Leatherman - Which one??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i want to buy a multi-tool - assuming that i should forget the copies and get a proper leatherman, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
i'll probably get a second-hand one from fleabay, so i'm not thinking newest model neccesarily - more important is cost vs features - is it worth paying more just to get one more feature that i might not use?
it will be for general use - so i probably won't need any exotic attachments!
thanks

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I bought a wave off some guy on ebay a few years ago, got it new and half the price they were in the shops. Also got an led lenser torch free with it....It is a superb tool and is used just about every day. I reckon any leatherman would be good, so find one with the tools on that you would use the most...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The wave is my choice, although I did like the charge that I saw. Both have advantages over the original model in that the handles don't cut the very flesh from your hands in use! The original was a pig of a tool as the blades didn't lock and the handle was like four little razor blades! Very uncomfortable.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Having tried out nearly all models of the Leatherman "multi-tool" range (as review samples for my magazine columns) - and still having most of them kicking around - I can say that they all have their different strong points. It is, however, the original Wave (presented to me by Tim Leatherman himself) that lives on my belt as my everyday tool. This is despite it having had a replacement serrated blade (a nong I lent it to tried to prise open a coconut with it) and it having had proffessional cleaning and tuning.
The new Charge ALX lives in my canoe barrel for field repair work etc while the PST2 went with me on exped to Thailand this year.....the red Juice lives in my leather-sewing kit, the Micra is my key fob, the Mini lives in my bug-out kit, the old big sized one (forgotten its name) lives in my van as a tool kit, and the Vista (seccateurs) lives in my bushcraft kit.
Love them all......
Best multi-tools in the game!

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
thanks John - i like the look of the wave, and your experience is good enough for me - if it is your tool of choice then i'll go for one. what is the average new price, as there is alot of variation on evilbay, and i don't want to pay over the odds
ta mate

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Hi Gorilla,do you know anyone with a Costco card?
I got a Leatherman Supertool (the first leatherman with locking blades)from the Liverpool Costco for £35 when they cost £70-£80 in the shops and its still going strong some 13 years later!!!
I know you cannot get that model anymore but its well worth having a look as i have heard that Costco sometimes have other models at really good prices.
Hope this helps.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Gawd!
Don't ask me prices!
I get them given as part of the job!
Try phoneing Whitby and co (the distributers) on 01539 721 032 - they can put you in contact with a local retailer as well.
No conection with the company except that they do supply some items for my review columns - but then so did the opposition...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Gorilla
I wrote you a huge reply yesterday before both my system and the site crashed (I wonder if I overloaded it:confused: )
Anyway it gave me an opportunity to finish a review of several multi-tools that I own so I'll whack it onto the Edged tools section and paste in a link when its there.

ATB

Ogri the trog

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=315139#post315139
Theres the link, still can't do the highlighted "Click Here" thingy

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I have a Leatherman and a Gerber multi-tool and I would recommend the Gerber every time. The tool locking-release mechanism on the Gerber is *much* better than the Leatherman.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've had good Gerbers (800) and Leatherman (Charge Xti) and prefer the Leatherman - better blades and build quality and less "gadgets". I'd say charge with a leather pouch - I fit a space pen, LED torch, mini Silva compass and firesteel in my Charge pouch - makes a nice little mini possibles set up

Red

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yup another gerber boy here. I've a gerber 800 which is superb and have now given my wave away. My leatherman micra lives in my beside table after being replaced with my gerber shortcut which is never out my pocket.

Cheers,

Alan

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
I have an original Leatherman Supertool, a Wave and a Gerber Palm Pincher (Multiplier). I much prefer the Wave. It resides on my belt and is used every day. I can't recommend it enough.
I haven't used the Supertool or the Gerber since I bought the Wave.

I keep a small LED light and a firesteel in my Wave pouch.

Though2.jpg
Though1.jpg

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I hnave a Leatherman Wave and have had for eight years now, it has been faultless. I also have a Gerber Suspension to keep in the Land Rover. Also over the years I have bought a couple of Leatherman Supertools for friends, one for my best man and on for my brother in law when he passed out of policeman school.

I would recommend the Wave for an everyday carry. The Supertool however is much heavier duty, I have thought about buying one for work as it is much more robust than the Wave. As a result it is considerably heavier.

The Gerber is a good piece of kit and at around £40 it is worth getting, the feel of quality is not the same as the Leathermans but it is still good.

Hope this helps

Stewey.:D

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Another vote for the Swiss Tool Spirit.
Very high quality and a pleasure to work with. And lighter than, for instance, the fill-size Leathermans.
On buying it I felt the sheepsfoot, wavy blade might not be the best for the outdoors, but as I'm always carrying a blade with a plain edge anyway, it turned out to be a non-issue.

/ Karl

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Supertool, Charge and in my survival tin the tiny ones with the scissor type things instead of pliers.

Had loads of the naff copies, kept breaking.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If I could just throw another one into the mix!

Swiss Tool Spirit:

http://www.swiss-army-tools.com/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=220

Love mine, leather case, chromed steel - alltogether, more quality in construction than any of the others IMO.

Cons: No pointed main blade (cut throat shaped) although it does have an awl.

I have a fairly large pile of multi tools around here but the one I've been carrying every day ever since they came out is the Spirit. An absolutely superb tool for EDC. Not too big, not too small, and a useful set of tools. Easy access to blades than lock. Very ergonomic handle. Superb fit and finish. It just plain rocks. As for the lack of a pointy knife blade, well, I alway have one (or two :) ) in my pocket anyway so this doesn't concern me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE