Chicken of the woods on a Yew

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
So everyone says not to pick CoW from a Yew because of the risk of transfer of the very poisonous Taxines from tree to fungi. And frankly I am not about to take a gamble, especially as I've already had a few heart attacks!

Now I have several books on fungi and one go to book called Edible Mushrooms. This week I've been looking everywhere for the stuff but it remains elusive!

So reading up on it, in particular making sure I was looking at thee right trees i saw the following in the book.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
b9e23de3fe9fcfdfe6704dd8062aad1f.jpg
1cbccb6d068c2a1eeb4dd717965e929d.jpg
1efec7e2afe7576f8b911e2528e4c9b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I eat Yew arials, but I'm careful about the inner seed.
I use Yew wood, but I'm careful not to breath in the sawdust, and I wash my hands when I'm done.
I use Yew leaves as a natural dye, but I dispose of the dye bath with great care and I scrub everything I use, and scour the wool too.
I have a beautiful Yew quaich, that has been well used over the years with no ill effects.

Would I eat CotW growing on a Yew tree ?
No, I wouldn't.
I'm just not hungry enough to want to attempt it. Especially since if it's growing on one tree in the area it's bound to be on others.....that I don't need to be so careful with.

My tuppence ha'penny worth :)

M

Reactions: plastic-ninja

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I’m with Toddy. It’s not an experiment I find worth doing.

As for finding them, the trees I find them most prevalent on are sweet chestnut.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The nice big crop I found a couple of weeks ago (now, sadly, demolished by sheep) was on an old wild cherry :)

I would not try it from a Yew however despite my respect for Geoff. I'm not sure of the legal aspect of experimenting on guests with a 'probable' toxic substance though :)

Reactions: Toddy

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Quite a few years ago I was in a TV cooking competition and foraged COTW was our starter, just shallow fried in wild garlic butter and then served on a nice focaccia to soak up the juices.
I was banned from using it because the judge, Lloyd Grossman, had never eaten it before & his manager had seen the 10% reaction figure quoted above!
One of the production assistants was sent to Waitrose to forage some wild mushrooms & returned with Matsutake, Shiitake and Shimeiji mushrooms. Awesome foraging skills Charlotte!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE