Your most expensive knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
No and's, if's, or but's...

What was it and how much did it cost (and realistically, did the value live up to standards?).

Trades, bargaining, and labor (if you crafted the knife yourself) are valued as well.

For me, after rummaging this late spring, It has to be the Kershaw 1590GR Ser #0570 Limited production(2000 made), Assisted opening, Titanium Handled, S30V bladed folder.

KER1590GR.jpg

The handle it not really lime-green, it's more mint green

Bought last year delivered for $140; present value $180 +shipp.:D

edispilff

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Somebody gave me an Emerson Combat Karambit Folder. I checked the web site and it lists for $239. I've never bought a knife for more then $60 and I have dozens that were much less.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Mora - £10.00 - I was ripped as I have also had em for £5!
I OWN lots of more expensive knives, gifts /review samples etc and make knives that I sell for more, but doe not have any knife I bought for more!
John

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The most expensive knife I own is a sami reindeer antler knife. I payed 1200 NOK ( about 200 USD) for it a couple of years ago.
It is a very fine knife. But it is really not worth the money as I could make one just as sturdy and useful for about 100-150 NOK. A cheap Mora could be bought for about 20-30 NOK.
I guess it is in the human nature to use a lot of money on "bling":) .

Tor

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Possibly tangental to the question.

Most expensive knife I have had was a a cheap folder - no brand. I forgot :togo: ( no excuse ) my usual kinfe - think it was a Cold Steel Hunter at that time - when out on the hill.

Stag was shot by a client and a colleague decided to do the gralloch. My shame was lessened in that he had forgotten to bring any knife at all! We ooze professionalism us lot. At least we had a rifle!

On first contact with the beast, the knife broke - at the hinge pin, the blade neatly flying back and cutting colleague deeply into hand and slicing through a tendon.:eek: All was not going well. I wrapped the injury - had FaK - and all credit to the client, he insisted we made straight off to get it treated, leaving the stag with a rag wrapped round the antler.

Colleague recovered fully after lengthy treatment and physio. Arguably costly enough.

However, when I Argo'd back to the stag several hours later, the local eagle population had been on a picnic. The client had wanted to have a full mount done of the head - the eagles left it looking like if had stuck its nose in a large blender,:rolleyes:

Considerable expense in terms of my credibility and colleague injury and drastic £££ ( or $$$ ) impact of American client.

Important lesson learned - cheap knives CAN be dangerous - so always lend them out to someone else to take the risk....:sadwavey:

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
Has to be my now discontinued Wilkinson Sword CSK185 "Dartmoor Survival Knife" paid £170 for it, now going for much more than that.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
My most expensive is my Wilkinson Sword Woodlore micarta. I paid £95.00 for it and I would say it was worth it. It's a very good knife and fits my hand well. Sadly I use it less now they fetch silly money on e-bay.
My cheapest were a batch of 50+ used SAK's from ebay for about £65! I kept as many as I could justify, gifted some to family & friends, and sold the rest. Made enough profit to buy one or two rarer SAK's for myself too!:D

Dave

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
My most expensive knife was a Shing Folder at £115, worth every penny. Next to that was my micarta ws woodlore at £95 and again worth every penny. Still have a mora and an opinel at the other end of the scale. All of them get used to the same standard of abuse/care.

Cheers

JFW

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I haven't bought any knives. I don't plan to either. For one thing I can't afford it, for another, I don't like 99% of the knives I see. If I had the money and desire I would buy either a Japanese knife or a Scandinavian knife. Their knives are rooted in history and reality and have passed the test of time. I prefer to make my own. I have mostly used and abused a knife I made from 5160 spring steel. I quenched it in water and it is very hard. I've used it for chopping, prying, digging out nails and industrial staples. It sharpens well and easily, and holds its edge. I can't imagine buying a knife that would do better, but since I haven't bought any, I could be wrong. Todd

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
my aw bushcrafter in black linen micarta with matching black leather sheath £145 but worth twice that in my mind and them my woodlore micarta paid £85 no vat but going on evil bay for a lot more than that

As far as I see, and I try to look far, people spend their money on cheap crap all the time.
That is not to say there are lots of inexpensive knives and tools that will do the job.

Okay I'm biased and I can't even afford the knives or tools I make but when my wife, kid and I make something it is working art. It is living. It's the best knife or tool you will ever own and it will last 100 yrs. It will do exactly what you want it to do and more. If you're not satisfied we'll make you another one.

When you're talking handmade and hand forged I think it may be a different story.
I know most makers who make knives by hand have lots of integrity. A connection is made when you hold a nice handmade knife and it fits perfectly in your hand like no other. Like an extension of your hand. It keeps a razor edge like nothing you've seen before, and you'd be able to give it to your grandson on his 18th birthday after you've used it for 25 yrs. What's a little extra investment. What better gift, for someone who loves to cook, fish, hike or hunt than a handmade knife they can use for the rest of their lives?

You get what you pay for.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
All so true!

haven't carried a non-handmade (by self) in the woods for 20 years.
The puukko blades from brisa.fi (mainly lauri PT) are really good blades with a little touch-up, and have been used on almost all my knives. Not including time and love, the total cost of a knife comes to ~$20 USD... and they last, well, through my lifetime!

edispilff

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
You guys are really risking it.. ;)

I bet quite a few of the guys on here won't be posting on this thread, just in case of the remote chance that their wives would ever read it..

Mine? £30 on a Lapp Pukko.. (wife is right next to me at the mo too...eek)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can show you the knife but I genuinely can't remember the cost (other than to say around the £200 mark)

I'm not too stressed about BB finding out - she bought me my Lee Reeves double bit (and a Singteck custom mask and two spare helves) so she knows what good sharps cost!

416654337_183d055909.jpg

Blade hand forged by Goran Enocksson in Sleipner tool steel with file work on the spine, Handle and sheath by Magnus Axelson. Handle is Blackwood, Buffalo Horn with Brass and Pewter stringing and Sheath Is wet formed with matching brass and pewter stringing in the welt

A truly great knife but not quite the perfect knife (for me) - thats coming next week :D

Red

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Probably these two:

hVeile_0009.jpg

Howard Veile design Wasp (large) titanium handles, get them here.

http://www.heinnie.com/cgi-bin/hein...gi?page=crkt/fr-crkt.htm&cart_id=6305541.5704

I'm really not into spending a lot of money on knives they only end up getting damaged but I do like something that I consider nice and not just utility.

If only they made that as a leftie I would love one of these. Oh and I'm not worried about my wife finding out how much blades cost
as the Shing folder was my Christmas present from her - I'm worried about her finding out how many knives I own....:eek:

Cheers

JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE