you may be interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
The way things are at the moment better off out of it than where i am, (sorry a bit of a rant time). Its good to know things like this can still be done good on them i say

Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
wow that is quite inspiring, makes me think if I could ever bring myself to just drop all my modern comforts and do something like that, I lived outside for 2 weeks in the summer and thought that was difficult, I can't imagine doing it for 4 years!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Wicked idea, tough to do in this country though we are never more that a stones throw away from someone else lol

Shows also how massive a difference having just one person with you can make, instead of doing it alone like Ed Wardle?

Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmm. Nice idea, but, without wanting to sound cynical, there are a whoile raft of things in that story that don't add up to me.

country boy

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2005
cornwall/devon border
British Red I agree some things are a bit hart to belive the no soap then the bear turns up so a supply of fat lets make soap but it was the idea behind the story that got me to think such things could still be possable

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
what else do you think doesn't add up Red?

Well now, they reckon it was a three day trip to the site laden and two days unladen, so lets call it a five day round trip. They say it took "over a week" to carry there supplies in. Well now, given it wasn't "over a fortnight", thats no more than three trips in (9 days) and two return trips (4 days) for a thirteen day total. In three trips, this couple carried in a supply of dried food sufficient to get a crop in. Now a really basic man year of food of the type listed (rice, beans, pulses) weighs in at over 250kg. If it took them six months to get a crop in, they must have carried in 250kg of food alone. Add to that

seeds for planting, lighters, utensils and tools for building, gardening, repairing, cooking, sewing supplies, fabric, plastic sheeting and tarps, lots of rope, extra shoes, boots, clothing, blankets, first-aid kit, coats, hunting rifle with extra ammunition, fishing net and pole, toiletries, cookware, dinnerware, oil, salt, spices, paper pencils, and the communications and radio equipment my family gave us, plus the solar powered battery charger.

I can't figure that to less than a 400kg total.

So these people were packing in 120+ lb packs over mountain passes. Repeatedly. Including the tools to build a multi room house, greenhouse, lined cellars etc. They did all this without re-supply. This means they must have been preserving food, without the needed amounts of salt, vinegar, pressure canning or the benefit of refrigerationon
They were then entirely self sufficient in all foodstuffs for over three years (no jars remember, no freezer, nothing).

I assume they must have had a pH meter to measure the alkalinity of the lye they created from hardwood ash to saponify the bear fat...now for soap molds they musts have.... oh come on!

Doesn't make any kind of sense to me. Even "real" pioneers needed a wagon load of kit. A little research on the "ton of goods" needed shows even that was for a limited time.

Red

Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Wow, never thought about it that intently...do you think it's all completely made up? or just some parts exaggerated/small white lies here and there?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No idea. I simply don't believe though that a couple can plan such a trip for a year, with no previous experience and then live for four years, with no re-supply at all using only what they could carry on their backs in three trips on foot. Call me cynical, but these aren't people with twenty years experience of expeditions and wild food gathering etc., nor did they have a couple of years supply of food - which would have weighed in at over a ton for the blandest of diets.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Hmmm. Nice idea, but, without wanting to sound cynical, there are a whoile raft of things in that story that don't add up to me.

My thoughts exactly.There's definitely something not quite right with the whole story.
It's a lot harder than most people would think to just disappear.No matter how remote the area is,there's always locals that know when someone new is about.Rumours,being sighted,leaving a track-these things alert locals.
It's actually much easier to hide out or remain 100% anonymous in a city.You can hide out in the bush with little chance of anyone finding you or knowing about you,but only if you're always on the move,leaving little trace.A permanent type camp doesn't stay hidden for long.
And as Red said,you'd need a LOT to live for an extended time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE