Yew Berries.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Hi all.
I am sure I have heard somewhere that you can eat yew berries as long as you spit the seed in the middle out. Can anybody confirm or deny this? If it is the case, has anyone tried it? what do they taste like? I know the leaves/wood are seriously poisenous.
Thanks.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I tried them last year...They are quite glutinous and sweet and not at all unpleasent.

Just to confirm, yes you need to spit the seed out, do not even crunch on it, and all other parts of the tree are poisonous...

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I have tasted Yew berries they are really sweet and a bit....I don't know if slimey is the right word, but what the......Slimey!

Good eating but with every berry yew (ha...ha) try, ya cant help thinking should I be eating these when the rest of the tree is so toxic.

Still here so I guess the're Ok:eek:

BUT WITH ALL PLANTS AND BERRIES IF YOU CANT GIVE A POSITIVE I,D THEN LEAVE IT;)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Ive tried them & theyre OK
BTW the seeds are not like 'instantly fatal' - 'one taste and you drop in your tracks' or anything like it!. They are toxic but not virulent so dont hyperventilate if you accidently crunch the seed just spit it out, no drama. You need to ingest a fair dose to do any real harm. These things always get overstated, like eating Wood Sorrel, you need to eat several good handfuls before an even mildly upset stomach will occour.
Enjoy

Nick

PS its easy although a bit messy to scoop the seeds with a fingernail before eating - If youre concerned at all.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Bar damsons they're the closest thing to fruit that I ever seem to come across. Well tasty.

Not sure how long the season is, each tree seems to fruit in it's own time. Last year there were nibbles on some at the start of december and others at the start of february.:confused:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
just to be lazy i'll copy this from the previous thread:

As has been said, it is edible but it’s best not to unless you have to as there’s a few horror stories about.

Now the last time there was discussion on this I got it in the neck from a few people for not just categorically stating that no one should eat them, I think that stance is wrong. So all I’ll say is that if anyone does eat them it’s on your head, there is a chance, although very slim, that you will die. People have been eating them for years with no ill affect but every now and then someone comes unstuck.

They are edible, they taste fine, just be careful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE