Yew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 19, 2015
Berkshire
Good evening All

I would really appreciate some advice - I have just bought a table and chairs which is Yew with the intention of sanding and painting it but have been reading lots of posts about it being poisonous:-(

Am I really going to be at risk sanding it down to paint?

It'd heavily varnished as it looks almost mahogany in colour so probably need a lot of work

TIA

Kerry

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
I remember reading a scary but informative post about sensetizing woods (probably on britishblades).

It was a while ago, so I don't recall specifics, but worst case scenario is pretty bad. You can effectively have a serious allergic reaction (even after previous exposures) and even become 'allergic' to other woods that you've been fine with. Thats not to mention god knows whats in all of that old varnish.

Play on the safe side, good mask, eye protection (floating dust sticks to wet bits) and gloves just in case.

Don't forget to post a WIP!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Wear a mask. Might still give you a bit of a headache though. It does me.

Yew, darkens with age, going from an almost orange colour, to a dark honey colour. if you sand it too much, it may look a bit light/bright.

Dont paint the stuff, its one of the nicer woods, its stunning when the grain is enhanced with oil and age

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2015
Berkshire
Thanks Stevie

Happy to do that but I've been reading about people wearing masks with respiratory things attached to them - and I'm just a but paranoid if the mask alone will cut it!

Wondering if it's worth the Agro and worry.... Thanks for replying

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
sleep under yews with yew burning on the fire. ....its interesting.....done it a few times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Thanks Stevie

Happy to do that but I've been reading about people wearing masks with respiratory things attached to them - and I'm just a but paranoid if the mask alone will cut it!

Wondering if it's worth the Agro and worry.... Thanks for replying

Definitely worth it. Do it outside when there is a breeze blowing and you will be fine. Wear a mask as well though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a beautiful wood, truly gorgeous. If getting the old finish off worries you, why not have it tank dipped? Surprisingly affordable. , I suspect when you see the wood you will just seal it, but its yours, do what you like

Oct 19, 2015
Berkshire
Wear a mask. Might still give you a bit of a headache though. It does me.

Yew, darkens with age, going from an almost orange colour, to a dark honey colour. if you sand it too much, it may look a bit light/bright.

Dont paint the stuff, its one of the nicer woods, its stunning when the grain is enhanced with oil and age

Thanks - I'm not going to buy it now - like you say it's a beautiful table as it is just not my colour choice as I don't like darker woods so hopefully someone will take it in its current state I'm gutted as it was a friends mums table and beautiful style I was looking forward to the project but I can't risk it with health implications and would have been doing it in my garage so too enclosed- glad I researched though as I would have been there with electric sander and no mask! Thanks for all comments

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE