yet another bivvy thread. advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beech

Jun 23, 2015
surrey
Hello,
I currently have the snug pack strat hooped model
Pros:
Light
Packs small
Spacious
Cons-
Terrible condensation even when vented
Fabric thin and doesn't fill me with confidence

I use it often to doss in without a tarp which is why I appriciate the hooped construction as it keeps me fully enclosed while ventilated , however I've never used it in torrential rain and I'm not entirely convinced it would stand up to the job if I ended up pitched in a puddle that wasn't there when I set up.
As i'm away in December (uk) and will be using down bag (also with tarp) which i dont want soaking I'm after some recommendations

So I'm looking for a bivvy that is:
Known to be good at keeping condensation to a minimum
Sturdy but not necessarily as bomb proof as US mms biv
Packs relatively small but weight not so much an issue
Hoops a plus but not essential
Capeable of sitting In a puddle and keeping me dry
Green or black
Could be used as stand alone without tarp in a down pour if needed and still keep my bag dry
I'm 5.4 and slim(ish)
Budget 350

Cheers :)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I can heartedly recommend either the British army issue bag or the Alpkit Hunka XL. Both have really good breathibility, are light, and durable.

It is worth noting that the performance of a bivvi bag is as much about how you use it as the spec sheet. You need some air flow over the outside of the bag. A gentle breeze is ideal. A temperature difference between the inside and outside (warmer in, colder out), is also needed. And then above all, Don't breathe into the bag.

Having said all that, I've just noticed you have a budget of £350. In which case, you may want to look at some of the eVent based bivvis, the fabric is much better performing than even goretex.

J

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Look at Oware, or Borah, for a small cottage manufacturer, who will make you a custom size one to fit. Silnylon and momentum 90, or similiar materials. Postage is very cheap from the USA, as they are so light. And the custom work they'll normally do for free.

I have a double Oware quartek, and sil, with mossy mesh, paired with an Exped 12LXW, and a Wiggys rectangular ultra lite hunter sleeping bag, rated 0 degrees[they include a pillow]and its more comfortable than your bed at home.

For substantially below freezing. I use a Wiggys -30 ultima thule with a hood, [and pillow] inside a kingsize jerven bag, on the same exped 12 LXW. Toasty and very very comfy.

Last edited:

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
A friend of mine has bought a Dutch bivi bag recently. He's been trying it out for the last three weeks with the weather getting wetter and the thing really rocks. The ventilation is good and it is definitely sturdy. A con is that it's not the lightest one out there to be honest. Having seen it in action on the other hand, I personally would gladly take the extra weight for what I get in return.

There are some for sale on ebay in a really good condition at the moment - if the pictures don't lie, that is... The price of £88.50 is more than reasonable if the condition is as advertised....

Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dutch-Arm...Bag-With-Hoops-Pegs-Super-Grade-/221777905419

beech

Jun 23, 2015
surrey
Thank you for the advice everyone.
I'm going to have a good look at all the suggestions when I get access to a pc rather than squinting endlessly at this phone screen
Thanks again

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Have a look at the dutch army bivi. Just as bomb proof as the British one and hooped too. About £80 on Ebay

Tonyuk

beech

Jun 23, 2015
surrey
How small does the British issue pack down to? Might just get one of those for this trip if it will fit in my rucksack.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
How small does the British issue pack down to? Might just get one of those for this trip if it will fit in my rucksack.

Depends how much effort you want to put in. It'll go into a PLCE side pocket, or a 13l dry bag without too much faff, but if you want it smaller, you're going to have to put some effort in...

At a guess, twice the size of the Alpkit Hunka XL

J

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I put my army bivi around my sleeping bag then put it in the compression sack - it soon disappears and it's one less thing to pack. Also good as your bag is covered if you have to set up camp in the rain!

beech

Jun 23, 2015
surrey
I put my army bivi around my sleeping bag then put it in the compression sack - it soon disappears and it's one less thing to pack. Also good as your bag is covered if you have to set up camp in the rain!
I do that with my current one too if it looks like rain.
Being a short sod I have a 40l pack so space is a bit of an issue with my gear. Might just buy one and see how I get along with it. cheers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE