Your #1 Best 'Get Fit' Tip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So random as you like , everyone here may have had a journey or experience related to gaining fitness , weight management , physique recomp etc

Anyone got their #1 ( or more ) tip that they felt helped them considerably? Is so state it , could be training protocol , diet , mindset.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Hello mate

Think I'll chirp in here I I'm a big guy 6ft 4 20 stone

I used to try a lot to lose weight and never really got there but I work in heavy hard manual labour jobs with some lads who have "ideal bodies" full of muscles and ripped but the thing is I can still carry more I and last a lot longer than them

In my personal opinion to many people link being fit and healthy with being slimmer and more toned

The big misconception there is everyone's body is different your body is suited to different things

I guess what I am trying to say mate is don't believe what others tell you is healthy find out for your self

By all means get advice and a little help but every body is built in unique ways

Sorry this was long winded buddy just had a couple mates get very I'll trying to on change them selves to something there body is not meant to be

Wow I just rambled on a lot buddy my bad

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Best tip is get motivated to do it in the first place.

In the past I've managed to get myself in good shape by using body weight exercises and a protein rich diet, and now I'm overweight and podgy, I could probably do with doing it again. But motivation is the thing that holds me back.

There is no shortage of advice on the web about what training programme to follow or what to eat to gain 'lean muscle mass' but what very few advise on is how to take the first steps and maintain the motivation to keep going through the first few weeks when it appears nothing is really happening. That is the bit I dread about starting up again... the first few weeks you notice slight weight loss, a bit of tone in your muscles, but it all seems to happen so slowly it is so easy to just give up.

I was told by a personal trainer that I should set myself fortnightly goals in advance and to be optimistic about what I want to achieve... that way I'm competing against my predictions. Saying that, I'm sat here having just finished a Chinese takeaway and with a glass of rum at the side of me. Knowing and doing are very different things :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'd say try to build in activity to your normal daily routine if you can. In my experience it's very hard to motivate yourself to go to the gym or whatever after you've come in from work, sat down and had a cup of tea etc.

Can you walk to work or the station instead of driving for example? Could you take the stairs instead of the lift? Could you walk up to the shops? That sort of stuff. Maybe then you could think about doing a short routine at home - a few press-up, sit-up, dips using a dining chair etc.

Basically start doing more, commit to doing things a bit differently. Don't go at it like a bull in a china shop though, build up slowly, do little and often and see how far that takes you. You can then think again about where you'd like to go next.

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
As Dark Horse Dave says above - try to get 10,000 steps in a day - pedometer are quite cheap. Look at your portion sizes - they are smaller than you are used to. Eat more fruit and veg. Set a target weight/fitness you want to be and stick at. I found that the Ultimate food value diary app worked really well for me in keeping a log of what I'd eaten. Lastly, getting out and about, walking and on a road bike really, really helped.

Oh yeah, and start, start now - don't procrastinate. Good luck!

quidditys_shore

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Middlesbrough
As others have said, try fitting it into your normal day. For me this was cycling to work instead of a bus. I do it about 40 weeks a year (60 miles a week) & lost 3 stone, gained lean muscle legs (top still a bit flabby though lol) & saving about £800 a year!

I also on & off do some running. Lots of free apps to guide you such as the NHS couch to 5k.
If you prefer to hide away the look at the games consoles you have. Plenty of dancing & fitness games. I like the fight on ps3 as its more a game that just so happens to help you get fit. Plus it has danny trejo as your coach which is cool

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The best money I've ever spent was on a personal trainer. Even if it is only 3 or 4 sessions, you will learn what excercises to do and how to eat to reach your weight and fitness goals. The cost is not all that much to set you up on the right track.

I hogjly recomment downloading the 'my fitness pal' calorie counter app (developed by under armour) if you have a smartphone - it is amazing for nutrition.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For several medical reasons, my legs don't work as well as they once did. I do try to keep shuffling around.
Took up serious wood carving some 15-20 years ago. I am really enjoying the renewed upper body strength and endurance.

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
Use the buddy system. Working out regularly with someone helps with motivation. The thought of letting someone down will get you out when you really don't want to go.

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Parkrun. Simple. Brilliant idea, it, amongst other things, motivated me to start running again after a gap of nearly ten years.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In my personal opinion to many people link being fit and healthy with being slimmer and more toned

The big misconception there is everyone's body is different your body is suited to different things

This Plus 1000%

Not everyone can get ripped (When I was young I spent a lot of time in the gym trying to do this, had trainer - was v strong and skinny but never could build large muscles).
Not everyone can get skinny. Not everyone should be.
I have a lot of friends who are seriously into long-distance cycling. One of them is a short, wide, inclined-to-fat woman - I've ridden with her, she can spin away 150 miles then decide to put the hammer down and grind me into dust, anytime, even when I was really fit. She's just a riding machine.

Best tip, if you want to get fitter, is to start by appreciating what you are now. Ditch the negative crap.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
For weight management (eithr on or off) = Diet, diet, diet. not necessarily low calorie, just an appropriate food intake for what ever your goal is.
For fitness = Cardio exercise
For strength = Weights. I like the 5x5 program, google it. It works.

Or a combo of the above to suit your goals. I know over weight people who are really fit and can run 10 miles, they exercise lots but their diet is crap. I know slim people who eat clean but can't run 1 mile as they don't exercise. It's all a balance.

And get a training partner who has the same goal. It's invaluable to have someone to keep you honest and who goes through it all with you.

James

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My sarcastic answer is, and as in my case dont get a illness were you are physically unable to exercise anymore. Drives me insane. Ps ignore font size im unable to make it smaller.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE