1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StarCocoon Hammock Sleepng Bag".

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by wanderinstar, Apr 19, 2008.

1. wanderinstar

wanderinstar On a new journey

New product, new name.
    Right an all enveloping bag that combines the qualities of the underblanket and quilt. It will be made from same materials as U/B and quilt.But the insulation will be Softie 6 instead of Softie 9. It will however have Reflectatherm built in to bring it back up to same spec but lighter. It will have 2 loops at each end to fasten to hammock rings. The top closure will be by full length zip. The zip will be able to zip down from the top and up from the bottom. So leaving an adjustable size hole for your face.
    It should be lighter than U/B and Quilt combined.
    Well that is the spec. Will be contacting Snugpak next week for a sample and cost.

Anyone interested?

2. Aliwren

Aliwren Nomad

Im not sure I understand how this works. Does the 'underblanket' base still go beneath the hammock meaning that the hammock is passed through the cocoon or does the whole cocoon go above the hammock similar to a sleeping bag?

If passed through wouldn't the edges of the hammock hold the top blanket away from you creating a space and affecting heat retention?

3. Dougster

Dougster Full Member

I believe this will go both under and over the hammock as in a Cocoon, acting as underblanket and quilt.

Due to the height of the sides of the hammock I would have thought it would be possible to get another bag in if you needed and if not then have extra room in the summer. It would also mean you could get dressed in the warmth of the cocoon.

A great alround idea that I will watch with interest, the biggest factor for me will be the price tag

4. widu13

widu13 Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I've not got any imagination so would need to see a piccy!

5. wanderinstar

Dougster, you have the idea. Will have to be careful with width measurements, as this will obviously mean it will be too tight or have too much room above . But still air is an insulator and with the Reflectatherm it should make it quite toasty. In deep winter you could also use your u.b and quilt inside. But I MEAN deep winter.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Settler

Ian, sounds interesting, couple of things, you say the zips will allow you to create a hole for your face, if the top of the cuccoon is above the sides of the hammock are you going to be able to put your face through it, won't it be too far away and if left zipped closed would the material breath or is condensation likely to build up inside in winter. not citisizing just want to get a better picture of the finished product.

7. Mirius

Mirius Nomad

I'm interested in this, though since I'm a hammock virgin I'll need to wait until at least next weekend when I can make a complete fool of myself attempting to put it up to know how well it'll suit me.

8. litefoot

litefoot Forager

Sounds interesting Ian,I look forward to seeing how this developes.Good luck with it and thanks for the work you put in for the rest of us.
    Litefoot:)

9. wanderinstar

Alan,
    If the zip is left closed, you will get condensation inside. The idea of it opening from the middle is to accommodate different heights and sleeping positions.I have seen one of these zips on a certain hammock. The idea is to have a hole above your face, not have your face stuck out. You would get cold choppers that way.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Settler

right, got a better idea of what you mean now ian, will keep a close eye on this, could be just the ticket to reducing my kit weight.

11. andy_e

andy_e Native

So, will it be a little bit like an extra-wide underblanket that you can zip the sides together to make a cocoon in colder weather?

12. Dougster

Dougster Full Member

Oooh - succinct. Nicely put.

13. wanderinstar

Basically, yes. But with the added bonus of Reflectatherm for that bit extra.

14. Aliwren

Aliwren Nomad

Thanks for explaining sounds a great idea!

15. widu13

widu13 Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I'm getting it now. I take it those hammocks with mossie nets would either have to be reversed or the net slept on?

16. wanderinstar

Yes, thats right I'm afraid. Seperate mozzie net ala Magikelly would be needed.

17. SimonM

SimonM Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Sounds like a good idea Ian. Sadly I won't be able to use it with my Hennesey.....

So if anybody has an underblanket & quilt combo and wants to sell it now that there is an alternative ...... drop me a PM!

Simon

18. andy_e

andy_e Native

The good thing is when it's cold enough that you'd need to use it, you don't need a mossie net.

Will be very interested in seeing the end design.

19. Bozle

Bozle Tenderfoot

20. Humpback

Humpback On a new journey

Wanderingstar
    Interested but sadly my Henessy precludes!
    Good luck with the project.
    Alan

PS the built in ridge line is the problem really, not the mosquito net, so I can't "reverse" it