Just taught my eldest son to ride a bicycle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Just wanted to share this.

The smile, no, the wide grin on his face when he got the hang of it. I am the most proudest dad. ever :)

Damn they grow so quickly!

Brilliant - Such a great feeling.

My (now 8) daughter hasn't looked back since her big solo day without any assistance. She now looks forward after riding teeth first into the back of my wife's car! (Only funny now - Not at the time. Ouch!)

We are going to teach our 1 year old to ride on a hobby horse (bikes without pedals). We really like those wooden bikes from the Netherlands and Germany.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know what you mean Malente... I can still remember when my daughter went off on her bike without the stabalisers for the first time and its got to be one of the proudest moments I have.

Congratulations to your son for gaining his first wheels :D

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
There wasn't a moment like that for me.

My son was using stabilisers on his wee bike, when one day I noticed they were angled up like the wings on a Stuka. They must have buckled upwards and he'd been riding around with them like that for a while.

No, he wasn't 12 etc., etc., ...

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Cheers all!

He had a hobby horse before, which now has been passed on to his younger brother. I think having a hobby horse before helped him a lot with the balance.

Myiagi, that sounds bril! Even though you missed the actual moment, which doesn't matter, he figured it out himself! That's something to be proud off.

Mike

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Lance Armstrong recomends removing the peddals and propelling the bike with the feet instead of using stabalisers.Very similar to your sons hobby horse I reckon.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
There wasn't a moment like that for me.

My son was using stabilisers on his wee bike, when one day I noticed they were angled up like the wings on a Stuka. They must have buckled upwards and he'd been riding around with them like that for a while.

No, he wasn't 12 etc., etc., ...

That's exactly what happened with me on a bike, my dad noticed the stabilisers weren't touching the ground so he took them off and I was well away. I got my lad a knackered spiderman bike and took the crank off and he pushed himself around for a bit, then I put it back on and took him down the park. I explained he would crash but it wouldn't matter, pushed him around for a bit then let go and he was off. He crashed a few times, cried then decided to man up and get back on and ride like the wind.
He hasn't looked back and will be getting a full sized bmx(one of mine) next year I reckon.

Riding bikes has been a big part of my life so it was a great day! It's one of those ultimate dad moments that don't happen often, I'll bet you'll be smiling every time you think about it this week Malente!

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
My Son is desperate to ride his bike but no matter how hard I try he cant get the hang of pushing the peddles forward. He just takes the easy option and peddles backwards - little sod!

Anyone else had this "problem"?

ATB, Jon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE