BCB cooling scarf

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
BCB Cooling Scarf
I thought I’d pen a quick review on a small & unusualitem – the BCB cooling scarf.
These have been available for some time now and I’ve oftenlooked at them but never bought one thinking ‘how good can it be’ and ‘I doubtit would work’. However finding a few quid ‘spare’ in my pay pal account and thinking of all the hot weather we are having Ithought I’d finally give it a go and bought one. After all, what’s the worstthat can happen? I lose £4 and gain a strip of cloth…..
The scarf arrived and my first impression was that it didn’tlook much. The scarf come flat and in mine it felt as if there were only a fewgrains of the water absorbing crystals and I wasn’t confident that it wouldactually work.
The instruction leaflet had a few well written tips on howto use it and so I followed their advice and immersed my scarf in half a litreof cold water and left it to soak for about 15 mins. Coming back to check on thescarf it had started to swell up as the poly crystals soaked up the water. Ileft it for an additional 5 mins to reach the recommended 20mins soaking timeand then removed the now larger scarf.
Squeezing out the excess water I promptly tied the scarfaround my neck and was relieved to find that it did indeed feel cold and thatit didn’t leak water over my t-shirt or down my back.
Now I first wore my scarf over the weekend of the 13[SUP]th[/SUP]& 14[SUP]th[/SUP] July – a very hot weekend, while on a trip into the woodswith my children to make some basic wooden bows and do some outdoor cooking.
All through the day the scarf did indeed provide me with anelement of cooling around my neck and periodically turning it around, as recommendedin the ‘instructions’ I was always provided with a cool area against my skin.
The instruction leaflet states that you should re soak thescarf every 3 days, although I found that it needed topping up after two – althoughthis may have been down to the hot weather.
I left the scarf out overnight in the cool air and asexpected had a cool / cold scarf ready to use the next day.
I’ve since used the scarf on most of the hot days we’ve hadof late and have been impressed with how much it has helped keep me feelingcooler.
Overall I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by thisscarf, while it’s not going to chill you right down it does provide a nice coolarea on your neck that does help your body’s own methods for cooling down.
One problem I have come up against is that of keeping itclean. After about three weeks of hot sweaty use mine could do with a wash, althoughI doubt the scarf would survive the wash!
I’m looking at a couple of options, 1) undo the seam andempty out the poly crystals. Pop the now empty scarf in the wash and thenrefill and re sew the seams. 2) sponge clean the surface of the scarf and thenuse febreeze to make it smell better!
Also, looking at the scarf I’m fairly sure that the polycrystals in it are the same as those used in disposable nappies...... Which gets me thinking about having a go at making my own home made version, it is after all only afabric tube with a few crystals inside, in a range of sizes – to go round the wristfor example & colours – for the fashionconscious bushcrafter!!
Finally would I recommend the BCB cooling scarf? Yes, Iprobably would. For less than £5 you get a useful little item that does do whatit says on the tin – helps to provide a constant additional cooling effect aroundthe neck. Although I wouldn’t recommend wearing around the forehead asmentioned in the instructions as you look bloody stupid! (Or maybe that’s justme!!)

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks for the review!

Just today I got a similar scarf in the mail (made by Aqua Coolkeeper). I had the same first impression about the amount of crystals inside, but after soaking it looks as if there are more than enough of them inside!

And as always the heat just disappeared. It was very hot for about a week (with temperatures above 30° C from sunday on), and just today, a few hours ago, the temps dropped to 22° C. I am not unhappy about that, but no use for the new cool cooling scarf :rant:

I bought a cooling bandana and a wrist cooler together with the scarf. Looking forward to using them all on the next hot day!

Regarding the cleaning... mine came with the instructions that it can be hand washed with a mild soap and warm water.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I bought one the other day from ebay. the cheapest I could find was a bit dearer than £4.00 though (heatwave price no doubt). It does work moderately well but when you look at what it is made of you can see they have made a terrific mark up on the manufactured price. I put mine in the fridge overnight and let it re soak in an ice cream tub of water.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Can't understand the craze for these and the expensive Tilley ones . A regular bandana will do the same. It's more multifunctional and it's not like we're short of watta . A few drops from a tap or canteen and it's damp and cool enough to help regulate tempretures. Just my two bob ;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I bought one several years back from an Australian company, overall I was impressed but the only drawback was after a short while my neck had heated the cold water and it became to uncomfortable to wear until it had been re-soaked.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I bought one of these used it once put it down and I have never seen it again, pity coz it was really cool in the summer

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
I have since found mine and I took it to Thailand with me back in the summer, it was a revelation, kept me cool all holiday, great bit of kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE