What do you guys eat for brekky and packed lunch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Where you get the bacon grill from John. I can never find the decent stuff like they used to have in the old style ration packs.

I have the problem that my wife can eat as much junk and fried food as she like but stays a size 10. I eat the same stuff and become rounder each day.

Lidl is best! then Plumrose :D
Greasy processed food Mmmmmmmmm!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most days my breakfast is a 50/50 mix of the Aldi lookalike Shreddies and Rice Crispies, full fat milk and topped off with a decent portion of dried fruit -- a couple of apricots, three or four dates, a couple of desert spoons of raisins and as many prunes as I think I'll need that day. :) The fruit comes from a place called Julian Graves, I don't know how big a chain it is but it's just dried fruit, usually sold in half kilo or 1 kilo bags. If she and I have the time we'll do what we call a mountain man breakfast (a hugely unhealthy but very enjoyable fry-up, the name shamelessly nicked from the gang here on the forum) or occasionally we'll nip out to the local motorcycle dealer and get something similar there.

I don't usually do much for lunch, mostly work through it. Maybe I'll grab a cheese sandwich. But I make up for it in the evening with things like pizza, macaroni cheese, or old stalwarts like sausages, beans and mash.

I'm another one of the racing snakes. A guy who used to work for me said it's nervous energy.

Recent regime at home was...
(lots more carbs when "out")

Breakfast porridge+ skimmed milk
Lunch soup (no bread)
Evening meat + salad or steamed veg (no carbs)
Snacks / deserts fresh fruit
No booze mon- fri just lo cal drinks. Some wine at the weekend.
Half hour cycle every morning

Above worked for me really well, weight dropped off

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Bacon Grill..nom nom nom
100_2750.jpg

Nothing better to clear the head after a boozy night under the trees...as long as there's plenty of coffee too:eek:

Simon

forestwalker

Breakfast (winter): porridge (one can make it in the micro, a bit over 3 min on full blast, right in the bowl)
Breakfast (summer): muesli with yoghurt (around here one can get a somewhat thinner, 3% fat, yoghurt that is perfect for this application, I use a non-fruity muesli (the fruity ones can be 30+% sugar!).

Both of these are fairly quick and easy to make, in winter I need to run thr woodstove anyway in the morning, else the microwave make short work of porridge, and some milk-product + muesli are even quicker to fix.

For lunch I bring some leftovers and reheat in the micro (there is *always* one in every Swedish break room I've ever seen), or sensible sandwiches.

For bread I tend to bake myself, the last loaf was in the style of the Finnish "jälkiuunilimppu", an extremely slow rise full grain rye sourdough bread, but as long as it is full grain life is good.

Balanophage

Apr 11, 2011
UK
www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk
Usually have toast, but certainly porridge is more filling, and can be jazzed up with apple or other fruit, jam, sauces etc. Adding natural yogurt and honey is good too. I've never tried the soak overnight in juice approach; I'd be worried that it'd end up tasting 'raw', unless the acid in the juice 'cooks' the oats. The other quick breakfast thing is cottage cheese and egg muffin - we found that while low-carbing a couple of years ago. Much better hot than cold though. Make in advance then split and toast for a few minutes.

Lunch is usually a cheese salad sandwich, or some kind of thick soup. I do like the sound of sandbender's oat cakes though!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
in the week;
home-brand cornflakes/shreddies/rice crispies/weetabix with semi-skimmed milk and maybe a couple of slices of toast and jam for breakfast
cheese and ham/mushroom omelette and a piece of fruit for lunch
home-made chilli, shepards pie, toad in the hole, bangers and mash, lasagne etc. for tea
maybe some more cereal for supper

at the weekend;
cereal for breakfast
bacon sarnies for second breakfast
kaffee und kuchen in the afternoon
take away pizza, curry, burgers, kebabs etc. for supper

all washed down with masses of black coffee and frequent bottles of beer/lager/cider/wine

5'11" 10st3lb, not entirely sure how i do it

stuart

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
trying to shed a little bit of weight so one apple for brekki, one at about 1030 one at 12, one a 1430 and one when i get home,

normally lots of bread and cereal for brekki, and sandwiches for lunch/ wraps

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
For brekky, oatmeal with 50/50 normal milk and water (all milk is too heavy) with a good tablespoon of honey or golden syrup and half a banana :D

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
in the week;
home-brand cornflakes/shreddies/rice crispies/weetabix with semi-skimmed milk and maybe a couple of slices of toast and jam for breakfast
cheese and ham/mushroom omelette and a piece of fruit for lunch
home-made chilli, shepards pie, toad in the hole, bangers and mash, lasagne etc. for tea
maybe some more cereal for supper

at the weekend;
cereal for breakfast
bacon sarnies for second breakfast
kaffee und kuchen in the afternoon
take away pizza, curry, burgers, kebabs etc. for supper

all washed down with masses of black coffee and frequent bottles of beer/lager/cider/wine

5'11" 10st3lb, not entirely sure how i do it

stuart
You can go 'off' people you know!
Alan
5ft 8 and too embarrased to say how much but far too much!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i really like the idea of cereals but i cannot stomach them in the morning. So i always have a hot breakfast which is mostly toast with humous or peppered mackerel pate or similar (sardines or other canned fish) failing that a chucky egg bacon or sausage. I wont list my lunch as i am a constant grazer with a high metabolism smashing through 3-6000 cals a day (even the doctor raised an eyebrow) but im just a hungry sod. At weekends if a have a cooked breaky i tend not to eat a lunch.

oh and i am not that fat....yet :D

leanrascal

Nov 1, 2019
London, UK
Breakfast: I prepare a Ziplock pouch (double-zip food grade) with 125g granola (basically a quarter of a 500g box) with 30/35g of Nido milk powder. I add the appropriate amount of cold water the night before so it can soak overnight and by the morning I have a cold porridge-like mush full of goodness.

Lunch: More cold soaking. Again prepared in advance I put a pouch of Instant Couscous (Ainsley Harriott Roasted Vegetable CousCous for example) with chopped up bits of Kabanos sausage in another Ziplock pouch. I use that kind of sausage because it keeps for a long time at room temperature without needing to be refrigerated, though I'm sure there are other sausages that meet this criteria. I add the water when I have my breakfast so by lunch time the couscous is nice, soft and juicy.

I only have a warm meal in the evening, my priorities being to keep everything as light as possible because I carry everything on my back, so less warm meals means less fuel to carry (in my case Methylated spirit)

Reactions: Wandering Fred

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Breakfast: I prepare a Ziplock pouch (double-zip food grade) with 125g granola (basically a quarter of a 500g box) with 30/35g of Nido milk powder. I add the appropriate amount of cold water the night before so it can soak overnight and by the morning I have a cold porridge-like mush full of goodness.

Lunch: More cold soaking. Again prepared in advance I put a pouch of Instant Couscous (Ainsley Harriott Roasted Vegetable CousCous for example) with chopped up bits of Kabanos sausage in another Ziplock pouch. I use that kind of sausage because it keeps for a long time at room temperature without needing to be refrigerated, though I'm sure there are other sausages that meet this criteria. I add the water when I have my breakfast so by lunch time the couscous is nice, soft and juicy.

I only have a warm meal in the evening, my priorities being to keep everything as light as possible because I carry everything on my back, so less warm meals means less fuel to carry (in my case Methylated spirit)

Is this your grub for normal life or whilst out camping?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm trying to enforce a policy for at least breakfast and lunch of low to no packaging. Tea can be a little more complicated but for the first two meals the less plastic I have to ditch the better and i don't even consider myself a green loving hippy type.

Brekkie can be three boiled eggs and an orange or apple.

Lunch piece of precooked chicken breast , more fruit , handful of nuts.

Works for me.

Getting protein into the system within an hour of waking can make a really big difference to satiation levels for the rest of the day.

If you start on Carbs for brekkie, my experience has been I then tend to want to chase them for the rest of the day.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If we're talking about trekking or camping, I've said on another thread, I don't do big breakfasts. If it's physical (canoeing or back backing) I get a quick carb input with some kind of fruit bread or breakfast bar and a cold drink; I'll then stop for a break a little later on in my journey. Lunch will often be cured meats (ham, salami etc,) and sliced cheese in a wrap (wraps are much easier to carry and look after than bread). I'll carry dried fruit and chocolate/energy bars for snacks.

In my youth I used to do Pot Noodles; not any more, life's too short :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE