Yorkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I'd definately be up for a Yorkshire meet. The scout camp near me (Silverwood) isn't really up to the usual standard though.

Let me know if you want any help with organinsing etc

Cheers

Rat

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Right I've made some enquiries and the nice big site just off the Wakefield-Denbydale road is not yet finalised so that's out.
The wooley site is very similar to Silverwood so as Matt said probably not up to much (although I think both are ok sites).
There's plenty of other scout sites around Yorkshire which would be suitable depending on dates, attendance figures, and the sort of site, and facilities people are after.
There's another small woodland site right next to the Aire and Calder canal and the river Aire but it's only 4 miles outside of Leeds,but I like it cos I can canoe!!!.
So anybody got any dates in mind they'd like to kick around or dates that are definately out,and any specific sites or places you think might be suitable(paddleable water closeby would be a boon for me) preferably woodland sites for the obligatory hammocks and must allow fires even if they have to be altar fires.
So my suggestion is March at the Hunters-Greave site info here.Mike B & Young-un...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Anywhere near where those crayfish live, that you were telling us about at Delamere last year! It'd be good to meet you again, it's been a while. Silverwood really isn't the place fr us I think, although the surrounding woodland is OK, it is tramped through all day long by dog walkers who don't clear up after themselves and it's by the main road from Barnsley to Manchester, so quite loud.

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Unfortunately nowhere near the monster Crays but wait till late spring when they get some weight back on em n I'll be in touch there's some sizeable Brownies too,it's also a good place for a sneaky bit o hammock slinging but definately not the place to hold a meet.Mike B...
BTW if anybody is interested (when we do gate a date and a venue sorted) in clubbing together for a community meal there's a good chance of me getting a Deer (Roe/Fallow) date dependant or a whole side of Pork. Mike...

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Definitely make some enquiries Mike, there more options we have the better I`d say.

I`ve contacted the scout group for where I usually go and they`ve said it would be fine they just need to run it by the land owner first. I mentioned the other meets on here which happen at various scout sites across the country, I also described the sort of things that we`d be getting up to and they seemed to take it all positively.

I should hopefully get some news soon so I`ll let you know.

Rich

Any news on this Rich?
:)

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Right I've made some enquiries and the nice big site just off the Wakefield-Denbydale road is not yet finalised so that's out.
The wooley site is very similar to Silverwood so as Matt said probably not up to much (although I think both are ok sites).
There's plenty of other scout sites around Yorkshire which would be suitable depending on dates, attendance figures, and the sort of site, and facilities people are after.
There's another small woodland site right next to the Aire and Calder canal and the river Aire but it's only 4 miles outside of Leeds,but I like it cos I can canoe!!!.
So anybody got any dates in mind they'd like to kick around or dates that are definately out,and any specific sites or places you think might be suitable(paddleable water closeby would be a boon for me) preferably woodland sites for the obligatory hammocks and must allow fires even if they have to be altar fires.
So my suggestion is March at the Hunters-Greave site info here.Mike B & Young-un...

Looks interesting Mike... If you're looking at March, I reckon you probably need to steer clear of the last 2 weekends.. The last weekend is the Middlewood meet, and I'd imagine a few people this side of the Pennines might be heading over for it (I know I am). The weekend before that is when the Outdoors Show is on, which again might involve a few people from here visiting..

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
Oops
Cheers Dave for pointing it out, the Middlewood meet is one I'm going to try and make myself and I don't think the boss will be too impressed if I keep taking weekends off.
Also although the site is quiet enough I'm not so sure it's remote/rural enough, but as I said for me it's great cos I can get some canoeing done.
I think we still need to look at some alternatives and come up with a date that's ok for the majority later on in the year perhaps.
I have some contacts for some great sites but the majority of them are well outside of the Yorkshire region.
Seeing as it's still only january there's plenty of time to do some kicking around of ideas so if anybody has any regarding a possible venue or particular weekend please post them.
Mike B...

sas

Dec 8, 2007
yorkshire
I'm in bradford, would definitely be up for a meet. There's two of us, new to this forum stuff so missed the other smaller meets. Sounds good, I'll keep watching this space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE