Your #1 Best 'Get Fit' Tip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Burn more calories than you consume. Use a website like www.myfitnesspal.com to get an idea of what calories you are consuming and make sure you re consuming a bit less than you are burning. Do the 10,000 steps a day (as others have said) by walking (part of the way) to/from work etc., or walking in the evening. Reduce consumption of bread, potatoes, pasta and rice, and eat more greens and fruit. Snack on fruit and/or veg sticks. Do some gentle body-weight exercises every day to improve muscle tone and suppleness. How I wish I could follow my own advice ..... :(

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Tee Dee,

#1 Get Fit For..............Tip?

Interesting that no one has directly picked up on this.

I assume that you might be referring to a basic level of everyday fitness? But what is the basic level of everyday fitness?

Has anyone for instance ever seen a national/government guide-line on what is a basic level of everyday fitness for the general public?
i.e. each (able bodied) person should be able to run x miles; lift x kilos; swim x metres.

I personally haven't (is it possible for there to be one?) but consider, there is at least one (indirect) 'guide' re fitness in the workplace i.e. safe lifting/carrying of loads - 25kg close to the body; not > 5kg above the head etc.

I have experienced a set, basic level of fitness requirement in two organisations that I have been employed in. (The 2 x 1.5 mile run, the 10 mile ‘bash’ and the 1.5 mile (clothed) swim - but then beyond that ‘basic’ fitness level there was a requirement for 'fit(ness)-for-role where the type of fitness trained for was directly relate-able to what the job entailed.

As we are on the BCUK forum - what would anyone suggest is the basic level of fitness required for example to hump 3 days BC kit out into the sticks and back and the #1 Get Fit Tip for that?
(Anyone gonna set the level…?:))

To add to Cumbrianlad’s observations I have worked with a stripped down racing snake who could run the 1.5 miler in boots and denims in 8.5 minutes but couldn’t lift his corner of the 400lb bridging panel above his head when required to do so causing the other three ‘lards’ to carry him!

The answer to your question might be –

‘everything in moderation’ – food; running; weights; swimming; beer drinking;

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm a big lad 6'4" and at the moment 21 stone, at my heaviest I wasn't that far from 25 stone.
I'm currently not able to get as much exercise as I would like, but I'm still losing it slowly but surely..

My top tips.
1. don't mistake thirst for hunger. Whenever I'm hungry I drink a pint of cold water and wait 20 mins. If I'm still hungry I eat. I also always drink a pint of water before I eat a meal and take sips while I'm eating. You'll quickly notice that your portion sizes go down, you'll feel fuller generally be less hungry, energy levels will also improve etc good for the skin and the kidneys.
2. don't eat while distracted. Whenever I eat I sit down with no TV, radio, computer etc. just me and my food. I concentrate on chewing, the taste and texture. I make sure I don't snack while distracted. it's very easy to eat just because something its there. don't do it.
3. don't get faddy. I eat whatever I like. Obviously I'm conscious and try to avoid certain things but if I really fancy that bacon sandwich I'll have it (though I'd grill the bacon and make sure there was Lettuce and tomato in the sandwich too.) It's no good trying to avoid your favourite things you'll just crave them and then give up.
4. try to cook what you eat from scratch. I try to cook from scratch it takes longer but I find that I'm far less prone to eating something quick and bad for me. plus there is an awful lot of hidden fat and sugar in processed food. plus it makes food/eating more special and less mechanical.
5. attach no guilt at all to what you eat. it doesn't matter if you eat that whole chocolate cake. especially if you've been good for a few days. it's not all or nothing. every time you think about what you're eating you're making a difference. obviously be aware but don't let eating a chocolate bar get you down or sway you. it has to be a lifestyle change not giving stuff up. generally eating healthily is doable and easier than you think. quitting treats altogether is gonna be impossible.
6. don't buy things you want to avoid during your weekly shop. If you really want those crisps or cake or whatever then by all means have them but you have to go and get them, not having something immediately to hand makes avoiding it much easier.

7. exercise. when I can I go for a brisk walk. even 5 mins is better than 0 mins. I live near a park and do a few circuits of the park, start off slow and again don't force it but the more you do the more you'll want to.

finally best of luck, don't treat anyone elses rules as infallible, don't get too fixated on goals or put too much pressure on, just know that just thinking about it will inevitably mean that you'll be healthier tomorrow than yesterday. eventually it'll happen.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you can find some sort of exercise that you enjoy, it makes it much easier to burn off calories.

Very true, I did love tree work, but it's taken its toll.

I love walking my dogs around here, I live in such a nice place. I'm by no means at a decent level of fitness cos I've been on my backside for a couple of years due to hip ops. But, I can walk my dogs fairly vigorously now, and do it every day. There's a small, but unused pool at a local hotel, so I go and swim too. It's going to take a lot of work to knock off two years of gut, but every little helps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE