New Cherry bow, silk backed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,

This is a new one all finished up besides the new owners name under the handle. Wish i could do this my self but my handwriting puts a doctors to shame.
This bow is from prunus avium, our edible cherry. Lovely wood this although you wanna watch the dust! Made a nice job of making my nose swell to the point it became infected, all better now but ouch. This bow is 60 inches long so a shortie and pulls about 50lbs at 28 (sorry mate i know you wanted 40 but i may scrape the top limb a little yet before sending it out ;) ) Anyways its s nice shooter as all of the length of the bow including the recurves is working hard.

I really like this shape and style and the next one will be similar but much more natural.

Resting
P4270009.jpg

back
P4270006.jpg

tips
P4270016.jpg

Cadmium back showing throug the silk
P4270019.jpg

handle
P4270020.jpg

P4270021.jpg

Braced
P4270022.jpg

P4270027.jpg

Rubbish full draw but thats cameras and timers. The arrow is 33 inch.
P4270031.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not too shabby. Never tried backing a bow using Silk must give it a go. Nice tiller.

What glue did you use?

Cheers all,

The backing is pretty easy once you have had a few goes. I size the bow first and let it dry. Then i thin out some more glue with water and soak the silk which is cut roughly to size. Glue wise i likeTightBond 2 but have used the BnQ special in the past with little difference. Once the silk is soaked i clamp at the handle and spread out the silk to the tips taking out any bubble en route. Once dry i trim with a sharp blade then sand very gently from back to belly.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I got a good deal on some issue cold weather boots years ago and they were my pride n joy but they eventually died after about 4 years off abuse.
Our kid got me these orkney ones kinda lst min before we did our winter hill trip and they were great, vibram soles but i know they aint gonna last more than a season or two. Got me through a couple of even odds foot holds..

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Nice piece of work Dwardo. Good shape. I really must go cut some wood and get back to scraping...been very slack over the last year...

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice piece of work Dwardo. Good shape. I really must go cut some wood and get back to scraping...been very slack over the last year...

Would be nice to see some of your work again mate. Its one of those jobs where you have to be months ahead of your self and if you slack a bit you end up with nothing ready to work on.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Not realy gone into the selling phase yet as my baby boy keeps me pretty busy at the min.
Will pm you but you need to delete some pm`s first ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE