Tree Huggers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
After having the tree huggers and whoopie slings for several months I thought I would try them out at the weekend before getting stuff packed for the moot. This is the kit that you get from DD - (huggers, whoopie slings and karbs) and I have it setup with the tree huggers around the tree with a karb (I prefer this to the marlin spike hitch) connecting the whoopie sling to it and then that is connected to the hammock. I have yet to thread it through the DD hammock channels.

I had two issues that I could think of with this setup.

The first, was when the tree thickness was fine for the huggers to go around once but not a second time. I set it up so that the tree hugger went through one of the end loops. But this left quite a bit of excess which made the hammock too low. (Hope that made sense! :eek: ) What would be the best way to shorten the tree hugger without resorting to a knife?

The second was when I thought about the much thicker trees that can be found down at the moot. I am not sure if the tree huggers will go all the way around them. In that situation what is the best way to deal with this with my current equipment and not having to buy additional amsteel?

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
I've used my huggers from dd just one round a tree with crab on the loops fine many many times as for tree that are too big, I've extended mine once with a triple length of proper paracord and been fine

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Any reason your not keen on the marlin spike hitch? If you used it you wouldn't have an issue with long tree huggers. I still use krabs on my set up. But I have them between hammock and woopie sling (I use a loop of the standard webbing rope through the end channel of my hammock, this then attaches to the sling using the karabiner).

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Whoopie slings create the adjustment from the huggers to the hammock, atleast for me.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
are you adjusting the whoopee sling?
I would use the marlin spike hitch to shorten the tree strop more to start with first though, so simple and effective.

Any reason your not keen on the marlin spike hitch? If you used it you wouldn't have an issue with long tree huggers. I still use krabs on my set up. But I have them between hammock and woopie sling (I use a loop of the standard webbing rope through the end channel of my hammock, this then attaches to the sling using the karabiner).

I guess I am not convinced by it even though I have seen it multiple times around the forums and on youtube. :rolleyes: It's all in the mind I guess and I feel more comfortable with the karabiner, but saying that I have put trust in knots I have tied for years and haven't had many issues :) . I may give it a try at the moot but the trees where I usually setup are quite wide so may have to go back to using the webbing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE