Trip Report Winter Daypack Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi de hi campers!

I headed out to the woods last weekend for a wild camp using only the kit that we could fit in our day packs. It's a bit of fun, but proved to be a really interesting exercise. It really got me thinking about how I could minimise the kit that I take out with me on my camping trips.

I for one am guilty of letting those little luxuries creep into my rucksack. Doing this exercise also put me in a position in which I could test my campcraft skills because I also wanted to enjoy some bacon and bannock bread. But the issue was that I intentionally left my frying pan or grill out of my rucksack!

I've just published a more detailed insight into the challenge over on my blog. I've also produced a video of the trio which is also viewable on the same page. I'd love to hear your views on the Daypack challenge and what you might do.

Link to the blog article and video here:
https://barneysbimbles.blogspot.com/2020/01/january-2020-wild-camp-winter-daypack.html

Note to mods: as always, I'm not trying to sell anything and have no affiliations or advertising activated on my blogspot page. It's all for fun!

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Nice write-up. As you observe yourself, you could reduce still further if you want to.

Just as a thought to throw in, I've taken a second nesting cup with me to fit over a Nalgene-sized bottle (ie one on the top, one on the bottom); that way you don't take up any more space but can then have a drink in one & cook in the other. (So you could do without the kettle I mean)

Reactions: Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Nice write-up. As you observe yourself, you could reduce still further if you want to.

Just as a thought to throw in, I've taken a second nesting cup with me to fit over a Nalgene-sized bottle (ie one on the top, one on the bottom); that way you don't take up any more space but can then have a drink in one & cook in the other. (So you could do without the kettle I mean)
Cheers Dave. Good idea with the second nesting cup. I've recently been using the wildo fold a cups and they work pretty well. Next time I definitely would do without the kettle, it was an extravagance but I couldn't help myself!

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Great write up. I love living out of a small rucksack. It certainly focuses the mind.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE