Suffolk Bushcraft Group Daniel Boone Challenge 20th and 21st September 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
To Carry on the Challenge set by Man of Tanith, and all the talk in the group of how we would do it, and when we do it, I decided to Set it up and make it group event, and extend it a bit.....

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102932

With the following generic kit list, spend two consecutive nights out. Construct at least one camp gadget. The Idea of the Challenge is to research and work out and practice with kit and skills that would have been used in those times, and to stick close to it, and to share some of the limitations or advantages of Equipment Mountain Men from the late 1700’s to the mid 1800’s, may well of had, so staying as close to the kit as possible......this will also encourage the exploration of new skills and Knowledge.

The Challenge will be over two nights in two different Woods, one being the Main Suffolk Bushcraft Group Woodland and the other being another woodland in the area, the two woodlands will be within a two mile walking distance from the starting area, and an easy navigable route.
For safety reasons the challenge will be done in Pairs, if there is more than one Pair for the Challenge they will stay in the opposite woods the swap for the second night. If there are more than Two groups then pairs must locate a separate area in the woodlands. Pairs and Woods will be drawn on the day at the start of the event.

When in the Secondary Woodland it is an SSSI – Please Respect it
Only Dead wood to be used

There is no Prize or Kudos intended in this Challenge, just the reward of any fun/knowledge you gain.....

Enjoy and let’s have a fun experience...

Kit List
2 Wool Blankets and canvas type swag or One Bedroll – ie Czech or Similar.
Waterproof Tarp.
Two Knives - Changed as I have found that a smaller knife was sometimes carried for general use in the Possibilty Bag
Axe or Saw, a choice of one - As a mater of interest I can not find any referance to Saws being carried....
Flint and Steel – Not Ferro Rod, I have found some referances to Lucifers... these were the sulphur mathes of the day, not common at all, but may be used. No moden day matches
Tinder box/Pouch with tinder types from the period, no modern materials i.e. NO Cotton Wool and Vaseline.
Water Bottle
Billy Can and Lid.
Cup.
Spoon Only
Food
Candle/Lantern for lighting.
Rucksack/Bag to carry items in.

Safety Items
Torch for emergency use only...
Phone.
First aid kit
Medication

Stansfield, Sudbury, Suffolk, CO10 8LN. Full details to follow meet will be around 14:00. At the Stansfeild Compasses..

Cost
The Site charge is £10 per person for the Weekend, fees for the site to be paid to me (Big Stu) as you arrive, this will have to be in cash.

Under 18s
Are welcome to attend, they are the responsibility of the Parent/Guardian that they came to the Event with, and will make up a team.

Behaviour
Our meets, are good natured and light hearted, with safety in mind, we aim to carry this on with self regulation, if it does not then the offending person will be asked to leave immediately.

Facilities
The nearest Toilet, Shower are back at a near Farm Yard, the nearest Tap to the Woodlands is about 600m from the Suffolk Bushcraft Group Woodland. Water will be available from the normal Tap At the farm yard for both Woodlands prior to start off and during the challenge.
Personal Hygiene - there are NO toilets in the woodland, apart from the ones at the Farm, please bring your Hygiene kits, as this is a smaller event over a larger area there will be no latrine dug, please use the normal method of bury, burn and mark.

Housekeeping
There is no Facility to leave rubbish on site or at the farm, please bring a Rubbish Bag for your waste and take it home; we have had occasions were other peoples pitches have been cleaned up by others, You Carry In – You Carry Out.

Fire Places and Fire scar’s to be kept to a minimum, if you make a Fire Scar for any reason, it is your responsibility to clean it up.

In the Main Woodland the SBCG Communal area, or items in the Communal area are not to be used.

Vehicles and Access and Parking for the event
Due to the amount of cars and access being required by the landowner, cars will go straight to the parking area for the duration of the stay, please do not block Gates and Barn doorways.

Other Info
We are still on probation at this site, so please keep to the simple rules and treat it with respect. Any person not adhering to the conditions will be asked to stop the activity.

Fire Wood can be gathered from around the sites, Dead Wood only to be used, No live wood to be cut.

All Attendee's, attend and take part in any activities at their own risk....by attending you agree to this term.

First Aid
There are no First Aid facilities on site, so you will need to bring your own kit, not just Plasters
The nearest A & E is 20 minutes drive at;
West Suffolk Hospital
Hardwick Lane
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk IP33 2QZ,
Switchboard: 01284 713000

If you plan to attend, then Paste and Copy Just the last Attendance list posted, place name on bottom of list.

List of Attending - Daniel Boone kit only, this is not a normal montly meet
1. Big Stu
2. RemeaviThanatos
3.Crosslandkelly. Looking forward to this.:)
4. Mitch66
5. Man of Tanith
6. Albus Culter
7. Andor

Helpfull Links for Information - complied with the help of other members of BCUK

Just Mountain Men
http://www.mman.us/index.htm - Big Stu 12, info just about Mountain men.
http://www.liv18thc.com/woodsman.htm - Man of Tanith - nice discription on how the Mountian Man may have carried and packed his kit
http://www.northwestjournal.ca/ - Man of Tanith, all sort of information, great kettle tutorial
http://www.coht.org/resources.html - Big Stu 12 - Loads of links to many other sites, and assorts of info
http://www.scoutingvermont.org/files/d/usr/27/gentledovehistory.pdf - Man of Tanith

General Info
http://www.historicaltrekking.com -Big Stu 12 - Forum for re-inactors, loads of info
http://www.varsityrendezvous.com - Big Stu 12 - Loads of information, good selection of other links..
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/ - Corso - Loads of information about Frontiers men around the world.
http://www.acws.co.uk/index.htm - Big Stu 12 - American Civil War Re-enactment UK - just for info and insperation for kit..

Supliers of Kit
http://www.civilwarsutler.co.uk/ - Corso - Some nice reenactment kit, bit late for Boonies, but nice kit.
http://jas-townsend.com/ Big Stu 12 - Us Supplier but good videos, and Ideas from kit they sell

Food
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpioneer.html - Albus Cutter - As title says
http://www.chronicleoftheoldwest.com/chuckwagon.shtml - Big Stu 12, some 1800 to 1900 food recipies,
http://www.whiteoak.org/historical-library/fur-trade/food/ - Big Stu 12, more info

Book Suggestions
A pilgrims journey - volume 1 and 2 - Mark Butler -http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/apilgrimsjourneybymarkabaker.aspx - Man Of Tanith .
The hunters of kentucky by ted franklin beule a history of the colonisation of kentuky-Mr Boone was very involved with this - Man Of Tanith
Life of Daniel Boone by Lyman C draper-biography of Boone- Man Of Tanith
American colonial ranger, the northern colonies by Gary s zaboly-illistrated lightweight read of rangers such as rogers rangers not quite boone time period but a lot of long hunters served, some good pics of kit/clothing/typical food stuffs - Man Of Tanith
War on the run by John F Ross-biography of Robert Rogers-fascinating read, - Man Of Tanith
Journals of Robert Rogers of the rangers- Robert Rogers own diaries of his military career, interesting reading - Man Of Tanith

Other Dates in SBCG Calander

September 6th and 7th 2013.- Monthly Meet
September 20th and 21st 2013 – Daniel Boone Challange

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ooh that sounds interesting.
I'll watch this thread lots and lots.

I've been working towards it for the last month or so, so more or less sorted...:)

Think this will be my kit I'll use, and it will be packed in my Old Italian Canvas rucksack... at the moment..lol,
My food is in plastic bags at mo, more then likely for the challenge will go to other containment.. :), not yet sure on axe or saw, I like the axe as the saw is a bit out out place being a sliky... lol

1 East German Poncho Tarp
2 Czech Bed Roll
3 Tarp Ridge Line - Will prob end up as a Hemp rope
4 Hygine Kit
5 Water Bottles
6 Small Bulldog Bully
7 Old Enamel Cup
8 Spoon
9 Coffee Grinds & Tea Leaves in leather Pouch
10 Herbs and spices in leather pouch
11 First Aid Kit inc Head torch
12 Bannock Mix - I hope will be in other containers by the Challenge
13 Dried Fruit - I hope will be in other containers by the Challenge
13 UCO Candle Lantern.. sorry miss numbered
14 Belt pouch for smaller bits ie Flint and steel
15 Cotton Cloth I use to wrap Biltong/Dorwears in
16 leather Tinder pouch and Flint and steel
17 Mora Knife - may change to one I have made if I finish it
18 Axe - Brades Criterion 312, may change to a tomahawk if i find one to refurb.....

DSC_0018 numbered.jpg

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
You do realise cotton is a natural tinder and was used during that time period :)

Yes.... it was produced in the Americas, but it was also very uneconomical to produce there until the late 1800's and took many man hours to manufacture until Cotton gins were invented, so I doubt much would have been used, unless it was used in the natural state.....as a bundle of fluff which is possible.. as are many natural plants

but was it used with Vaseline... ????

I know Vaseline was invented/first produced in the late 1800's, .. I doubt it would been widely available to people for a while. If i remember it derived from the oil wells in the east Americas

I spose it could be argued that Sap or Pitch could of been used instead...

It would be nice to be totally historically correct, and only use the items they had, the idea is to use as close to what they had.... and use it as a learning thing... if we just stuck to the exact then it would put people off, and others just could not afford to do it due to costs of things like Hudson bay blankets..

Always easy to pick holes as well.....

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I’ve been looking at doing this challenge since Man of Tanith threw down the Gauntlet, the question was the for me how should I do it, go with all the mod cons, or try to get as near as possible with what Equipment I had and could afford...

The answer for me lay somewhere in between, as I would of thought would for most people wanting to do it, it was also beginning to remind me of the sort of thing that I used to do in my teens, and started to bring the feeling that I had lost something over the last twenty to thirty years,.

So I looked at it first of all what sort of food would be good for the challenge, and started to look at what the guys would of ate, also what foods can be kept easy, for travailing with no modern storage, so for the last few meets I have been working out what to use and amounts for the weekend,

Food wise for the first couple of trips out I started to look at the old Damper/Bannock one that I used to use, yes that seemed to fit in with my taste still, and have now got it down to a nice art, adding Herbs and spices to taste, sometimes adding dried fruit as well.

Cans were out, because preserved canned food was not available to the Mountain men at the time, they were not really about until about 1820 even then very expensive, weight also would have been a factor, and fresh vegetables was just to heavy to carry much and would not last long, even thought they had them at trading posts, Cheese and milk would depend on climate and location.. so I may just use a day’s worth for the first day of the challenge.

Then it was onto what dried fruits, knowing that Apricots were taken with the Spanish settlers to the Americas I settled on them, Cranberries were also on the list as they were used by the Native Indians, I also found out they had Grapes, so Sultanas, Currants and Raisins went on the list,
Oats and cereals were available as well, Flapjack, and corn bread was readily available so that went on the list,

For the meat side of the diet I have been using well dried Biltong, not the wetter stuff, as this stores easier in cotton cloth without leaking grease every where... one of the things I will be trying is cooked and dried Mince Meat, I did find that a food called Pemmican was used as well, but decided against this..this was used just like we would an energy bar...

Here’s the recipe for three types
Basic Pemmican
2 oz. cooked, ground, and dried beef
2 and 1/2 oz. lard or vegetable fat (shortening)
Put the meat in a container lined with plastic film. Melt the fat and let it cool slightly to a gluey consistency. Pour the fat over the meat and let it harden. Wrap airtight and store, preferably in a freezer if you won’t need the pemmican for a while.
Pemmican #2
2 and 1/2 oz. lard or vegetable fat
1 T minced dried onions
Prepare as above.
Pemmican #3
3 oz. lard or vegetable fat
1/2 oz. dried (heat dried) ground berries
Prepare as above.

The kit and food will change as the next month or so passes up till the challenge, but the last couple of months was getting to the point where I was doing the challenge as true as I could.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Sounds fun, but going to have to make do with the kit I already have as I can't afford to go buying any more kit for the foreseeable future given how much I've already parted with getting the gear I have. Plus have family commitments and other interests that are requiring financial dispersals :)
Looking forward to doing the nearest I can get to the spirit of the adventure though.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
After looking at the food I spent some more time researching the Kit the Mountain men used, the first part of the kit carried was a bed roll made from blankets and a Canvas bag that had been waterproofed with wax or similar, this would be covered with a small water proofed Tarp or a very simple tent like affair, many used fair less, this is the basis of using a Czech bedroll...ok not waxed cotton, and has a zip.. but close and cheap.

Next onto the Sharps they tended to carry a knife, this was their most valued bit of kit, Axes where the next item as they gave a weapon and also could be used for a tool, could be a Tomahawk or any other axe they may well of carried, it did not matter it seemed to be personal preference, I may well use my Kent Pattern from John Riley as its the oldest I have, Saws seem not to be mentioned, I have not yet found any reference to them.

I've not really bothered about the Guns they carried as its not part of the challenge

As far as fire lighting goes, basic Matches were about but used as an oddity, there seems to be references to a preference to most using flint and steels, or friction, even to the point of friction being used a lot, as the flints would of been used/saved more for the Flint Lock Rifles unless they used the more up to date percussion caps, in which case the flint would just be for fire lighting.

As for tinder for fire lighting it would of been manly natural materials, Charcloth and the such were used , but one thing that has come to light while I have read, cotton was not that readily available or cheap in America until the end of the 1800’s due to the invention of the Cotton gin. Cotton Wool or “Cotton Candy was not invented until the late 1800’s, the other item us Bushcrafters use to light fires was not Patented until the 1890’s, so that was not available. So back to natural items picked up..

Lighting was by candles or the use of a carved out cup filled with fat, and a wick pushed in, or something very similar.

I am continuing to look into things, and will update and hopefully change my kit/food as I do.. That also depends on money...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
At the next monthly I will bring mu coppies of Kephart and Nessmuk, although late 1800's ther food and camping would have been the same.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Sounds fun, but going to have to make do with the kit I already have as I can't afford to go buying any more kit for the foreseeable future given how much I've already parted with getting the gear I have. Plus have family commitments and other interests that are requiring financial dispersals :)
Looking forward to doing the nearest I can get to the spirit of the adventure though.

I know what you mean about funds, I have the same, the only real things I have brought are the Bed roll £15 inc post, the poncho... got that as a demo one..:), old canvas sack £10 if i remember right.

the rest I had.. :), most of the list is the basis of a bushcrafter kit :)... in one form or other, for example the bed roll you have... you ground dwell, and you got a wool blanket.

But that's the thing do what you can.. for example a candle lantern can be made for peanuts out of rubbish.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice thread Stu, I see your really going for it. Can't wait to see the results :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE