Zen and the art of hammocking.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Another benefit of a hammock, IMHO, is that simply being off the floor by a couple of feet you avoid exposure to morning damp that always comes out of the ground, no matter what the weather.
One benefit for me is that you don't have to mess around finding flat ground and making sure there are no roots to dig in your back.

The biggest boon to me though is time, its much quicker than a tent to set up for the night and even faster to pack away. Plus you can dry a tarp out in the garage overnight, a tent is a right pain to get dry when you get home and can't leave it up in the garden (because next door's cat wees on it!)

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
The biggest boon to me though is time, its much quicker than a tent to set up for the night and even faster to pack away. Plus you can dry a tarp out in the garage overnight, a tent is a right pain to get dry when you get home and can't leave it up in the garden (because next door's cat wees on it!)

? You can sleep on the ground under a tarp. I always do.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I have tried net hammocks and now have a DD hammock, i have made various hammocks both net ones and sheet-like ones such as the DD. The best net hammock i used was one made in ''square mesh'', most net-type hammocks available are machine made in ''diagonal mesh'', why square mesh is better is that the meshes naturally remain ''open'' in use under tension whereas diagonal meshes ''close'' in on theirself, square mesh is mesh that hangs ''open and square'' diagonal mesh is mesh that hangs in a ''diamond shape and tends to close in on itslef'', all net hammocks i've seen in shops are diamond mesh type so you have to make your own square mesh hammock but they are much more comfortable. Square mesh hammocks are surprisingly comfortable and far superior to the more commonly sold diamond mesh type. --- I bought a DD hammock some years ago, i found the best hanging method for comfort was to hang quite loose in a drooping style and sleep diagonally. The reason being when you hang a hammock most of the tension is down the centre line, if hung too tight without any bag this centre-line is quite pronounced, this is because when under tension (when in it) most of the weight is naturally taken up at the centre point of ends of hammock with the outside edge having very little tension, in effect most of the weight-bearing is not down the sides of hammock but actually right down the very middle of it, if hung loose and drooping and then sleeping on the diagonal (head on one side, feet on the other) you even out this centre ridge line and can lie virtually straight, if the hammock does not have enough slack the centre line will not even out and remain taught and stick into you side being uncomfortable. Also size of hammock versus person has a big effect, apart from the length the width is very important, i am only 5'6'' and the DD is just about big enough for me, i think bigger people would find a bigger hammock more comfortable particularly in the width of the hammock, some people seem to worry about the length and overlook the width which is just as important. If you sleep diagonal and your head ends up lower than your feet i think the hammock may be too small especially it's width or it is hung with incorrect bagging. One difference between a net hammock and sheet-type one is that you can sit down in a sheet one but in a net one when sitting the sides dig into the back of your knees and is uncomfortable.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
The best way to sort out these problems Wayland is to shrink yourself to less than 5 feet tall. I have no such problems and can sleep which ever way I choose. especially as my legs are so short I can draw my knees up to my chest inside the sleeping bag. heheh!

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
It's definately better to sleep on the diagonal but it gets a bit fuzzy after that. I have tried lots of hammocks but I just love my Warbonnet Blackbird. I'm 6'6" and sleep flat in it with enough room to sleep with my arms above my head. I can roll over easily and even sleep on my front but I'm not a big fan of that in any event. Definately the most comfortable sleeping solution, perhaps with the exception of the beds in Marriott hotels.

I can pitch mine including tarp in about 3 mins now but it has taken a while to get to that stage. I put on a course at the moot but it got very little interest.

If it is still a problem Gary, let me know at the next meet.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Good video.

I think DD will have to start moving in the direction of hammocks which you can stake out and which aren't necessarily rectangular.

I like to think of a hammock as an upside down tarp - well they're both basically just bits of material which you can use as you please. If you have a small hammock and a large hammock, you could use the large hammock as a tarp over the smaller hammock.

I would also like to see the idea of putting kit into the hammock (and having the space for it) developed. I don't mean, as at present, little pockets for spectacles, mobiles etc, but where you could stuff an extra blanket, sweater and so on. You could then (theoretically) use that extra weight to flatten out the tension lines mentioned up thread.

In any case hammocks should be wide (look at native hammocks in Latin America) and be able to be staked out from the side.

So now I have to think how I can mod my DD hammocks. Well, I know a good seamstress...;)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
So now I have to think how I can mod my DD hammocks. Well, I know a good seamstress...;)

one possible solution to those that suffer with ''head lower than feet'' may be to sew in a small section which can be stuffed with clothing/etc; to ceate a pillow that stays put and cannot move around (something like a small piece of material sewed in creating a fixed stuffable pocket in the area your head is).

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I would also like to see the idea of putting kit into the hammock (and having the space for it) developed.
I really like the hammock in the video, and if I were to be buying a new on that would have to be a serious contender, but 'er indoors isn't going to go for that at the moment :)

I have a small drawstring bag that hangs down from the ridge line to keep useful things in at night but generally its just my car key, torch and inhaler. My other kit lives in my day sack (PLCE side pocket) which hangs on the S hook at the far end of my hammock.

The biggest bear is needing to get up for a wee in the night, I always manage to swing out of the hammock away from where I left my boots and have to wriggle about to get them back on. I am almost tempted to take a rubber doormat to stand on :lmao:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
The best net hammock i used was one made in ''square mesh''
I liked mesh hammocks, and I am sure they are warmer as your sleeping bag puffs out in the gaps trapping more air. Solid hammocks completely compress the bag under neath you.

I had a bad record of breaking the end ropes on net hammocks and often wondered if there was any mileage in developing end "spreaders" to disperse the load and make it easier to sleep in.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I would also like to see the idea of putting kit into the hammock (and having the space for it) developed. I don't mean, as at present, little pockets for spectacles, mobiles etc, but where you could stuff an extra blanket, sweater and so on.

Check out the Clark North American. Came a close second when I bought the Warbonnet.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
It just struck me that my daughter has a 1m hammock that hangs over her bed with her cuddly toys in, it would be a doddle to put that between the two S hooks on my Magickelly hammock.:D Hmm I wonder if she would let me try it next weekend ::rolleyes:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just tripped over this thread and realised that I've changed things a bit recently.

These days I start with a couple of wide webbing straps, these have a loop tied in each end and their purpose is to spread the load across the tree bark without causing damage. I thread one end though the loop in the other end and attach climbing karabiners to the loose loops on each strap.

Hammock-1.jpg

Next I have two lengths of “static” cord, doubled from the middle and tied with simple overhand knots at regular intervals. This was an idea I picked up from "The Big Lebowski" at Rough Close. I attach one to each karabiner with a simple Cow Hitch. They could of course be hitched straight to the web straps for lightness but I find this a little easier and faster.

Hammock-2.jpg

I also have karabiners at both ends of my hammock which can now be attached between the two suspension cords at the required height by selecting any of the loops between the knots.

Hammock-4.jpg

For added security, I slip the krab. through the loops above and below the knot and leave the remaining length to hang down. This surplus cord will now act as a drip trap, channelling any water that runs down the cord away from the hammock.

Hammock-5.jpg

I also have a fixed length of cord between the two krabs. This serves a couple of purposes. Firstly it fixes the distance between the hammock ends so that the droop is consistent. Secondly, it acts as a ridge line for my insect net, which you can see furled up around the line in these pictures.

For insulation I'm still using the Group buy underblanket but I have added a couple of small clips so that it can be quickly attached and removed.

Hammock-6.jpg

I am currently experimenting with an extra layer of insulation for deep winter use, in the form of a cocoon that wraps right around the hammock and zips up at the top.

Winter_Hammock-4.jpg

And I've replaced the sleeping bag with a group buy quilt to reduce weight.

I still slide into the bottom of the hammock a bit but I guess I must have got used to it because I sleep very well in the hammock these days.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Thanks for the write up, really like all the Mods you've done to your hammock. Especially the pre tied loops in the static line going to the tree, never thought of that :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE