Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Size isn't everything... Maybe they were a bit slacker on the sizings back then, who knows.

Left to right in that line up are (size in litres in brackets):

Salient (68 to 80)
Recce (60)
Scout (35)
Jaeger (20)
Assault (20)

All badged as Vector and available in OD or DPM flavour back in 1989 :)

I've seen some OD Vector bags that were LA badged.
Most if not all of these early military bags were made in Ireland so there was some odd variants knocking about over here.
I have an OD Recce with the brown base from the '80s but it's definitely bigger than 60l.
LA were well noted for underestimating their volumes.
The bag is still going strong and the original Paralux harness height is easy to adjust and very comfortable.
LA used to produce a well made 5l side pouch called the Universal Pocket which attacked to their rucksack's compression straps, the surpluss Salient side pouches are all that are available now.
Happy trails...torc.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Finally got around to making a pair of canvas side pouches to go with the Crusader I got.

Canvas_Crusader-1.jpg

Made with canvas from an old military tarp that had seen better days.

Not a bad colour match but I guess they'll fade differently anyway.

jones71

Dec 16, 2011
wales
Dug out both my old battered OG Cyclops Rocs and noticed slight differences in straps etc.

Is there an easy way to date/find out which is the earliest of the Bergens please?

Thanks

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Finally got around to making a pair of canvas side pouches to go with the Crusader I got.

Very chic! I would be afraid of going outside with such a gem :)
-
What are those two black plastic fasteners on the new crusaders for? They are shown here just below the carry handle. I have a pair of them on my Modan rucksack which is very similar in design to the crusader.

Last edited:

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Hi Kold,
They are simply the holders/fasteners for ice axe,trekking poles or axe handles etc...

Thank you for your reply, maybe I should have understood that without asking on here :)

Here is another question - the two items in this photo came with my rucksack and I have no idea what they are for. The bottom-left thing seems to be a fastener for attaching pockets to the PLCE loops I guess (one side of it has a locking mechanism and the side that faces away from the camera is just a clip, but the other flat handle-like thing? It is just over 7cm long and a bit more than 3 cm wide.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Thanks blacktimberwolf im watching those on ebay but thought it was worth an ask on here aswell

Am i correct in thinking the roc is canvas and a smaller volume and the crusader normally is cordura and a larger capacity?

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Some early Roc's and crusaders were made in canvas (mine is) but switched to cordura. The Roc is 70 litres.. It was supplied without side pockets, which could be added to the side straps (adding a further 10L each.)
The Crusader is 100 litres and was made with zip off side pockets as standard.

My Roc.
DSCN2006.jpg

Last edited:

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Thanks for the info treefrog its appreciated

So at 70 litres it would be the roc i want and not the crusader

At present im using an plce issue bergan which im told is 100 litres plus ten litres for each side pocket and its too big for my needs

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Had this critter off Dave53 last week a Mid to late 80 Berghaus Centurian in DPM Yaarrrr ,
033-1.jpg
The main problem I find with most of the old Military used Berghaus packs of the day most are size two becouse the troops needed to wear it with the 58 pattern webbing of the day the size two was a short back ,,,,hmmm i want size three,,, So drill the pop rivits out of the frame and remove another thing troop did was bend the frame again to help it sit better on the kidneu pooches ,, so first job get the frame back to straight ,, yerrr ,Next unpick the sholder straps from the main pack and phone a mate who owns a size three Roc ( Cheers Chad ) ,, sadle stich the sholder straps back on
035-1.jpg
034-1.jpg
Next the standard floppy lid caused by troops overloading and putting roll mats under the lid.Replace some of the binding and replace the elastic ,,,
031-1.jpg
Another ye olde classic ready to play for a few years yet Twodogs

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE