"firesteels"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What's the best firesteel? The ferro rod I mean.

I lost my light my fire small version which is better than the vango replacement I think. Was going to replace it with the 2.0 version of lmf. Worth it?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
What's the best firesteel? The ferro rod I mean.

Worlds of difference between a firesteel and a ferro rod.

I lost my light my fire small version which is better than the vango replacement I think. Was going to replace it with the 2.0 version of lmf. Worth it?

I don't know the new LMF but the old one works for me. The absolutely best ones I have are called the 'BlastMatch' and the 'StrikeForce', both from the same manufacturer. One is a one-hand operating thing with a light spring that lets the rod slip into a plastic housing containing the striker; the other is a chunky case with the striker built into the lid. Either is excellent.

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/ust_website/root/blastmatch.html
http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/ust_website/root/strikeforce_fire_starter.html

Last year I bought some ferro rods in a Group Buy that Duncan (FGYT) did. They're good too, he might even have some left.

There's a bit of a trade-off with ferro rods. You can have a huge shower of hot sparks but the rod wears quickly, or you can have a big shower of hot sparks and the rod wears more slowly. As I tend to use a lighter most of the time I usually go for the huge shower.

Any of them will corrode badly if left for a long time in a damp environment.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Ooooh, hang on, we haven't really mentioned the strikers. They vary as much as the rods, if not more. I did a GB on them earlier in the year, check the GB section for a highly recommended one.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Ooooh, hang on, we haven't really mentioned the strikers. They vary as much as the rods, if not more. I did a GB on them earlier in the year, check the GB section for a highly recommended one.

i was just about to ged :)

i'd highly recommend them too, i only really use a ferro rod for lighting stoves and the strikers do a great job of that

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The LMF is superb... Tried uncle ray's but its a close second.

Striker wise, the square mounted carbon rod in the black plastic handle is superb. As mentioned in the GB.

Last edited:

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
LMF scout for me, smaller, when out and about I only need to use it once if its a fire.
If I'm using it to light bar be que or gas then still only a couple of strikes.
The fact it will last me a long time and is not as bulky as some gets my votte.
The striker plastic handle with thumb holder and square metal is bril. Great for kids as well as adults(all my kids own one and they are from 7-12).

I stear away from the saw strikers as I've seen more injuries from them than from folding saws and knifes!

V

ViamFec

Not really, there are definitely differences between rods from different companies.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Quite odd that there is such a difference between the some of the rods then, guessing they would all be made to a standard mix just formed in differing sizes,

I find it's the coating that differs most. They also make different mixes - some are designed to be more hard wearing (less prone to corrosion). I think these give off less sparks, but hotter sparks.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hmmm the two most different i have are one from FYGT which i beive may have come from the group buy on here, and a woodlore bouggt one which I think is a fireflash branded one? the thinner group buy one is very much softer and give no where near the amount of hot sparks that the fireflash one does which is much harder and thicker, the ones from the blast match are imo the same hardness bottom the fireflash ones, the both give consistent sparks where as the group buy softer one gives a good shower only if scraped hard down a longer length( this could well be due to the width though) but all start fires very well:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE