Biker's Cabin in the Woods (with WiFi)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Having read British Red's thread about his cottage restoration and Pignut's Log cabin build. I figured it's time I began one of my own.

I've started a blog already but to be honest I am struggling with the software placing things in their correct order and such. This is the first time I've really done anything like that. My website is managed by my Webmaster in Denmark so all I have to do is tell him what I want and he performs his magic and it's done. Getting this blog to sit up and beg is a whole new kettle of fish for me.

So anyway I think what I'll do is make this thread a sort of back up blog and refer to the other one when something new's been added.

Here's my rather modest blog There's only two pages thus far, with several photos, but like I said more stuff and details will be added to it over the coming weeks and months.

Any questions, ask away.
Any suggestions - other than blow it up and start again - suggest away. :cool:

Thanks for reading. Wish me luck! I think I need it.

Here's the house. It's a prefab concrete construction, rather like you'd find a council garage made out of. The original owner built it back in 1967... I don't think he owned a spirit level either. :confused:

The outside walls had been rendered and is quite waterproof. The roof is corrugated concrete/asbestos mix and new double glazed windows were fitted throughout back in 2009. (I think it effectively doubled the value of the house :lmao:)

dsc09673.jpg

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Luck Aaron - btdt!

Can one of your mates lend you a dozer or back hoe? If he didn't put rebar into that concrete it won't take long to clear

A home is a home - now its just how much sweat you put in :) It looks great - really looking forward to the updates!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looks great Aaron, A bijou chateau in the making. You really must be pleased as punch, I know I would be. And space enough in the grounds for a studio man cave by the looks of it?

You have to keep us posted on your progress once that shoulder lets you back at it.

All the best mate,

Colin.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Congratulations on the new acquisition Biker. Lots of potential there! Having a place to call your own where you can do as you please is a great feeling.

Biker

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies.

BR - Getting a JCB or a dozer into the garden would be a bit difficult as there's a sort of old shed/garage right beside the front gate blocking full access to the garden, plus you'd have to take it down a very narrow dirt track. I have a mate with a small digger but even if he did come and smash and bash I would prefer to be a bit surgical about dismantling these fine pieces of art sifting through a huge piles of debris would take just as much time to do it piece by piece. Besides, who knows, they could be worth something? :)lmao:)

GB - Shoulder's feeling a bit better, not 100% though. I need to get the main room livable in the house for starters as my rent on this loft I'm living in expires on the 15th of this month and I rally want to get out and be there at the house. It's doable and I've lived in more spartan conditions before, to be honest I can't wait! But heaping the place up with all my worldly goods wouldn't leave me any room to work. Catch 22.

BB07 - Yup, just having that chateau and calling it mine is such a good feeling.

JohnC - Feel free to come and take any of those sculptures you want, they're not going anyplace anytime soon ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Reading through the captions on the pictures on the blog, "...the lobby and porch." Almost made me spit out my tea with laughing. Haven't heard it called that in years and my folks would clout me if I ever referred to the "Hall" as the "Lobby".

Biker

Good luck Aaron and keep us all posted on progress.

Thanks. Will do.

Good luck, I reckon you'll have a great time with it!

Already am! Thanks for the good luck wishes too.

Oh! - now that looks like a fun project!
I love the Inca Temple ... we will have to start calling you "Indie" :)

"Sir" will be quite sufficient. :cool:

Reading through the captions on the pictures on the blog, "...the lobby and porch." Almost made me spit out my tea with laughing. Haven't heard it called that in years and my folks would clout me if I ever referred to the "Hall" as the "Lobby".

Glad to see the irony wasn't lost. I referred to the single only bedroom/living room as the banqueting the other day whilst on Skype to my Mother... I heard crickets chirping immediately afterwards. Sometimes she just doesn't get my brand of humour. This house lends itself to irony too. That outside "porch" is made out of double glazed window units. Can anyone else clue me into why someone would do that??! Also they right at forehead height too and I have found them the hard way several times. Victor, the original owner, was about 5'3". I'm 5'8". :stretcher:

You back in the UK then dude?

Windy

No Windy, this is in Normandy France. In fact it's in the same village I lived in for 8 years before Alison and I separated last year. I tell ya it's great to be back here again.

It's got a lot of potential and you have the skills to make it into some rather fine. Good luck.

Thanks Wayne. Certainly having the skills of a "car painter" helps enormously. :)

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Have a demolition party everybody brings their tool of choice ,sledge hammers, crow bars etc etc one day in the garden it would be flattened ,I mean who doesn't like to demolish things (great stress relief )
The clearing up party might be a bit harder to sell mind you :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That has got so much potential; nice one :)

How much hassle did you have dealing with the French state before it was yours!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks the biz mate... looking forward to our tandem projects. Though I dare say yours will move faster then mine.
;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Sack fulls of potential that has.i'm a joiner for a living.ive not masses of knowledge on the bushy stuff but if it's building work don't hesitate too ask no matter how trivial.ill be watching this thread

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE