More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
we hit the carboot a bit late as herself was in a state of open revolt until pacified with a large bacon sandwich and pint of milky tea.

The surplus tool stall was on but I only spent £4 this time, the guy threw in the bent, (Rusty but unused, will start pickling as soon as soon as this is sent) file as he considered it damaged. Since I've never seen a good quality file bend rather than snap and there are only teeth on the outside curved side and one edge and other clues I think it was deliberately made that way. Partially visible is the word England, I may be able to see the makers mark when it's cleaned up.

image_zps9fd28ceb.jpg

Anyroad more to the point I found another scotch eye auger adapter. I'm afraid I've lost all track of who asked me to look for one first, as opposed to expressed a vague interest so who wants it? It does need surface rust removing, it took five mins to wire brush the other one, and cost me a negligible amount. I'd prefer a swap to cash . Anyone still interested?

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Herself dragged me to the boot today in search of windscreen wipers (and she found them as well, much to my suprise). With it raining until about 6 I thought it wouldn't be worth the effort but it had cleared up some by the time we wandered up and my tool man was on site. Heres the haul this time all unissued with the odd bit of storage rust and cosmo' that will clean off easily.

carboot081213_zpsedffa7a5.jpg

two Brades brand timber dogs £1.50 each No idea why I got them as I dont have a adze or side cutting axe thingy, but you never know

Wooden handle eyed awl £1

A gross of time brass round headed screws 50p

Some excellent odd 45 % side cutting pliers, arrow marked 1945 by GEORGE something, will be able to see who when I have the rust off them £1.50

4 man sized files, the top one is Portugese but the rest Sheffield brands, brand new and cost £10 for the lot. there should be a triangular one as well but that has been missplaced. If I buy them in the handles will cost as much! I'm rather chuffed with them. I did miss out on a forge and bits to go with, not on site but if it falls through with the guy he was dealing with I may have a shot at it. I am not holding my breath!

The rulers for scale.

I also got a unsmoked owl shaped clay pipe for a quid.

Oh yeah and in ASDA I broke and bought the Tudor farm book for £10 I couldnt wait for it to hit the bargain bins about easter time!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Damn Tom, I'm coming shopping with you one day! Those log dogs and files are great!

I never find anything like this at the car boots I go to either. Plastic tat and broken electrics. Must be doing something wrong.

Those files are lovely.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup, when I saw them in the bottom of the box I thought I had hit pay dirt and found handle less draw knives but alas there's no bevel on them. A fter a bit of research I found some of the staple shaped things on eBay that sold for £22 and they are actually slaters cutting bridges/rests. No idea how they are used but if I don't pass them on they will do as timber dogs. They have a Brades co. part number of 1698.

ive paid my karmic debt for them, just spent 10 hours solid helping the youngest making a coke and mint volcano, the 3rd in 4 years , left to the last minute of course. To make it different from the last one this has a second vent and the main ones a crater lake in a caldera. To make the "lake" surface we painted some mesh blue. The mints will slide down the secondary vent.

the files are really good quality. Ill wire brush the bit of rust on the tangs and find some good handles for them.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Since I had to stay in anyway i spent some time cleaning up the carboot finds.

CleanedUpTools2013_zps7b2baf99.jpg

I had a couple of No. 3 Python Safety handles in store so I will be fitting them after tea. The awl handle has been sanded and will now spend 24 hrs soaking in linseed oil.

This pair of pliers, are they meant for a specific job as they are somewhat different to the run of the mill side cutting wire cutters.

CleanedUpTools2014_zpsd65d2c2a.jpg

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely job Tom - one day I'll send you a truck load of tools for your lovely restoration touch.

I'm intrigued by the side cutters....

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! ive still got a lot of my own to finish yet! Today I policed up all the files I could and gave them a good file carding and oiled the handles and finally sat down and did a stock take so I can avoid getting repeats. so far I have no really big three squares and not many rough or just ********. Still I will do a card for my wallet with what to look for rather than try and remember what I have. I should do the same for chisels and gouges I suppose.

FileStocktake_zpse78da697.jpg

ATb

Tom

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Bloody hell, enough files for a lifetime. what are you making?

Hi all
we hit the carboot a bit late as herself was in a state of open revolt until pacified with a large bacon sandwich and pint of milky tea.

I can just imagine the look on her face, LOL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE