Survival air rifle, modified, sawn-off, easily packable

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just found these videos from a British guy and thought what a brilliant idea!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWQu4uRSZME&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4jXFaMb7AQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EDK0CybJbg&feature=plcp

Question is, what air rifle would be best suited to do this modification on because the guy in the video uses a Chinese B2 which are notoriously crap and so I wouldn't want to rely on something like that in a survival situation. On the other hand the gun cannot be expensive because it's going to be chopped up, so I'm thinking of getting hold of a middle of the range air rifle, in second hand condition for around £50 and using that as the base. Question is what specific air rifle would fit this bill of being well made, but cheap?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hmm.. don't bother. get a full power pistol, a Weihrauch hw45 pistol at 10 metres can take out pigeons, rats etc just fine. A chopped up rifle like that will be so inaccurate that even with more power it'll be less capable. The B2 in the video will likely be putting out 5-7 ft/lb if your lucky, and is highly inaccurate, but something a little better might be more servicable. A budget weihrauch maybe, but generally any break barrel rifle you don't mind cutting up.

it may seem like a good idea.. but it isn't really, not when a pistol is smaller and far more accurate (unless you buy a very decent rifle and get it professionally cut and crowned..).

Get a pistol crossbow, in a real 'survival' sitiuation it's the best option.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Whats 'survival' about it? He just chopped up a perfectly good gun to make a shorter, less comfortable and less accurate version. If you going to be in a situation where you can use it as a 'survival gun' you have pre-planned and taken it with you. In which case you would be better off with the un modified version.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Whats 'survival' about it?

Good question... I think it's inspired by 'proper" survival rifles like the AR-7 and the Ithica M6. They trade some aspects of conventional rifle design for compactness and easy stowage as part of an aircraft survival kit etc.

I made something similar to the YT video when I was a feckless youth of 13, out of an old BSA springer. I even gave it a Camo job with some Airfix paints I thought it was well ally...

BR's Thumpers Rule makes a lot of sense in this instance..

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Why not modify a Crosman 1377 - lots of info out there for mods meeting Brit legal requirements and non-Brit. They can be very useful tools if used within sensible and realistic scenarios for effectively taking small game at realistic distances. First mod is to fit shoulder stock to drastically improve accuracy- effectively making it a small carbine

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If it can fire with the stock off in all likelihood it is a illegal air pistol shooting >6ft/lbs.

I believe if it's under 14in it's considered a pistol, it's been a while since I looked at airgun law but that is from what I rember. Also the power from most cheep air rifles is far far from consistent one moment 10ftlbs the next 12ftlbs and then 6ftlbs.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If it can fire with the stock off in all likelihood it is a illegal air pistol shooting >6ft/lbs.

Not quite, a rifle that is serial numbered and sold in this country will remain a 'rifle', so the gunw ill need to conform to rifle standards. Folding or collapsable stocks are not forbidden in the law, removeable (for conversion to pistol form) is.

Still, it's a crap idea and your better off with either a purpose made carbine rifle with a real folding stock or a pistol.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Don't bother.

This is the UK. A full size rifle will be better and lets face it your "Survival" air rifle will get used once for tin cans then shelved when the zombies don't arrive in december.

A full size/ carbine rifle will be of better use and will get more use.

If weight is the issue then skeletonize the stock. - maybe shorten the barrel a few inches if you so wish. A reasonable project in itself.

Andy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As said, just buy a pistol, I really can't see what the tattooed genius was doing cutting up a perfectly serviceable rifle to be honest.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Whats 'survival' about it? He just chopped up a perfectly good gun to make a shorter, less comfortable and less accurate version. If you going to be in a situation where you can use it as a 'survival gun' you have pre-planned and taken it with you. In which case you would be better off with the un modified version.

Yep, pretty much. +1

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I did something similar to my B2 years ago although I drilled out the barrel pivot pin & replaced with a bolt & butterfly nut so it can be removed. Gives me a longer barrel but I doubt it's that accurate anyway

Nothing illegal in what hes done and his facts are wrong Air rifles are exempt the min barrel restrictions that Fire arms are ( ie the theoben Fenman has a barrel of only 17.3cm )
Best to use a rifle as it will always be a rifle so can be over 6ft lbs up to 12ft lbs over 12ft lbs its Section 1
if you start with a pistol it is always a pistol so cannot go over 6ft lbs without becoming a Section 5 Fire arm (same as machine guns and rocket launchers :rolleyes:)

The only way to change its designation is have a gun maker theoretically destroy the gun and remake it with a New Serial number.
This is how you get a S1 FAC air gun to Non FAC as well ( you cant just De tune it )

In fact Air arms made a similar one with a removable barrel years ago was a called a TDR and based on one of their small springers years before the New TDR pcp based on the 410 now out. Was full power but still not particularly accurate due to the barrel slotting in and out and the stock a like the one here wasn't very comfy Cant seem to find it on the Inter web was a long time back

heres the AA current Take down rifle obviously not doable under £50

CIMG0816.JPG

If your going to jsut put a folding stock on a springer you can use any one but get one with a ready short barrel and that's accurate already

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If it's over 6 ft/lb muzzle energy and has a removable or foldable stock it must not be able to fire with the stock removed or folded. The current air-arms tdr has an interlock to prevent it being fired with the stock removed. Cut the stock off an air rifle to make a pistol grip and it becomes a prohibited weapon.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE