Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
As I thought, Berghaus have erased this 'incident' from their memory banks.................................................could also be that the person who answered doesn't know spit :D
I can catagorically tell you, as no doubt many others could, that this is not a cyclops roc but a early PLCE shortback bergen made by Berghaus.:cool:

At least they answered your email.................thanks for the update.

To be fair to Berghaus they are focused on selling the current product range and providing reasonable support for the older products.

An email to customer services over the Xmas / New year period is not likely to really give you the best result and IME the folks in Berghaus CS do not know a great deal about the older product.. Which when you think about it is reasonable enough. Berghaus as a company today is totally different to Bergahaus 20 years ago.

My thoughts is the Bergen in question is likely to be a bit of Trials Kit. The MOD ran some extensive trials on different PLCE type Kit prior to the introduction of 90 patt PLCE (the green stuff). IIRC collectors call it 85 pattern although im not sure that is 100% correct. If you look around on the PLCE webbing thread there were some images of the trials type PLCE kit.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photopost/data/541/PLCE1.JPG

Any how a Berghaus Trials / PLCE Bergen is a rare bit of kit... Ebay will likely yeild the best results if it's listed and described correctly. Folk pay outrageous sums of cash for this type of stuff.

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Thanks for the opinions,they're appreciated!
However, I wouldn't have a clue how much to start this off at on ebay, I can't even remember how much I paid for it originally!

Regards,
Andy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the opinions,they're appreciated!
However, I wouldn't have a clue how much to start this off at on ebay, I can't even remember how much I paid for it originally!

Regards,
Andy

Start it at GBP 50.00 with an explanation that it's Berghaus Manufactured rare early / trials PLCE good nick etc.

Use lots of photos and make sure you list in in the militaria area not under sporting goods. Avoid listing it with any naff SAS/PARA/Royal Marines/ Bushcraft monikers on the listing.

Folk collect all sorts of stuff someone somewhere will want it for that loadout or impression or collection...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Just had a look at the back of the side pouches (don't know why I didn't do this before!)
Printed on is RR 90.
Does this mean 1990 pattern?

Could be the pattern, doubt, if it's the year of manufacture.................As for the letters on the back of the pouches, are you sure it's not IRR (infra-red reflective) ?

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Managed to get hold of this critter the other week ,

Made by Vector pack systems thay were the military sale part of lowe alpine ,

Same fabric as the Vector commando but no foating lid , side poochs or alice straps and being about 90 its a lot lighter .

011-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Im using a couple of Dutch Army molle poochs as side storage at present but maybe get a couple of Lowe alpine Salient side poochs in DPM to go on it if needed .
012-1.jpg

Twodogs

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Yarrrr...... Nice one Twelvebergens...:cool:

Looks like P in this line up from the Survival Aids catalogue 1989...

P1300015.jpg

They've listed it as a 'Recce' single compartment 60 ltr job. Available in OD and DPM way back then.

£126 for the OD critter and £130 for the DPM.

Not listed in the 1992 catalogue so gives us some idea of when these were about.

Nice one, looks tidy and has aged well, if only we could all say the same....:lmao:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Is this the same type you tried to get before that went pear shaped Cliff? Big bucks even back in the day!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, sorry Cliff! Thought it might be the same bergan you finally got your hands on...at least it's another heads up on a dubious member.

You gonna take this one for a spin at the next meet?

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
So this ones a Recce nice one Neil :) seem larger than 60 litre though

Size isn't everything... Maybe they were a bit slacker on the sizings back then, who knows.

Left to right in that line up are (size in litres in brackets):

Salient (68 to 80)
Recce (60)
Scout (35)
Jaeger (20)
Assault (20)

All badged as Vector and available in OD or DPM flavour back in 1989 :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE