You have a knife, 1 quart metal canteen and 50 foot of paracord. Sustain life.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2011
England.
Is that one of those huge brimmed affairs that the young folk are wearing? I'd rather rip up the t-shirt and turn it into a bandana thanks. Shorts I don't mind, a bit chilly at night and the ticks can be a pain though.

Lots of rivers around these parts so I'd dismantle the paracord and construct a gill net, I'd probably catch a few before the rangers arrested me for illegal fishing, which would then provide a shelter and four square meals a day, probably for the next six months or so.

:)

Edited to add:

What is a Kakadu?

No, not one of those 50 Cent hats :p Let's just assume it's a baseball cap you got from a supplier. A basic and bland baseball cap with a small manufacturers logo.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Hasn't it being proved that it is impossible for a solitary individual in a cool climate to survive, because you consume more calories obtaining food and keeping warm than you can possibly get from the food you obtain? Survival is only feasible in groups. Of course for a short time you would be ok.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hasn't it being proved that it is impossible for a solitary individual in a cool climate to survive, because you consume more calories obtaining food and keeping warm than you can possibly get from the food you obtain? Survival is only feasible in groups. Of course for a short time you would be ok.

Interesting - not sure if that's the case if you lived on the coast. There's way more food available to your beachcomber with very little effort.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not if one is allergic to fish :sigh:

No shortage of foragable food around here, but the clothing doesn't come easily. Even a grass cape takes a fair while to make.

What's a 50 cent hat ?

cheers,
Toddy

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not if one is allergic to fish :sigh:

No shortage of foragable food around here, but the clothing doesn't come easily. Even a grass cape takes a fair while to make.

What's a 50 cent hat ?

cheers,
Toddy

Hmm, a birch bark suit of armour? He means "fiddy cent" - any the wiser? It aint half the price of a one dollar hat that's for sure.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
What's a 50 cent hat ?

5114BQECgVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or in A more Bushcrafty colour scheme...

50_cent2008-headshot-camouflage-cap-med.jpg

A distinctly different style than...

Tactical_Assault_Gear_tag_warrior_hat.jpg

Which is similar to the one were pretending we've got..

Note 'ours' has the peak curved... Where as 50 cents has a totally flat peak... also notice how 50 cent wears the peak at a jaunty angle rather than directly over his eyes... I think this is fashion but might also help with popping a cap in someones bottom...

Get rich or die tryin...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

I guess it depends on the equipment and support the individual has or gets...

Richard Pronneke 'survived' for a reasonably long time 'alone'. But he didn't start off with a minimal 'fantasy' kit list..

forestwalker

how'd you catch a moose with a knife some paracord and a canteen :D

A *big* snare... Well, actually I would rig self-sets; basically a "crossbow" that is triggered by a tripline. I would then -- hopefully! -- track the injured moose until I find where it is, preferably before a bear finds the carcass (the bear will probably go away from it when it smells/hears me, but not for certain). Also a quickie-bow ("flemmish splice" bowstrng from paracord inner threads, bone points for the arrows). The old pit traps for moose that abounds around here are mostly too degraded to be usefull in their current state. With a bit of work though...

forestwalker

What's wrong with the F1? Fallkniven make some of the best knives available. Most people take blades far too big than they need.

I have nothing against the size of the F1, it is the bedge profile I detest. And stainless. Good for issuing to pilots who basically are never going to sharpen it or use it for any form of "crafts". If you want one of "those" knives the shorter sisipukko is a better choice. IMNSHO.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
A *big* snare... Well, actually I would rig self-sets; basically a "crossbow" that is triggered by a tripline. I would then -- hopefully! -- track the injured moose until I find where it is, preferably before a bear finds the carcass (the bear will probably go away from it when it smells/hears me, but not for certain). Also a quickie-bow ("flemmish splice" bowstrng from paracord inner threads, bone points for the arrows). The old pit traps for moose that abounds around here are mostly too degraded to be usefull in their current state. With a bit of work though...

interesting thanks for that - I think the bow option would be the only one I'd consider my trap making skills arn't practiced enough to ensure they function

May 18, 2011
Scotland

I every human in Britain died except you, it would be easy to survive until dying of old age.

Crops would self seed, Domesticated animals would continue to procreate and they are fenced in, Tinned food etc would last a while.

Easily done anywhere in Britain, but if you were out in the middle of the Boreal forest things would be more difficult.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, but in Scotland, unless physically incapacitated ( in the suggested kit, keep moving or freeze :rolleyes:) there's no forest so big you couldn't walk out before you starved.

cheers,
Toddy

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I every human in Britain died except you, it would be easy to survive until dying of old age.

Crops would self seed, Domesticated animals would continue to procreate and they are fenced in, Tinned food etc would last a while.

Easily done anywhere in Britain, but if you were out in the middle of the Boreal forest things would be more difficult.

here we go again - thought we were pasted the TEOTWAWKI threads.....

how the hell is anyone going to be 'the only man left alive'

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

You would probably die from cholera,I'd go and catch a ferry to France then when someone asked what I was doing there, I would say,

I'm drinking wine, eating cheese,
and catching some rays. You know?

Last edited:

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Knife: For this purpose let's say it's a Fallkniven F1. 3.75 inch blade.
Paracord: 550 cord. High performance levels/breaking strain.
Clothes: 1 plain beige T-shirt. 1 pair of plain beige shorts. 1 pair of wool socks. 1 pair of ankle high walking boots. 1 Baseball cap. 1 pair of boxer shorts.

How would you do it? I'm not talking about surviving, when I go into the bush I don't like to survive, I like to live. Naturally there are times where you scrape by, but let's focus on living.

Go into as much detail as possible if you have the time. I think this could be a learning experience for us all.

Some topics you might consider;
Shelter(Also clothing) - What kind?
Water - Gathering/harvesting/what you do with it when you have it?
Fire - How would you make it? How would you prepare a long-term settlement?
Food - How would you go about sourcing your food? What would you do with it then?

If any houses around, ask for food, water and bed; if the answer is negative I know what I need to do with the knife and the paracord.

If alone and without any hope for help coming, I hook myself with the paracord and in the same time stab myself whit the knife, just for double check.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
and ultimately moving to the Isle of Wight?

emoticon-00100-smile.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE