Zebra Billy Alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Ok folks, a simple question!

Who else make small stainless steel billy cans in 10cm/12cm sizes other than Zebra?
Or is this a very good reason for everyone being keen on Zebra ones and the whole of the UK being sold out?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri the Trog!

His interpretation of the "Morrisons Billy" is a modern design classic ;)

The "ogripot"

Take one stainless steel coffe jar with a tight fitting lid. Form a lid handle and secure with micro bolts (or rivets)

1510658880_e45bd415d8_m.jpg

Fashion two hooks and secure to opposite sides with similar bolts

1509804721_8e4920a971_m.jpg

Fashion a basic handle with slot

1509808537_5a3d5f0b00_m.jpg

To use as a conventional pan or mug slip the handle onto one hook

1509810055_39a25639ff_m.jpg

To use as a hung billy over a fire, hook a length of chain over each hook and hang over fire

1509812189_feedda659a_m.jpg

Not had it out to use yet but it looks a great design.

Sadly not widley available but I'm sure any requests submitted on a case of malt will be considered :D

Red

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
That would be a Snow Peak 900 pot with a bail riveted on, correct?

I have that pot and it's pretty good with a stove. However, I find that the lid/frying pan doesn't sit terribly securely on the main pot. Do you find this to be a problem, Hoodoo?

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Some great suggestions there. It's interesting that you have to go DIY to get anything that fits the bill for such a simple thing.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That would be a Snow Peak 900 pot with a bail riveted on, correct?

I have that pot and it's pretty good with a stove. However, I find that the lid/frying pan doesn't sit terribly securely on the main pot. Do you find this to be a problem, Hoodoo?

I think that is a 900 IIRC. There is a thread on this billy here somewhere. Not sure what you mean about the lid Jack. :dunno: Mine fits as snug as a bug in a rug. I did have to mount the ears for the billy properly so they would not interfere with the lid but that worked out fine. Is your lid not going down or is it just too loose? I have two of these pots, one plain and one I modified, and both have secure lids. I also have the 1400 and the lid fits nicely on that as well. Same style. Needs a bail though. ;) I have a couple 600 ml SnowPeak cups and they have those flat lids. Can't stand them really. Great cup though.

These Ti pots are WAY lighter than SS ones and have a lower thermal conductivity. I have to admit I'm a big Ti fan.

twigstove4c.jpg

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ok, OT warning, but kind of funny.

Zebra is a thai brand so I thought it would be a lot cheaper in thailand. A lot of training friends (I train muay thai, and spent several months in thailand) go there on a regular basis, so I thought I would ask one of them to pick me up a few sets. Thought they would almost be given away, as almost everything cost nothing over there.

Anyway, to my surprise, it seems as Zebra is the luxury brand over there! A 12 cm billy can (which is in the 'catering' collection of zebra, doubt it is made for camping or outdoors cooking) costs 575 bath, that equals around £9. So we aren't getting ripped of here after all!

back to topic...

to stay OT,

after having lived for more then 9 months in Thailand I bought a .5 liter (ROUND) pot/pan in Australia. Not knowing the origin yet AND never knew about Zebra billies. Great little bit of kit, in a momentary lapse of reason I gave it away (forttunately to people who needed it more then I did).

3 years later I read about a bloke who redesigned the army mess tin, made it OVAL, put a longer handle on the lid, connectected sides so it could hang above a fire....the BCB watchamacallit.... almost the same as my old round one...almost... great minds and bla bla... thing is.... I still haven't (cheaply) replaced my old pot (yet).

And in Thailand you (at least I) can only find those stacking pots the monks use etc...

Still on the search to replace the pot (BCB mess tin) and (iir) a tatonka 1 ltr billy... found'em... just finance and a combined international mail order away ;-)

Grtz Johan

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
hoodoo that looks good, reveal more, what you made it of, how etc:D

thanks

It's a bread loaf pan. I drilled some holes along the bottom, then made a grate from a piece of stove pipe I flattened out, to keep the fire above the vents so they would not plug with ashes. You have to drill holes in the grate as well. The rod across the top is a piece of 1/4" stainless tubing. Total weight, IIRC, is 14-15 ounces. If you can find bread loaf pans that are 3 inches deep, they work the best. Also, there is a lot of variation in weight among pans, so I look for the lighter ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE