(yet another) Ray Mears kit envy thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
So I thought I had overcome my urge to buy the latest gear touted by presenters with copious budgets. But in the current series of Wild Britian, Ray Mears has a rather nice lichen on rock camouflage hide which I'm a little envious of.

Its in this episode about 22 mins in (which you can watch if you have a free ITVPlayer account):
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/wild-britain-with-ray-mears/series-3/episode-5

I just cant find this product or even this camouflage anywhere for sale, the closest I can find is a reference to a US Patent: http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US6811835

- Does anyone recognise this, know who makes it or where to get it?

Below are a couple of screen shots:
Ea71xZl.jpg

Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
Wow, thanks for the quick reply and for moving my post to the right place :)

Now trust me to have expensive taste too, although it does look like a very versatile bit of kit.

Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
Thanks Chas,
Thats the kind of thing I had assumed it was, but I was struck by how effective that particular camo pattern was in the rocky landscape, somewhere that can be hard to find decent cover.

Could anyone whos handled a 'Jerven original' tell me how stiff the fabric is, im hoping it is quite starchy so doesnt flap in the wind too much?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks Chas,
Thats the kind of thing I had assumed it was, but I was struck by how effective that particular camo pattern was in the rocky landscape, somewhere that can be hard to find decent cover.

Could anyone whos handled a 'Jerven original' tell me how stiff the fabric is, im hoping it is quite starchy so doesnt flap in the wind too much?

I've got the thermo kingsize version and it's actually quite supple.

As far as I know all versions use the same material.

Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
I was assuming the thermo lining would add some weight to the material which would probably be a good thing. I am on a budget so was looking at the unlined version, but, I am envisioning a situation where, although nicely hunkered down and comfortable, if the material if flapping like a kite in a gale its going to give you away a bit?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There all made from the same outer material but the inner insulated lining is available in different weights.
I used mine around 3/4 times and found i didnt like it. I woke on two occasions to find my sleeping bag was wet.
The material used isnt breathable and my body heat created moisture which became trapped on the inside in turn weting my bag.
They are a really nice well made piece of kit but before splashing out your £250, just think if you really need one.
The material is available to buy if you just wanted to make a hide and could always use a light weight bag inside for warmth.

Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
I have been reading up for the last hour or so and have come to a similar conclusion. I already have a handful of bags for different seasons, and dont think the thermo option will replace any one of them. It is the hide material im interested in. I have scoured Fjellduken.no for the material on a roll or a cheap option but can only find 10cm x 12cm repair patches or the Fjellduken Original unlined version - which seems to be the closest option. Do I need to contact them directly for the material?

Jan 27, 2013
Mendip
Many thanks, ive just ordered 3 sheets of the Fjellkamu @ 1m x 1.5m for just <£50 inc. postage, and will try and make a poncho hide. Of course once you factor in seam tape and zips etc the 'Original' is a fair deal, but Ill enjoy the challenge to make something to equal their bag but customised to me.

May 23, 2012
Highlands
As stated,
Its a fjellduken. They come in fjell l & skog camos

They have different linings - thermal. Light, aluminium, etc ......

Best used for real cold/wet times !!! & they can be heavy :(

I use an Austrian reversible Zeltbahn !! Looks a bit odd but keeps off sharp thorns & rain & bugs :)

Waterproofed with fabsil & a bit of fjellraven wax & rolls up small - so is lighter than the fjellduken :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE