Your opinion wanted!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Work back from the most probable types of injury. I'll say it's knife cuts or more broadly, bleeding. Gotta stop that.
The needed supplies (bandages, etc) are so light weight, you should be able to carry an adequate size of supply.
Shelter becomes a First Aid issue all year long where I live, good to read you attended to that.
Emergency fire under any circumstances. Guaranteed reliability. Hypothermia can't be fixed with a plaster.

Commercial First Aid Kits try to cover so many eventualities, I wonder if they are what you need to carry.
I bought a couple of recommended ones. One unit lives in the house, the other in the Suburban.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I second Larentius' suggestion about gaffer tape. Can be used in a splinting situation, to stop a deep cut bleeding ( maybe not a cut Artery though) plus as a sticky part in a large bandage.

Most accidents are caused by lack of skill, knowledge and too much eagerness.

Do not watch Bear G. He has a full Dr behind the camera.

Reactions: Herman30
Mar 3, 2020
Canada
I will try to write this in a constructive and polite way.
You should not have any packs on you body when sitting in a car, due to the airbags and seat belt design. If the airbag goes off when you have a chest pack on, the risk for fracture of your rib cage is quite high. Plus the seat belt, even if long enough, will sit wrongly, possibly sliding up un your neck, and either strangling you or crushing your windpipe.

Putting a weight on your chest is anatomically wrong. To counterbalance it, you need to activate your back muscles a little bit more than designed for. Large risk for (shortterm) damage.

Some decades go, in Sweden, it became very popular amongs the long bearded, sandal wearing male population, to carry their child in a Baby Bjorn. it was designed there, so the father could carry shopping bags and such ( free hands) and also 'feel close' to the child. So many guys got back problems, that the Government issued recommendations that guys should not use them.

Look around you worldwide. No culture carries any weight on the chest. Back, shoulders, hip, head yes. Chest - no.

The only chest carrying has been done by soldiers, with ammo pouches, plus grenades, and a long gun hanging off the neck/shoulders on a sling.
Modern systems have very flat pouches as close to the weight midline as possible.
But, with a backpack, you can get away with a couple of kilos on the chest. The weight can balance the back load a bit. BUT, the weight will put extra pressure on the shoulders and upper back.
as you surely know, ideally, a backpack should be packed so the heavy stuff is at the top, close to the center line, and maybe 80% of the weight hanging off the hips.

Yes, I am aware of the short distances the OP intends to use his chest pack on. It will be all good!

I am sorry that I offended you. I said vehicle, not car. Troops in LAVs and helicopters often use front carry as back carry can be awkward and troublesome. Further, among others, apple harvesters in Nova Scotia often use front slung harvest baskets. You said front carry is never done, and then you say soldiers do it. Please make up your mind. And you seem to have a thing against progressive Swedish fathers (I don't know what that is all about).

I doubt you are either a safety expert, or a chiropractor. Perhaps I am wrong. Regardless, this forum is supposed to be about equipment choices, not carry options.

Later.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
@Janne

What people call me, I do not care about. At this age (53) it is enough that I do what pleases myself.

Don't worry about the standard armchair I know best response from some people

Its a perfectly valid option used by loads of people

Have a look a hillpeoplegear - they do a range of this type of setup that is very popular - its primarily for a conceal carry firearm behind a load carrying set up but there is plenty to say carrying like this has a lot of positives over keeping stuff in a rucksack or on your waist particularly went its a hassle removing a pack to get to stuff or when you are doing as activity where such options would get in the way

I'd use one of these over a waist setup any day of the week.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
A map?
I wish i had a large anorak chest pocket to put my map in instead of it wildly swinging off my neck in its map case or having it in the cargo pockets on my trousers. Slightly bothersome towards the end of a 17mile walk.

In regard to first aid, a cotton scarf/bandana, a bit of sudocrem, duct tape and a sewing kit. A bit of improvisation and it will take care of all minor injuries you could likely self treat and all serves more than one use. Sudocrem is brilliant stuff.
For much more youd probably need help which is where a mobile phone and a whistle would be handy.

A good headtorch is always handy. You can get ones that flash SOS also.

Edit: A karabiner clip to hang your gloves off when theyre not on your hands?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Regarding FAK, I bought the one that is in the video.
I have a couple of Grimlocks on the bag for hanging stuff like gloves.
41%2BSemMB6lL._SY355_.jpg

One on my jackets is an anorak, 50/50 cotton/polyester:

Last edited:

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Very nice, although it's a bit dark I love the M05 camo pattern. That pocket looks plenty big and i'm a fan of elasticated cuffs, keeps the sleeves where they should be.

Looks like a good bit of kit, what's it called?
I'm looking for a good anorak.
Been thinking of getting a a sso/sposn Gorka C. Just waiting for work to pick up again.
It's an anorak version of the gorka suit, i own a bars gorka 3 which i love but the jacket design means the waistbelt of my rucksack makes the jacket pockets hard to get to and id like a chest pocket for a map.
So been thinking of upgrading to the sso/sposn suit, for the anorak and slightly better build and material quality + a few extra features. Either suit is still very good value for money regarding design and materials used.
I especially like the trousers and the braces that come with them.

I quite like the idea of a small chest rig my self, you may have inspired me.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Herman30

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I like the idea of a chest rig in principle and for some years used a modified Macpac module to carry the sort of things you want to. The idea was to be able to either carry on or in whichever pack i was using then wear it in front as in your picture. I also wanted to use it independently especially in hot conditions.

i found the following drawbacks when I wore it in front with a pack:
it obscured the view of my feet, dangerous on rocky mountain paths!
It made squeezing through gaps difficult
I couldn't get to the contents as easily as I had hoped
The rig always seemed too big or too small!
It was uncomfortable especially with a pack with a waist belt

At the moment I use a light day sack which goes inside my main pack. This can be worn in front but still has the drawback mentioned above. I am currently working on going back to the method I used years ago: a small pouch attached to the yoke of my pack. However, this requires a rigorous appraisal of what really does have to be within easy reach and what can stay in the pack.

So I am very pleased that you started this thread and with the helpful replies you are getting I hope we can both find a solution - if there is one!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have never been is such an exhausting rush that I need to have access to anything carried in a chest pack.
In any case, what I really want is probably in my back pack. Take it off, sit down, paw through it, eat and drink.
All of my outer shell clothing needs lots of pockets = a select feature I need.

I recommend a Timber Cruiser's vest. Those people estimate value and harvest volume.
The red vests that they wear are really a layer, front and back, of pockets of all shapes and sizes.
I have hunting kit that lives in mine. I don't need to do inventory. Put it on, everything is there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE