You have a knife, 1 quart metal canteen and 50 foot of paracord. Sustain life.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
having tried a minimal night out with basicly "no" food, i would die for sure after some time......
bow drill and 1 metre of the cord for fire.....;)

water is no problem, streams rivers and the odd puddle, filter through grass and boil..

shelter is easy with a knife, lean to open front untill i could forge an axe for cutting trees down...;)

clothes from rabbit skin or what ever animal i killed to eat, cats dogs or what ever is around...food is food after all....

food would be hard without the clothes first, you need to be warm and protected it you get no food......snares would be done with the the para cord, id opt for a self trigger (press down action), when that happens a bent round (under pressure) pole shoots out with sharpened steaks with barbs on it, they stick into the animal and hopefully stay in due to the barbs, this saves time and effort tracking..... id also spear fish and make a bow with time.....

food stocks would be built up in summer months, to help slow the starvation during the winter (which would happen)

of course all very easy sitting here on my laptop talking about it..........

BUT!!!!!!

regards...

chris.

Jun 16, 2011
England.
It's a shame to see that most people here don't appreciate that there are plenty of situations you can find yourself in having never imagined you could be in that position. I would say most people in emergency situations have felt that it would never or could never happen to them.

Yes it's unlikely, but to say it's impossible is pretty contradictive considering the preperation mind set of most people that frequent these boards. A lot of people prepare for things that will most probably never happen to them, this is just another of those situations. I was just hoping to get some good discussion and exchanging of ideas and maybe even experiences.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It's a shame to see that most people here don't appreciate that there are plenty of situations you can find yourself in having never imagined you could be in that position. I would say most people in emergency situations have felt that it would never or could never happen to them.

Yes it's unlikely, but to say it's impossible is pretty contradictive considering the preperation mind set of most people that frequent these boards. A lot of people prepare for things that will most probably never happen to them, this is just another of those situations. I was just hoping to get some good discussion and exchanging of ideas and maybe even experiences.

To be fair you have had some good responses..

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Well, I would dress myself nicely in the clean clothes and pants, then throw the paracord over a high branch and hang myself in the realisation I only had myself for company. For I am a grumpy, middle aged old-git, and the thought of not being able to drive others to the brink of suicide with my miserable pessimistic outlook would be too much for me.

Or, I would survive by eating rabbits, which I would catch by laying under a hedge and attract them by making a noise like a carrot.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
... also notice how 50 cent wears the peak at a jaunty angle rather than directly over his eyes... I think this is fashion but might also help with popping a cap in someones bottom...

Get rich or die tryin...

:lmao::lmao:I laughed until tears came to my eyes reading this, John!:lmao::lmao: :You_Rock_

True Story: At yesterday's IDPA action pistol match I had a similar moment with my hat. Stage four's course of fire required the shooter to engage two targets at seven yards while moving towards a barrier. Upon arriving at the barrier the shooter was required to go prone and engage four targets at an additional 15 yards from the prone. So to tie this to the above post, when I went prone to engage the four 15 yard targets my baseball hat peak / bill obscured my ability to aquire a proper sight picture on said targets. So I quickly reached up and adjusted my peak / bill about 20 degrees to the right to effect the sight picture. After completion of the stage and being cleared by the safety officer, I returned to my range bag where my wife was prepping to shoot the stage. She looked at me and asked "what is with the gangster look"? I just laughed and quickly straightened my hat, then looked around at my fellow shooters to see who was looking at me. :D

Gordy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

See my earlier post. You gave an incredibly unrealistic scenario.
In the costume you described one would look for rescue here, not to settle down and set up some rustic retreat.
Indeed in the costume you describe less than a handful of people on here would go out the door :rolleyes:

That's why we've taken it ill out and less than seriously.

As to the rest.....you've provided a knife and paracord and our local environments, so life's easy enough....and did you mean a pot or a waterbottle ? Your terminology isn't British, it's confusing. Canteen is for cutlery tbh :)

Toddy

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

Shame on who us or you? Do a search most of the guys who realy know their stuff have spent more than enough time telling us how they have/would do stuff. I suggest you do a bit of reseach before complaining your rather lame/unrealistic senario hasn't recieved more than the average parlimentarian debate.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So to tie this to the above post, when I went prone to engage the four 15 yard targets my baseball hat peak / bill obscured my ability to aquire a proper sight picture on said targets.

Aaaah but you went rifle prone. Had you gone left side roll over prone, you could have tilted your head back more ...or so I found in IPSC recently when I had my mountain cap on! :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Some of us here take preparing for unlikely situations very very seriously and invest not only money, but also time in doing so.

Your scenario though could only really happen if you were in as remote a spot in the UK as you could find, had some sort of mental breakdown and set off with the kit/clothes you listed. If you wanted answers to questions on trapping, snaring, wild food, fire lighting etc then ask the relevant questions after you have invested some of your time searching this forum where there are literally thousands of Q&A threads for you to read and learn from.

My pet hate is people coming to the forum and just asking a question without doing any sort of on site research and expecting instant answers from people who have been here a while, have spent time outdoors, have amassed skills.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ohh, we're on to pet hates, yep, some thread drift going on.

Rik, one of my pet hates is members lecturing other members and basically being ignorant and rude, especially when they do it again and again.........and again........ad infinitum. I was trying to think of something like 'think before you drink' but for posting on the forum.... all i've come up with it 'Pause before you post' :D stop doing it from now on, be nice, helpful and constructive and all will be well.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Yep: Very educational. We have learned that Toddy could survive, but not in beige. Red & Gordon are shooting nerds who wear peaked headgear. 50 cent is not the price of baseball caps. You can kill a moose with a piece of paracord. Maggot needs a hug, and Rik is still Rik.

Welcome to the one and only totally unique (if not always totally serious) BCUK!
:bigok:

Z

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ohh, we're on to pet hates, yep, some thread drift going on.

Rik, one of my pet hates is members lecturing other members and basically being ignorant and rude, especially when they do it again and again.........and again........ad infinitum. I was trying to think of something like 'think before you drink' but for posting on the forum.... all i've come up with it 'Pause before you post' :D stop doing it from now on, be nice, helpful and constructive and all will be well.

I was being constructive Tony, sorry I tend to speak my mind. as to 'Think before you drink' I really hope that was not a hint that I drink before I post; I don't. Its not just me who thinks this way although I'm perhaps the most vocal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE