Your Best Bushcraft Bargains? Top kit you got for peanuts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What are your best bushcraft bargains?

Norgy Canvas rucksack.
norwegian_rucksack_used.jpg

Excellent pack, external frame, made by Bergans, bought for £15....
[Sold my other expensive Frosts River, and Duluth packs, as this does the same job for a lot less dosh]
** Its not quite as well made as FR and Duluth. But fit enough for most peoples purposes

Buffalo Parka.

images

Should have cost £150ish, but thanks to Imagedude, I think I paid about £25 from Ebay?
Cracking deal.

Swanndri Bush-shirt.

images

Bought in the classifieds here ten years ago for £35 if I recall!!

Tilley T3 Hat
images

£40 Bought new. Worth every penny.

Cotton gabardine DPM windproof trousers, brand new.

£18 delivered from Cliff on classifieds on here. Dont make em like they used to!

Soldier 95 gloves.

images

Leather, goretex lined. £10 off ebay. I think they cost the MOD £40 per pair?

Austrian Army Trousers.

images

Poly cotton trousers, at £14 per pair from endicotts.
On a par with much more expensive trousers. Gotta love the surplus!

Austrian Army Pullover.
images

Warmest sweater you'll ever wear. £30. Very well made.
Civvy versions of same dachstein wool are £200 to £300. Grab one while you can!

Woollen trousers [Nimrod Loden trousers.]

Picture3566.jpg

Nice heavyweight. Fit well. Non scratchy. Added Brit army braces, and buttons.£26 down from £116. Link from Gill.

Canvas Medina tent: [With Inner. Similiar to Vango force ten, but bigger]
attachment.php

£30. Surplus off Ebay.
Not a fan of the bright orange, so I dyed the thing! Very nice to sleep in. Feels very secure.
Ive had Tentipis, and a few other expensive jobbies.
I dont know why, but I really like this old tent!

US Army Goretex woodland Bivy Bag.
Gortex+Bivy+Bag+%257C+RMI.jpg

Better than the Brit Bivy bag IMO. Someone was flogging these off, as new, on amazon for about £12ish last year!!! Linked from Paul I think?

Green Regatta waterproof Overtrousers.

md-mtY-4Qlkja0OLhqngS8Q.jpg

Quite tough, very cheap @ £7. Keep you dry, elasticated waist. Fit well. Perfect for canoeing/hanging around in a forest. What more do ya want?

Nanok SF Endurance -10 Sleeping bag.

osprey.jpg

A few years back, I forget now, but Nanok merged, or something happened....And a surplus shop on Ebay was flogging these brand new for £40!

Ive got quite a lot of other stuff I consider a real bargain. I'll think on it and add it later.

What are your best bushy bargains?

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My friend gave me his set of Icebears in return for sharpening up his knives. :)!

Best purchase would be the Czech army bed roll or my £5 UCO clone.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I suppose my best bushy bargain is a Survival Aids ventile windshirt bought from a charity shop for, I think, a fiver. Close second is a Swanndri wool shirt for a tenner from a market stall.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Just picked up a snugpac poncho for 11£ good price for a good bit of kit. But the best deal I ever got was a leatherman wave for 25$ about 10 years ago, the pliers snapped back last week I sent it back to leatherman and got a nice new upgraded model, now that's a good deal!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
This is an odd one but:

About three years ago I bought a lightweight, foldable and waterproof hat from Highlander for less than a tenner delivered; it's one of those Taslan things, seems like it'll fall to bits in five minutes and won't keep you dry.
It didn't and it does though, and it folds up small into a little integral pocket with a little tag on it - I never go anywhere without it being in either pack or pocket and it's never let me down, despite heavy use.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've lacking here!
Brand new Bear Grylls ferro rod for £4 is about as well as I can do, apart from ordering a Mora and DC4 from a website and they just kept sending me the same order each day (for no extra charge); I had to fess up in the end and was told they would stop sending but didn't ask for them back.

Steve (redandshane on here) got a brand new Berghause jacket for £6 from a charity shop!! Jammy Scots man.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Optimus 111B for seven quid at a flea market on the Barbican in Plymouth ca 1990. Perfect working order, been using it ever since. British military number 2 stove from a boat jumble in Nottingham about 1995. Same condition, same price. Sorry, Red. :)

Biker

Firstly let me preface my posting by saying that I won't be putting prices for what I got my top flight pieces of kit for and saying I got them for peanuts would be insulting the makers of each as I am extremely grateful to each of them for these tools.

Here are my bargains.

The top two knife "blanks" are made by Toby, some of you may know him from British Blades. He's a very meticulous knife maker who lives about 15 miles from where I'm sat right now. I met him purely by chance 4 years ago before I even discovered BCUK and we've become mates now. I went to see him today and as payment for a job I helped him out on last year he gave me these two blanks. All heat treated and ready for cleaning and a sharpen up. HERE'S HIS WEBSITE in case you want to look at the finished article. There's no way I can even hope to achieve the standard of finish he attains with his knives, but at least I can have a play and hope to be in the ballpark somehow.

The knife and the sheath below the blanks is from our very own HillBill. Let's just say that Karma played a very big part in how I came to own this and I was gob-smacked when it happened. Thank you, Mark. It's a user for sure, hence the state of the sheath. :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE