Your most usefull bit of kit??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Hi all

Just wondering what you take out with you as the most usefull bit of your kit, Besides your knife, stove and fire kit!!

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
knowlege and the ability to translate that knowlege into actions is by far the most useful thing to take into the woods.

but my most usefull bit of kit would probably be my sleeping bag and thermarest, makes sleeping anywere comfortable.

Shankly

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
Cambs
For me it has to be a camping chair.. A "few" years ago now, one of my mates decided to bring one of those bad boys out to our camp, now up until that point we had all been reasonably happy to rest our hump on a stump or on the deck, so during the start of the camp the rest of us extracted the yellow stuff, then as the usual aches started to set in, people began to steal a couple of minutes on the comfy chair whenever my mate was out of the thing. The problem is that after a good feed next to a roaring fire, and with a drop of the red stuff in yer hands, sitting in a camp chair just seems so relaxing, even civilized. Needless to say on the next trip we all had one, and although I wouldnt carry it on a long distance hike, I would never dream of camping locally without it.... (Anyone can be uncomfotable.!!! ) :D

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
The things I always take in my bag are knife, firesteel, brewkit and waterbottle. Usually folding saw too.

So the answer to your question is, (in order of importance): The bag itself, waterbottle and folding saw.

Even if it wasn't carrying the other stuff, at this time of year the bag is indepensible for carrying foraged goodies. Last week it came home full of hazelnuts and blackberries :)

Rat

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I tried to work this out by thinking "what do I use most" but no clear object jumped out so I thought "which bits do I take on a trip and don't use much" and that didn't help either.

As I think about it now I realise that my light kit works as a whole. It works because it has all the bits required, no more no less.

Makes me wonder why I keep trying new bits all the time?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I don't think there's any one single piece which I favour the most, they all have their place in my pack.

EDIT:

Oops, Gary beat me to it

I do have a weak spot for my Ventile coat and a few of my knives but I like to look at them as a whole package also.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
For me it has to be a camping chair.. A "few" years ago now, one of my mates decided to bring one of those bad boys out to our camp, now up until that point we had all been reasonably happy to rest our hump on a stump or on the deck, so during the start of the camp the rest of us extracted the yellow stuff, then as the usual aches started to set in, people began to steal a couple of minutes on the comfy chair whenever my mate was out of the thing. The problem is that after a good feed next to a roaring fire, and with a drop of the red stuff in yer hands, sitting in a camp chair just seems so relaxing, even civilized. Needless to say on the next trip we all had one, and although I wouldnt carry it on a long distance hike, I would never dream of camping locally without it.... (Anyone can be uncomfotable.!!! ) :D

As Les Hiddins (The Bush Tucker Man) says "Chairs millionairs"

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think a small saw like a laplander is a godsend, and Ive been very happy since I bought a proper kettle. I previously didnt like to carry the extra weight and just used a cooking pot, but no matter how hard you scrub there is always an aftertaste of food in the brew. I dont know why I put up with it for so long a good brew is worth its weight in gold in the woods!

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Oh come on Shewie! :D
If you were going out and had your knife, fire kit and brew kit in your pockets/hands/carrier bag :rolleyes:, and then someone said "you can take just one more thing"...

... what would be the thing you reach for?

Rat

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh come on Shewie! :D
If you were going out and had your knife, fire kit and brew kit in your pockets/hands/carrier bag :rolleyes:, and then someone said "you can take just one more thing"...

... what would be the thing you reach for?

Rat

Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Probably the best bit of kit I've ever bought is IDWs underblanket, it's made winter nights out so much more comfortable.

Next week it could be my Honey stove and Tatonka burner though :)

Or my new Alpkit doss bag

Or my Swazi Tahr .....

Okay then I can't narrow it down to just one, I want them all and they're usually packed in my sack :D

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Poncho!

Keeps me dry and wind resistant day and night, and collects/holds water when it raining. Also use it as a stretcher, although not so good by yourself!

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Probably the best bit of kit I've ever bought is IDWs underblanket, it's made winter nights out so much more comfortable.

Next week it could be my Honey stove and Tatonka burner though :)

Or my new Alpkit doss bag

Or my Swazi Tahr .....

Okay then I can't narrow it down to just one, I want them all and they're usually packed in my sack :D

LOL! OK, you win. And if it was chucking it down I might be reaching for my brolly... :D

Rat

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Hmm... the Laplander's a good one, and I certainly wouldn't go out without my hammock and underquilt/sleeping bag. Of course, none of us go out with sharps unless we're carrying a FAK, do we? ;) But I guess the most important one is my brew bag, which includes tea, powdered milk, sugar, hot choc, and filter coffee set. After all, if it all goes wrong, sit down and have a brew!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hmm... the Laplander's a good one, and I certainly wouldn't go out without my hammock and underquilt/sleeping bag. Of course, none of us go out with sharps unless we're carrying a FAK, do we? ;) But I guess the most important one is my brew bag, which includes tea, powdered milk, sugar, hot choc, and filter coffee set. After all, if it all goes wrong, sit down and have a brew!

If you've got your cup :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE