Your favourite Bushcraft TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The reactions to the current Ray Mears' programmes have been interesting and have got me thinking about what programmes(s) I've enjoyed most. The title says "favourite bushcraft TV" but I guess for my own part I'm thinking about previous RM programmes if we're talking about challenging and interesting environments with a whole dose of skills mixed in.

Because of all the repeats of recent years I've now got a reasonable collection of recordings which I view at the times I want to escape for an hour from the more irritating aspects of modern life and have narrowed my choice down to one of three (I'll give brief descriptions as they don't have single titles:
1 - In the Rockies (scenic grandeur, shelter ,fire & fishing skills and Bears!)
2 - Alaska (forest atmosphere, firelighting, cooking and the pilot who survived a crash and went back for more)
3- Belarus (wildlife, skills, and the poignant reunion of the elderly resistance fighters)

That means I've left out other favourites like Arizona (on the trail of the Apache) and Siberia: I'm really struggling but I'll plump for Belarus (until I change my mind!).Anyone else have any thoughts?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I agree with your top three there Falcon, they are the ones I come back to most often from the 3 extreme survival series.

The thing is I still have not seen all the World of Survival programs and as we know you can't buy them on DVD.

I caught heros of telemark on sky last saturday and managed to video all but the first hour or so, They had a mamouth 12 till 8pm session. I will have to work through it as I never saw the end first time round. If anyone wants to borrow it after that I'm happy to post it especially if anyone has the ability to transfer it to DVD (a digital camcorder + a computer with a DVDR is all you need I think).

Bill

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
Yep bush Tucker man was the original and best. Although the bare foot bushman had some very good bits.

A car is born was a good one to.... oh hang on wrong forum :naughty:

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Yes i agree Les Hiddins is one of my favorites too, I have one of the hats he used in his series, brought it back from Perth last year. I tried to buy one of his books though, and even asked the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company)who fronted his shows, but to no avail! one woman in the ABC shop didnt even know who he was!!! :shock: managed in the end to get a small field guide to bush tucker by him after more serching! :roll: :wink:

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Yep, Les Hiddins shows were great. Must not forget Ray's Tracks snippets. I'd love a compilation of those on DVD. Some of Huge Furry Whotnots early series - A cook on the wildside - got quite close to bushcraft too.

Roger Daltry did some re-enactment type stuff on one of the satelite channels that had him eating beaver (the animal! :nono: ) and carving paddles etc that was also pretty good.

Dave

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
MartiniDave said:
Roger Daltry did some re-enactment type stuff on one of the satelite channels that had him eating beaver (the animal! :nono: ) and carving paddles etc that was also pretty good.

Dave

[Bevis and Butthead] He said eating beaver :hump:[/Bevis and Butthead]

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Honest Stuart, he was eating beaver tail, possum and all sorts of "delicacies".
Can't say he looked like he enjoyed it though!

Dave

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Must have missed out on the Bush tucker programmes - how long ago were they broadcast? Is any video material etc available?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I think the bush tucker programs have been running for ages... I think they are periodically re-run on one of the discovery channels every few months.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Thanks for the reply - I'll have a search through Google perhaps just in case anything is still available..........

zen

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2004
Dorset
Does anyone remember Jack Hargreaves presenting the TV Series "Out of Town" in the 70's?

It's not strictly Bushcraft but he did have an encyclopedic knowledge of traditional country life in and around the New Forest. I grew up on the edge of the forest and so found him absolutely fascinating.

You'll know what I mean if you've seen it. :wink:

P.S. I just did a spellcheck and it didn't recognise "bushcraft" :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE