Survivorman Les Stroud's attempt to live off the grid (documentary)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I found this last night and it's worth a watch. Click through to YT and follow the parts. There are 7 in total. He attempts to move his family out to the woods full time and live their own version of Thoreau's 'Walden'.

[video=youtube;EoVjXV2cfus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoVjXV2cfus&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
i just wish i had the money to go off the grid like this lol

I saw almost the same comment in a Swedish "back to the land" forum; he did it fast and expensive, other have done it cheap and slow (or with different living standards).

I like the house(s) and land, would not be averse to doing the same (but it would take a lottery win).

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like the chaps work as a rule, but this one is not up to par. I've got the full episode and its a bit like Dick Proenneke's Cabin only updated and not as good if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong but this comes across to me as living off grid yuppy style (yuppy, bloody hell I'm showing my age). I'd still love the cabin and setup though :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I like the chaps work as a rule, but this one is not up to par. I've got the full episode and its a bit like Dick Proenneke's Cabin only updated and not as good if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong but this comes across to me as living off grid yuppy style (yuppy, bloody hell I'm showing my age). I'd still love the cabin and setup though :)

Have to say I agree with you there Richard.

forestwalker

I think what he did was to decide that

a. he wanted to live out in the bush
b. he wanted his children to have something approaching a normal upbringing
c. he wanted -- or his familly wanted -- to have most of the standard mod cons
d. for his work he needed decent Internet, electricity, etc.
e. he wanted to be independent of power bills, water mains breaks, etc

The "go out and build a log cabin, get water from the creek, have a small solar charger for the communications radio" style simply was not on under those conditions. Also, if he was able to sell a suburban home with a decent profit he might have had the money to just go ahead and do it, get it ready *now*, rather than do it all by himself over a 10 year period.

If I had to start over, but had a bit of money -- say UKP 2-30000 -- I could buy a small cabin around here with a perhaps few acres. Few modern conveniences to be expected for that kind of money, but liveable for me. Then I would gradually add some or most of what he had; some source of electrical power for computer, cell phone, charging batteries, etc. I would stick with wood heat, maybe eventually install a shower (drawback; once you have water installed you must keep the cabin above freezing all winter), etc. If I would develop a social life a guest cabin is nice to have, but a heated woorkshop for green woodwork and minor carpentry would be a priority for me.

But I would still need a job, still need to be able to get to it predictably on a daily basis, etc. A road that could be driven all year with a 4x4, or distances that made 4wheeler/bicycle and snowmobile/skis practical would be a must. And some seasons where that would not be fun if you needed to be at the office by 0800, and look presentable.

I would build a proper earth cellar rather than the pit in the floor that he had, perhaps have the pit as a handy fridge, and the earth cellar for more massive storage.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I think thats a great film, maybe Im just sleep deprived and beered up post night shift, but I wish I could do the same (and aspire to one day - maybe when I retire, on a smaller scale). I see everyones point about the whole process appearing far from eco (especially getting building materials in by chopper), but as forestwalker said - he had specific criteria to make it work and he wanted it done ASAP, also he obviously had the means to do so.
In terms about "too much technology" I like the way he himself put it - "we've come too far to go back to living in tipis and traveling by horse" (or something along those lines - its modern, convenient off the grid living and I really think he's gonna love it and hope his kids do.
Cheers for the post otherwise I would never have found this film. And now for the cribs episode.........

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
:lmao: Ha ha ha ha ha :lmao: I love the cribs
I see the family entertainment area became master bedroom!
Looks like he is living his dream with it done up - all the mod cons you could desire, off the grid in 150 acres (plus my dream of multiple wood burning stoves!!!)

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
i just wish i had the money to go off the grid like this lol

It's possible without a load of dosh. I did it for a few years, by default. Got divorced, needed somewhere to live near my kids. I had the choice of a caravan on a site with a load of crusties, or a boat. I chose the boat.

A small narrowboat was replaced by a much bigger dutch barge. Charging batteries by running genny or engine became charging by PV panel. Heating from wood-fired stove. No mains, no mains water or sewage.

GB_UK

May 29, 2011
Manchester
Cheers for the link, nice to watch.

The only thing a would say is you have to consider the maintenance of your own electriacal supply, the batterys will need replacing every 7 years. so its not totally free once you've paid for the installation.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I think that Les had more goals then just going off grid. To do that you don't need to live where cars can not drive. You may well be able to do it in your house if you live on the outskirts of a small town or village. If you have access to firewood, drill a well and install solarpanels, a 12volt system, and a composting toilet you are pretty much there.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I admire the lifestyle, not dependent on utility companies and such. The sad thing about this particular show is the Les and his lovely wife are now divorced. I read this only recently and I guess they have been apart since '08. Shame, they seemed like a perfect pairing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE