Zebra Billy Alternatives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Not sure what you mean about the lid Jack. :dunno: Mine fits as snug as a bug in a rug.

The one I have is rather loose. The lid sort of perches on top of the pot rather than fitting securely, but since I've used it for quite a few years now it's a bit late to be griping! :D Anyway, it's been fine for stove use and I have other billy cans for the fire.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
oh yes! We had the kettle version over a lovely ash fire pretty much all weekend. The steel is pretty heavy gauge - perhaps not as thick as your average sauce pan but certainly thick enough.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
But don't the tiffin tins seperate. I know the kettle is pretty good, just the "storage tins" have me worried whether they would take a battering.. and a flaming

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
ah the storage tins are just as thick, lot more shallow tho so probably wouldnt use them for cooking. Thought you were talking about the billy's $orry

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What is so special about the Zebra cans????? We see post, after post, after post, after post about something we boil water in or cook food in. Why this brand? They do the same job as my old faithful Bulldog pan set, and yet people here on site seem obsessed with them. They don't conduct heat much better if at all in the scheme of things than my Aluminium Bulldogs (or Bulldog clones), so whats all the fuss about? They are PANS and POTS, nothing special, so please tell me why I or others should spend a lot of dosh on this brand as opposed to saving dosh on pans which will fit the bill just fine (and have done for the last 40 years in my experience).

This thread is about Zebra alternatives, and I urge people to save money and find them:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

What is so special about the Zebra cans????? We see post, after post, after post, after post about something we boil water in or cook food in. Why this brand? They do the same job as my old faithful Bulldog pan set, and yet people here on site seem obsessed with them. They don't conduct heat much better if at all in the scheme of things than my Aluminium Bulldogs (or Bulldog clones), so whats all the fuss about? They are PANS and POTS, nothing special, so please tell me why I or others should spend a lot of dosh on this brand as opposed to saving dosh on pans which will fit the bill just fine (and have done for the last 40 years in my experience).

This thread is about Zebra alternatives, and I urge people to save money and find them:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

Rik,

Aluminium polarises opinion with regards to cookware. Others on here have stated reasons why they don't like it (hard to clean, hot spots, oxidisation etc) - me? .... I just don't like it - irrational I know - but I'm set in my ways a bit here. SS or nowt! (I've yet to be swayed by titanium or HA aluminium). I think it's because, when you lick it, you can taste it - and that's what put's me off.

Good post though, as an alternative to the Zebras - the bulldogs are a cheap and versatile option and for those who don't mind aluminium, very viable. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik,

Aluminium polarises opinion with regards to cookware. Others on here have stated reasons why they don't like it (hard to clean, hot spots, oxidisation etc) - me? .... I just don't like it - irrational I know - but I'm set in my ways a bit here. SS or nowt! (I've yet to be swayed by titanium or HA aluminium). I think it's because, when you lick it, you can taste it - and that's what put's me off.

Good post though, as an alternative to the Zebras - the bulldogs are a cheap and versatile option and for those who don't mind aluminium, very viable. :)

Fin, don't lick it then, I use a scouring pad to clean my pans to be honest;)

PS, don't get me started about Titanium, worse than Zebra stuff, just another over priced bushcraft fashion accessory mate

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
PS, don't get me started about Titanium, worse than Zebra stuff, just another over priced bushcraft fashion accessory mate

You're entitled to your opinion but then so am I. I'll take titanium any day over stainless or aluminum. As far as bushcraft fashion accessory, depending on how "pure" your little bushcraft heart is, you can say that about any modern kit, including aluminum pots.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk

Ok I'll bite! What don't you like about Ti apart from the price? I thought it was supposed to be good for cooking and really light, but I've never used it myself.

I have no objection to this becoming a general cookpot discussion, but I'm still keen to know if there is a non-DIY 10-12cm SS non-Zebra billy out there! Or to hear about other DIY versions.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
To be honest i refuse to pay the prices of things classed as "Bushcraft" due to the inflated prices.

Admiitedly i'd prefer steel cooking pots over aluminium because of things i've heard about it oxidising, connection to Alzheimers and they melt.

But i too can't see this fascination with Zebra billys, a steel can would do just as good a job as long as it's cleaned out afterwards.

Right just experimented with a couple of old steel steamer pots. One with holes and one without. The holey one will have bolts for legs and be used as a portable fire pit and the bottom pan is now my cook pot. Just need a handle on it and i'm away.

Total cost - £0
Only donwside is they're not exactly light. But combined with my crusader cup i'm sorted. it's amazing what you can find and put to use in your own home :D
PIC_0003-1.jpg

PIC_0002-2.jpg

PIC_0001-2.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am hungry give me a coffee can.A tomato can any big can.:drive:

So true Robert, we have several large tins with home made bales that work really well :)

Nat, I've yet to melt a pot and the altzimers link has long gone.

My big moan about Titanium and Zebra pots is cost and to a degree, size. For me and my lad, the Bulldogs do all we need, 2 pint pot for a brew, 4 pint pot for stew etc, and the 6 pint pot for spuds/pasta/rice and you can get all three for under £15. If three or four of us camp, I take my Hi Gear 18, 20 and 22cm pan set, retail at @£25 the set (I picked mine up on offer at Wilkinsons for £6.99 the set), how much would either set cost me from Zebra or made of Titanium?

For me, one of the great joys of camping is cooking, I don't get the same buzz of a packet of noodles than I do from a camp cooked stew or curry. I am an old fashioned camper, I like my comfort and good food, and you can't cook a lot in a Jetboil or MSR Titanium mug. As you can guess, I'm not an ultra light camper

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
And the good news is, it works!

Takes a while for water to boil but i need to drill holes in the side of the fire pan to feed the fire. The holes in the bottom aren't enough, so some side ones should do the trick.

Oh and pine wood stinks and smokes!!!!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
It's a bread loaf pan. I drilled some holes along the bottom, then made a grate from a piece of stove pipe I flattened out, to keep the fire above the vents so they would not plug with ashes. You have to drill holes in the grate as well. The rod across the top is a piece of 1/4" stainless tubing. Total weight, IIRC, is 14-15 ounces. If you can find bread loaf pans that are 3 inches deep, they work the best. Also, there is a lot of variation in weight among pans, so I look for the lighter ones.

Thanks Hoodoo
im going to have a go at that, i reckon the size will fit the side pocket on my sack perfect.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
It's interesting to read camping texts from a century ago on the subject of cookware. Actually, many of them are interesting for all sorts of reasons, but something that crops up is the debate over aluminium. At the time it was seen both as a wonder metal, the best thing ever devised for camping, and as a very expensive novelty... exactly like titanium, in fact.

At the moment, titanium is very expensive. Is it worth it? That's up to the buyer, really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE