A quick jaunt...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Having to drop my daughter off at her new farm job, it wasn't worth it to drive all the way home again just to come back 3hrs later, so I googled mapped and found a large woodland not far from the farm. I'd packed my new (to me) berghaus cyclops crusader with a bit odds and sods. I'd also seen a new tarp designed I wanted to have a go at, so I could keep myself occupied.

The woods is an oak and ash plantation from the looks of it. On a slight slope with small brook running through the middle of it. I meandered about in the woods for a half hour before I decided to put the rucksack down.

f164543bc6c737a6143695fbe62a6578.jpg

The configuration is enclosed, tied to a tree at one point. You're probably familiar with it.

It's really quite practical and very simple to put up. I'll definitely be using it during the winter. Although I am a little concerned about how much condensation there will be, there is a fair bit of ventilation.

Time for a brew! I put together the Lixada collapsible wood stove, collected some birch bark and some dry hanging oak twigs, and got the water on the go. I really do need to find a nice canvas bag for the kettle, it's looking a tad sooty now....

10ae34d2b5c3915ce2a2459d3340df20.jpg

As the kettle got to the boil, I laid back and pretended that I hadn't set my tarp up into the wind, and that the wood smoke wasn't annoying at all....

I drank my brew, ate a biscuit bar and relaxed for an hour or so, before packing it all away and heading back to the farm to collect my daughter. She loved her first day, did a bit of cleaning, a bit of boxing up in the farm shop, and got stuck into hearding sheep and getting the rams out. At 14 she ain't afraid of a bit of work bless her, and she earns her own cash. As luck would have it, I'll now be knocking deer over for the farmer as well, going 50/50 on the meat. Can't argue with that.

Have a great weekend folks.
03eb7bdd473af93e9cb02fcd8d3c2d4e.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds a truly excellent way to spend some time :) and good on your daughter too, she sounds so very capable :)

50/50 on the venison is a win as well.

Your weekend seems to be the perfect foil to the hassle of the festivities to come.
Thank you for sharing :cool:

M

Reactions: Van-Wild

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE