Response Pak show and tell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I prefer those saws to the laplander.
it has a very aggressive tooth pattern and cuts very quickly.
It also has a lifetime warranty.
plus if the blade locking mechanisim fails, it fails safe.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I think I'll be taking a wander in Lidls direction then, those shackles/karabiners look ok, and the 8mm boat rope will make a good main basha line

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
nooky said:
I like the idea of the response pack having it sitting in the top of your bergan with everything that you would use ready to hand. Looks like I could be spending some more money. I dont know if these are the type of Karabiners that you are looking for but Lidl will be selling these next Thursday.
http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20070510.p.Karabiner_or_Shackle_Set.ar3

I had a good look around and http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/ were the cheapest, because they only charge a £1 postage.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Agree that the Wilkinson folding saws are very good. They are also noticeably lighter than the Laplander.

When I bought my Response Pak a year or two ago, the guy at the checkout had to check the price with the boss. He couldn't believe that an item of this quality was being sold so cheaply. It is highly recommended kit and very versatile. I'm currently using mine for radio gear. I can carry an entire station, capable of global communication, on my belt.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I use the same saw, made by Gerber. I've found it extremely useful, and cuts quite easily. Still havent posted a pic of my pack yet though :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my response pack has just arrived so will start filling it with stuff later :D
leon

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Mine came just now too :D

I'm off out but will work out just what's going it over the weekend.

Great thread as this is just what I need to go with my camera rucksack which doesn't really have enough space to head out a day :rolleyes:

Pics can come up once I've sorted it.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Ok, as promised, here are two pics of my normal lumbar pack, I take with , with me when I go out for geocaching, or, in some instances, S &R:

outside017.jpg

outside018.jpg

In it are my raingear (goLite top & bottom)
fleece jacket
folding saw
GPS
two water bottles, with metal cups (my Nalgene is currently at work)
pair of socks
marker
lightstick (takes batteries, lasts for hours)
kleenex
spare batts, plus a spare plastic bag
50' of 550 cord
water purifying tabs
2 granola bars
personal survival kit
emergency bivy sack
first aid kit
bandana
compass
knife w/firesteel
personal journal
flashlight.
Not pictured, I also have a watchcap & pair of lightweight nylon gloves, both in a pocket in the fleece jacket.

Gailainne

Life Member
I must admit, after buying the response pak, I noticed no water bottle pouch, didnt like that, so I'm either modifying mine to take a 1L sigg at one end, or add a water bottle pouch.

BTW Spam I found a supplier of those small caribiners "od-lites", buggers were charging 1.50 a pop, so I only bought 4, to useful not to get a couple I thought.

Regards

Stephen

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
£1.50 a go! That's a bloody rip off! :eek: I've seen some cheaper looking ones on ebay, sprayed nasty colours, but they just don't look as nice! I still need to keep looking!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
Gailainne said:
I must admit, after buying the response pak, I noticed no water bottle pouch, didnt like that, so I'm either modifying mine to take a 1L sigg at one end, or add a water bottle pouch.

i'd like to see some pics if you work this out, it may sway the balance into me getting one myself, as a alternative for the day sak i've got

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Aragorn said:
i'd like to see some pics if you work this out, it may sway the balance into me getting one myself, as a alternative for the day sak i've got

A couple of karabinas and a Swiss armmy volcanoe stove http://www.wephaus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=124554

The vent holes of the stove line up exactly with the 2 strap guides on the underneath of the Response pack. Gives me water carrying and a brew kit ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
Aragorn

This my old bimble sack versus the response bag,

CIMG0002-3.jpg

as you can see the old allowed 2 1L siggs to be added, where the response has no facility for mounting any kind of "refreshment" even a tensy 330ml millers :( .
I think the easiest solution is to sew in an elastic expander into the loop already provided, if a bottom loop is added to hold the sigg in place it should work out pretty well.
Only proviso is that you would have to make sure whatever was in the end zipped bags was squashable with no problems, ie FAKs, anything soft.

Regards

Stephen
PS sorry for the minor highjack Spam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE