Yew Dust

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I know that Yew is a bit toxic but can anyone advise on the dust of said wood ?

I was modding the scales of a bushie of mine today and quite forgot about what they were!

So, in self medicating mode,i've had a few beers and still feel ok....:sulkoff:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Probably be ok, mate!! Of course some wood dust ain't too good for anyone and it is best to do it (the sanding) outside and/or wear a mask, but I shouldn't think any harm will come of it. Mind you, as a punishment, and to save you from yourself doing it again, you must now send that knife to me for safe disposal of the offending wood........

By the way, are your ears still the same shape as usual?? :naughty:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Probably be ok, mate!! Of course some wood dust ain't too good for anyone and it is best to do it (the sanding) outside and/or wear a mask, but I shouldn't think any harm will come of it. Mind you, as a punishment, and to save you from yourself doing it again, you must now send that knife to me for safe disposal of the offending wood........

By the way, are your ears still the same shape as usual?? :naughty:

Yep..green 'n' hairy...no change there..:)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
All hard wood dust is carcenogenic if inhaled, I was on a COSHH course many moons ago and the Safety engineer from work came out with some facts and figures, that stuck in my mind, mind you isnt everything these days :twak:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh yes ! I frequently find myself astonished that I've reached the age I have considering all the Health & Safety guidlelines I've crossed over the years. :rolleyes: :D

We eat wild food, drink the wild waters, clamber over muddy banks, wipe our hands on our clothes and still eat lunch :eek: We handle timber, plants, rocks, animals, and open fires, we make things, we get calouses and we get cuts that heal and busy immume systems, a few heartstopping moments when the scree slope slips away underfoot :eek: or the water gets a bit hairy when out in a boat :D :D But we're 'alive' not cocooned in plastic bubblewrap to live some sterilised existance until we're incapable of doing anything but living zombiefied with tubes in every orifice.

Sorry, that'll be the day's rant over then ;) :)

cheers,
Toddy

P.S. This isn't a rant against health and safety, especially when it concerns other folks, I just get tired of almost having to justify doing things that H&S,( or maybe it's other people's percerption of it), claim is really risky and dangerous.
M

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
:notworthy Three cheers for Toddy!!!:You_Rock_ Absolutely agree with you Toddy. Yes of course, you need to be sensible and look after yourself. Dust can be carcinogenic, yes, so are a lot of other things, smoking, fumes from cars, the air we breath, probably, with the all the gunge we humans pump out.

Personal responsibility & common sense seems to have been taken over "laws" and "regulations". I want to decide for myself what is a risk. I don't want sets of rules to do the thinking for me. It's all too easy to become almost paralysed by fear of taking even a minor risk.

And sanding a bit of Yew is pretty much a minor risk down the bottom of the scale for me. Now If I was sanding a whole Yew tree, that would be a different matter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE