Onetigris Hideout vs Night Protector with Snugpack Quilt/Cocoon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I'm looking for an underquilt to go with a Hammock. Or possibly the Snugpak Hammock Cocoon but, it looks like it is narrow.

Onetigris information is pretty sparse so, I'm wondering what is the real difference between the Hideout and Night Protector (3-season version). With these I would probably also get a Snugpack top quilt.

The Snugpak Hammock Cocoon costs the same and is probably a really good integrated solution but, with a 34" width seems pretty narrow but, that may be good for heat conservation and turning away wind or a stiff breeze.

Since I am 5'6" with a 32" waist, I'm thinking the Snugpack Cocoon might be a little 'tight' but, also should be warmer since there is no open seam between the quilt and underquilt. I am leaning heavily towards a DD Frontline Hammock but, could be swayed to go somewhere else.

So, Snugpack or Onetigris? If Onetigris, Hideout or Night Protector? Pro's and Con's?

TIA,
Sid (from the USA)

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I'm looking for an underquilt to go with a Hammock. Or possibly the Snugpak Hammock Cocoon but, it looks like it is narrow.

Onetigris information is pretty sparse so, I'm wondering what is the real difference between the Hideout and Night Protector (3-season version). With these I would probably also get a Snugpack top quilt.

The Snugpak Hammock Cocoon costs the same and is probably a really good integrated solution but, with a 34" width seems pretty narrow but, that may be good for heat conservation and turning away wind or a stiff breeze.

Since I am 5'6" with a 32" waist, I'm thinking the Snugpack Cocoon might be a little 'tight' but, also should be warmer since there is no open seam between the quilt and underquilt. I am leaning heavily towards a DD Frontline Hammock but, could be swayed to go somewhere else.

So, Snugpack or Onetigris? If Onetigris, Hideout or Night Protector? Pro's and Con's?

TIA,
Sid (from the USA)
For what it's worth Sid, I got the hideout underquilt. I was pretty underwhelmed by it. I got it to replace an el cheepo one and when i got it, I was heading to camp when I unpacked it was more or less the same underquilt got to replace my cheap one. The difference was a slightly the better stuff sack and a camo pattern on the hideout. it's about £10 more too. I have no experience with the snugpak cocoon other that the idea of a under and over quilt in one package has got to be better than toting two items to do the same thing

Reactions: sidpost

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've got underquilts from DD hammocks and they work well with DD hammocks (as expected) and pretty well with my Hennessy hammock.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I have a DD underquilt , works well with the frontline hammock .. in winter I use the snugpak cocoon , plenty of room for me , s sleeping bag if needed and super warm and cozy , only issue for me is it’s quite bulky especially if you are also using a sleeping bag inside it .

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
The narrow width of the cocoon is intentional, its close fit helps to keep you warm using your own body heat rather than heating empty space. In the end it’s down to what makes you comfortable, I find them too small but then again at 6’4” and 220 Lbs (not fat) I’m too big (and heavy) for a lot of hammocks on the market.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Depending on which hammock-underquilt combo you go for it can be easier or harder to get the fit dealed in properly. Easiest managed with the help of a second willing pair of hands. I've always got that issue with the DD underquilt for my HH. Could be solved by me spending some time modifying and marking up the attachments, but I certainly couldn't afford anything more expensive at the time, so I'm happy to fiddle a bit extra the first time I set it up each trip/season.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I have the DD underquilt, and the Snugpak. Both great with my TTTM double hammock.

I think most quilts tend to fit the person more than the hammock. So long as they're gathered end hammocks.

I tend to use the Snugpak more. It's a little bigger and a little warmer, but also a little heavier.
With the Snugpak top quilt I'm good to about 10°c. Much lower temps and I take a lightweight bag or thermal liner as well. Then I'm good to 0°c. With a 3 season bag I can camp in really cold temperatures!
Much more freedom and ease (less wriggling) with the top quilt.

Personally I don't like the idea of the cocoon. One of my real pleasures is lying in bed able to see and hear everything around me, and the feeling of freedom. The cocoon sounds a little claustrophobic to me. But that's just me. I'm sure it works for others.

I've had to fiddle about with my set up to get it right. But now that it's dialed in it's pretty quick and easy to deploy.

Like a lot of kit, it's trial and error to find what works for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE