Troublesome rucks: KSF, Särmä, Savotta, Berghaus, TT, and Wisport—help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
After my disastrous introductory post, morphing from one thing to another and back again (i’m not good at typing, but good at pressing the wrong buttons!) and i’m no good at small talk, i now start my first proper post being about my disastrous buying of a large rucksack. ;) I’m hoping that anyone here can be of help to me, as in New Zealand i cannot try any cordura rucksacks that have the capability of having sidepockets attached.

Most available here are the lowest common denominator; however, one can get DD Hammocks, Morakniv, and Fällkniven (i prefer convex grinds), plus some &cs.

Last year i bought an olive green Karrimor SF Predator 80-130 rucksack, being imported from the UK; and unforeseen, as i don‘t have a manly shape to my body :oops:: the total width across the shoulderstraps is much too wide for me, each arm easily touching the side of the strap when back is adjusted correctly (closer to the top of the range than to the bottom); and the hipbelt is too short where it matters for me, it just reaching the centre of my iliac crest. I was disappointed; i like the bag of the Predator, it having all that i want in a large rucksack…most unfortunate about the harness though of which is completely removable (see below), apart from the lumberpad which actually fits me on top of my buttocks (to get perfect here, bending of the lamels (stays, or whatever they get called) being easily done).

At the very least, beware of the KSF SA-system should one have narrow shoulders—your hips may vary.

My old pack is a US-made Lowe Alpine Expedition (about 80L) that i bought when living in the States, which is very much like the Dutch army Sting but without the PLCE sidepockets, the Expedition sidepockets (two different sizes) attaching via the compressionstraps instead. I’ve carried 80lb\36kg in this, although should i sit on the ground i can‘t get up with it on!

i’m stumped on buying a new large pack as i don‘t want to keep buying more large rucksacks that don‘t fit (smallish ones being no problem). Moreover, i have mild scoliosis and thoracic kyphosis of the spine so an external frame could possibly work better for me.

I’ve done in-the-bush tests with different ’grellows’ (to me olive green is not green) and greens, placing at a distance on the ground, and hanging from a bough, my observing from a reasonable distance (maybe twenty feet or so) directly and from a track: the medium olive of KSF works very well (interestingly, when the Sun shines through the trees it looks like leaves on it); the olive drab of my Helikon Tex stuff does well; but a smaller Wisport rucksack (a going-to-town ruck), of which to me is more of a moss green than the claimed olive green, stands out. I have very acute perception of colour, so others may have a different opinion here. The endemic NZ trees, being nondeciduous and subtropical (it doesn‘t make it that hot here though!), tend to be darker and-or shifted more towards the yellow, not a brighter green like European hardwoods.

The following are what i have narrowed it down to.

To save the KSF Predator, buy from Varusteleka a Savotta-made Särmä STS RP80-frame and -harness; but i don‘t know how viable that this is for attaching the Predator bag to it—the colours wouldn‘t match of course. Should it not work i could then buy the RP80 bag the total price (excluding shippingcosts) only about a euro difference to buying it all together; the bag also has some unusual features: i don‘t need such large stuffpockets (not an issue per se), i only use them to stop anything from falling out from the side.

I don‘t know whether the RP80-harness would fit me, specifically the shoulderharness my not knowing the total width across the shoulderstraps; and i don‘t know whether the Savotta 8L- and-or 12L-sidepockets fit it. Any information here would be appreciated.

The Savotta Jääkäri XL should fit me as i have photos of this on a woman in the online photos, and i estimate that she could be around 5’ 10” (Finns are some of the tallest folk in Europe), my being shorter but with an East Asian build so shortish legs and longer back length for my height. I can buy one from at least two well known UK shops one having the sidepockets (of any other UK shops please tell me), and any extras i would assumably have to buy from Varusteleka. I like the quality of construction (also applies to the RP80)…useful in case i’m dragged along behind a truck, or fall off of a cliff. ;) Better gear, less misery…eh! :D

Should anyone have a Jääkäri XL, then please i would like to know the dimensions of the frame. Ta.

Berghaus large rucksacks, of which there are three different ones: Vulcan IV, Crusader II, and Atlas IV. Cons being having no stuffpockets, old colours with hardware and webbing, and very basic; pros being of lighter weight than most, and the Cedar (is this referring to an actual cedar tree?, and not the white cedar (actually a species of Thuja) in North America?) is a sort of medium olive green(?). I’ve read of problems with them regarding the thickness of the material, and the unremovable(?) plastic inserts in the hipbelt (the LA Expedition has no stiffening here, and i’ve never found this to be a problem). And buying from overseas is problematic regarding a non-adjustable back and my narrow shoulders.

The three different Tasmanian Tiger rucksacks, Pathfinder Mk II, Range Pack Mk II, and Mil Ops Pack 80. I can buy these from a shop in Western Australia. I can‘t really warm up to these for some reason, although they are said to have comfortable harnesses (at least for a male habitus).

Wisport Raccoon 85. Very contrastive colours with the hardware and the webbing, and as mentioned earlier the ”olive green” looks to me like a moss green. Looking at videos and photos this one sits rather low, so not sure whether the load-lifters actually work as such.

I’ve looked at the various US-made and rather expensive ones such as Kifaru, &c, but they don‘t have olive green, instead a greenish colour which seems greyish and washed out (ranger green?)—olive greens blend in best into the endemic foliage in NZ.

I’m not familiar that much with any other European brands, but am open to investigation.

Enough eh!

Ta for reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toi

Last edited:

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
A large pack just should be tested on person, I don't see any way around that. Or as #1 son said (in the army) that above a certain weight everything feels miserable.
I agree wholeheartedly, that is how i bought my LA Expedition in an American outdoor store—unfortunately being in NZ i can‘t do that…except when i have it delivered. Also, it has ultimately to be tested by using it in the field, or over the hills, which is why i’ve kept my Expedition for so long, it being relatively comfortable with heavy loads (not that i do this that often).

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
There is the Tatonka Lastenkraxe, rather than the RP80 frame, you should be able to attach your SF pack to it with some mods, there are some YouTube videos of people carrying insane loads on it: Latstenkraxe

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I know that Arwy in Herentals, Belgium got a big contract for Sting rucksacks in the new camouflage pattern NFP.

In your situation I would call them and try to buy one directly from the maker, because it's likely that it would fit you, as it's developed out of your existing Lowe Alpine rucksack. I assume that it's pretty much the same.

It's no problem to get NFP pouches and other pieces.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
There is the Tatonka Lastenkraxe, rather than the RP80 frame, you should be able to attach your SF pack to it with some mods, there are some YouTube videos of people carrying insane loads on it: Latstenkraxe
Sorry for slow response, there has been some fine weather here so i’ve been doing useful things outdoors. :)

Ta for that. The Lastenkraxe is available in NZ (about NZ$300 or so—equals about £150 in proper money); it is used by hunters for bringing out their kill (mostly deer and pigs). I’ve seen a video with the Predator bag attached, and it is easy to seen how the bag has been attached to the frame, although it does seem to ride rather high for me: why the RP80 would be better in my opinion…should it fit regarding the shoulderharness.

Despite what i said regarding what i have carried in the Expedition of which was to demonstrate its excellent construction, i don‘t normally carry insane loads! It is, however, pleasing that it can be done should the need arise.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
I know that Arwy in Herentals, Belgium got a big contract for Sting rucksacks in the new camouflage pattern NFP.

In your situation I would call them and try to buy one directly from the maker, because it's likely that it would fit you, as it's developed out of your existing Lowe Alpine rucksack. I assume that it's pretty much the same.

It's no problem to get NFP pouches and other pieces.

Interesting camo pattern, NFP being Netherlands Fractal Pattern. Looks nicer that DPM-types.

I would rather have a Saracen as it has a lower compartment—one of my gripes with the Expedition is that it is one big sack, albeit with a larger-than-normal lid pocket and attachable sidepockets.

I don‘t trust buying grade 1 surplus unless i can return it, which is alright when bought from NZ, but not from overseas (except from the other island here!)—i have bought, for example, used ex British Army woolly pullies, being good value!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You know that you are talking here about pretty heavy rucksacks?
Saracen and Savotta XL are everything else than ultralight.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
In an anticyclone here, so lots of work to do outside and soaking up of near infrared for hormone vitamin D.

I’ve scoured YT and have all or most videos downloaded on the ones first mentioned, including ones in German, Finnish, or other languages.

As i don‘t drive a motor i can afford a relatively expensive rucksack every few decades! ;) It would be nice to get one that fits me though—i think that both the Jääkäri XL and the RP80 would do so; as also looking at the TT Mil Ops 80, my being uncertain about its hipbelt being long enough, but the shoulderstraps should fit.

Won‘t be getting a Saracen as bigger than i need. The reason for a heavier ruck (3.2kg for the TT Mil ops 80 (without the extras on), 3.7 ~ 3.8kg for the Savotta-made ones) is because i need a larger and stronger one to go into the Misty Mountains (the lower parts are misty after a frost (of which can be minus eight degrees C where i live), and stratus is sometimes there around the lower slopes, sometimes due to the misty evaporation of a frost)—the closest forest is second growth and therefore is jungle-like (virgin forest one can walk through): sometimes my needing to climb a tree to find the best ’path’ up a ridge; and sometimes my needing to remove the ruck to drag it under branches, &c. Fortunately, i have an old, but in excellent condition, slasher (possibly cannot buy these anymore), and other tools such as large saws, parangs, and of course axes, as it is necessary to make a semi-track through the ’jungle’ should one want to take the same route again. Fun…eh!

There is a NZ bushcraft website, but it seems to be moribund, and my trying to join it failed (i will try again): i would have liked to be able to contact others and there is a member not far from where i live (only can see username), the Wild Wood being an excellent place —once one gets there— to do bushcrafty things without being harassed…apart from the killer possums and the dreaded ongaonga (or ’fierce nettle’, Urtica ferox) which is best left alone. No bearbags needed here, instead ratbags. o_O

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Should anyone have a Jääkäri XL or a Jääkäri L, would you please for me measure the length over the hip-belt—i think that the hip-belt is the same for both. The older ones have four K-patterns per side, the current ones have three K-patterns per side, so if it is an older one then measure also the length of a section of K-pattern as twice this is possibly the difference in length.

Need to know that the hip-belt is long enough for me. Ta. :)

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Have been told that the current Jääkäri XL hip-belt is 29”, and by the best that i can measure the KSF Predator 80-130 is only 25” which is why it is too short for me, all my other rucks being around 29”.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Do you actually want the pack? This is a genuine offer: I want to get rid of it and all I'm asking is for you to cover the postage costs; the pack itself - a genuine Jaakaari XL is, in effect, free. Maybe someone else out there would like it...

Reactions: Siberian Mongoose

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
Well,Siberian Mongoose, the offer was aimed in your direction so, if you'd like it, p.m. me your address and I'll find out how much it'll cost to ship it out to you.

Although you may think it an act of kindness, you are also doing me a favour in helping to clear a fairly sizeable gap in my outdoor stuff cupboard!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE