Rucksack recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Hi Guys,

A penny for your thoughts and recommendations regarding rucksacks please. I'm going to be canoeing and hiking for approximatley 8 days and need a quality rucksack that is going to be up to the job. Suggestions and advice needed!

Thanks

G

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Hi Guys,

A penny for your thoughts and recommendations regarding rucksacks please. I'm going to be canoeing and hiking for approximatley 8 days and need a quality rucksack that is going to be up to the job. Suggestions and advice needed!

Thanks

G

Army issue bergans are pretty cheap 2nd hand and can take a beating. also have loads of space (100ltrs) which should last the 8 days, if not there are plenty of ways to add extra compartments which will get you a least another 20 ltrs, about 50ltrs if u get a little creative

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The True North Zero 1 sounds like it might be what you need ...
http://www.truenorthoutdoor.co.uk/equipment_for_sale.html

Do you need a rucksack because your going to be camping far from the canoes and you need to be able to carry ? If you're not moving too far then something like the Alpkit DryDock or Ortlieb X-Plorer might be the way to go. If you're camping next to the boats and don't need to go very far then any old bag will do really. A big old bergan can be easily waterproofed with a couple of bin bags as liners.

Personally I double pack all the important stuff like bedding etc, small Exped nylon dry bags inside larger ones like the DryDock.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Army Bergen is good, but cheap, best off getting a Kifaru or Deluth pack, any model will do;)

Canoeing and hiking? Maybe just use a holdall bag in the canoe and a small day pack if you day hiking?

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Just echoing what Shewie has said really. Depending on what you're planning on needing a rucksack for determines how big and what type you may need, before anyone can recommend anything.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm going to be canoeing and hiking for approximatley 8 days and need a quality rucksack that is going to be up to the job. Suggestions and advice needed!.."

Are you canoeing and then hiking in one trip or are you returning to a 'base' between the two?

Ortlieb bags are handy for canoeing, you can tie them down and they keep your gear dry. You can pack those into a rucksack for your hike but they are a bit heavy. If you are walking far and will have to carry food (or water) then get a decent rucksack with a good back system (try a few in the shops). For long distance travel the weight of the pack is important. If you are walking for short hikes and returning to a base camp then a military bergan of some type will probably do the job.

A few years back I walked the French long distance path 'Le Chemin Stevenson (GR70)' which is about 250 km, I then walked to the Ardèche Gorge and spent a week or two paddling an open canoe down the gorge and along the Ardèche. For that trip I carried A Crux AK47 rucksack and used two Ortlieb bags strapped to sides for carrying water and food during the walk and for waterproofing my gear during the paddle.

:)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hi..
i am assuming you feel you dont already have something suitable for the trip,, so i would consider the trip and beyond.. ie, future use out of the bag/s you buy...
certainly you need to give thought to what the guys have already said about using a combination of dry bags and a daypack, or a larger load hauler and dry liners.. you will know how much walking there is to be done gear upi for this and what you will also get the most use out of after the trip..... if there is no real walking to be done take some ortlieb or similar dry bags, these are very comfy also when loaded, to relax back on in the boat on undemanding stretches of river..
i would always recomend something of a sturdy construction, ie, some army bergans, karrimor sabre range, etc.. they will give you the blend in colours if that matters to you, avoid much of the high street outdoor flyweight packs and materials. for more rugged use consider crux, macpac especially their aztec materials, very bombproof and weatherproof, fjallraven, karrimor sabres etc....
all depending on what you wish to spend... and wether you will get use out of it in the future .
fuel for thought.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
berghaus Vulcan, i have found the pack that i have allways wanted when i got this so comfy no frills just perfect, buy one of these and you will never look back.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
northernranger and sandbender - thank you for your informative replies. your comments are constructive and have pointed me in the right direction and given me a few things to think about, things that hadnt occurred to me. At the moment, we are planning to canoe a few kms then set up base, explore, return and carry on canoeing etc. I also appreciate the point about considering the uses of any gear beyond this trip, want to get plenty of use out of anything i buy. We've got a plane to catch also (hiring canoes at destination), so i'm starting to think a good sized rucksack will be the way to go... any more thoughts?

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hi..
I think the berghaus verden 65+10 will seve you well, never had any issues with berghaus gear, and for the money this pack certainly has good spec... never used this particular pack but had a good look at one.... it is certainly a very versatile capacity and will give you years of use beyond your trip...
shop around though as there seems to be huge price differences from different stores...
the other type of pack wich i consider to be useful is a good travel pack with decent harness system... many come with either a detachable day pack or waist pack for your excursions away from base camp, the packs also allow for the harness and straps to be neatly tucked away , (a good feature in a boat) a good one will also have a strong grab handle, another useful feature loading and unloading a boat...
you may well already have what you need now, but all more fuel for thought,,,
Have a great trip..
northernranger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE