Your most expensive knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
The most expensive knife I own is an SWC bushcrafter (about £250), but it was a gift from my mother. Contrasting with that probably the most expensive knife that I bought was a frost mora :eek:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
My most expensive purchase is my Gransfors tomahawk at around £115. Superb quality but not as nice to use as my HI Kukri (WWII model). Can't be beat for chopping to weight ratio though.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I guess if we're including time then the Frosts Lapplander which I handled - took me hours, but the blade was a present (and only about £13 anyway). Most expensive bought is my trusty Frosts Mora - about £9.50!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
<Stands up>
When I was a lot younger and a good deal dafter I bought a Cris Reeves Jereboam 1 "survival" knife, it even had the sawback on it:rolleyes: that was the fashion back in about 89-90.
From memory I paid £182 for it including postage from Framar Shooting world.

Its all singing and dancing, and to me its about as much use as a chocolate fireguard:eek:
Too big, and I just never ever use it, in fact I feel slightly ashamed at even buying it.

On the up side I doubt it will have gone down in value much over the years as its serial number is 15.

<Looks around to see if this admission has caused undue mirth, and sits back down again like an old soak at an AA meeting>

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm making my own, then selling them for cost to move onto another, at the moment I'm spending £90 on blades and then the bits! God knows what I would spend on them complete.

The most expensive I ever bought was a Boker for £40 in the sale. Thin hollow blade - OK for fish and game, but....

The most expensie I own - I'll put up pics when it's finished. Around £110 in materials

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
John Eric damascus scandi that I got for my girlfriend... I think it was about £325... Pic Here. totally worth it - it's beautiful.

Je*** , if i spent that much on a knife even for me wife she would gralloch me with it then clean it and send it back for a refund..............

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I guess if we're including time then the Frosts Lapplander which I handled - took me hours, but the blade was a present (and only about £13 anyway). Most expensive bought is my trusty Frosts Mora - about £9.50!

I was going to say me too, but I own a Leatherman Charge XTI, so that is my most expensive knife.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The most expensive knife is a SAK at £20 but manged to get the same model for my son for £10.
I made my own knife for about £45 excluding tools.

Knifeandsheath.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Probably my AW dama Woodlore, can't remember what i paid, think it was £350 - £400
Not my favourite knife (that's a £5 ex army issue SAK Soldier) but certainly lived up to me expectations, the sheath didn't but the knife is a peach.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
MyGuy.jpg

A one off knife by Guy Stainforth (Guycep on Britishblades) which I actually got in one of the KITHs (a knifemakers luckydip) over on BB. It is my most used knife so is certainly not for sale but I guess if it were it would be easily worth £200+

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Probably my AW dama Woodlore, can't remember what i paid, think it was £350 - £400
Not my favourite knife (that's a £5 ex army issue SAK Soldier) but certainly lived up to me expectations, the sheath didn't but the knife is a peach.
But then I can't think of many people who can match your leatherwork skills, and the Woodlore sheaths I've seen dont come anywhere close!

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon

OK im intrigued, why the soldier is your favourite?

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
OK I'm intrigued, why the soldier is your favourite?

It just has a lot of sentimental value.

I bought it second hand for £5 at a Game Fair, I probably used it more than any other knife i have owned simply because it was the only one i had at the time.
I carried it when i was working away from home for a year, I had to live a fairly basic stripped down lifestyle.
Living out of a shoulder bag and a different bed every other night makes you travel light and shed every unnecessary possession.
I carried 2 knives, a Frosts Mora and the Vic Soldier, I used the Frosts at work and the Soldier for everything else.

These days i have so many knives to choose from that i don't get to appreciate them as well because I'm constantly changing around.
An expensive or quality knife does give a certain satisfaction but doesn't necessarily make it a better knife and often a cheap knife will give more satisfaction because you are not afraid to carry, sharpen or use it.
I'm a knife collector and daily user and I'm often torn between using and collecting.
I like to really use and get to know my "user" knives but it's hard to resist the temptation to try them all in the constant search for a better knife :rolleyes: :D .

I recently watched the Mors Kochanski DVD's and he used a £10 Frosts knife for everything, it's amazing to see him fell the tree's to make snow shoes, pack frame,saw frame etc. all with a cheap knife.
The man is a living legend and any knife maker would be honoured to make him a knife but he prefers to use a cheap Frosts, really made me think about my expensive hand made bushcrafters :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE