Yesterday!!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Charge Of The Light Brigade

by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Memorializing Events in the Battle of Balaclava, October 25, 1854
Written April 10, 1864

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!' he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

'Forward, the Light Brigade!'
Was there a man dismay'd ?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Some one had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre-stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death,
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wonder'd.
Honour the charge they made!
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred!

One historical fact:
Harry"Flashy" Flashman was the hero of the Charge!!!
He said so!!!!!!

But personally, I'd rather be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,A LUMBERJACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I sleep all night and I work all day

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch
I go to the lavatory
On Wednesdays I go shopping
And have buttered scones for tea

I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspenders and a bra
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear Papa ["Mama" in very first version]

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Tennyson says it all.

But can you imagine the bravery it takes for 600 men on horses with sabres to charge a wall of cannons with infantry and cavalry behind them!

Amazing.

The Russians apparently would not face the British cavalry for the rest of the war.

Bill

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You all missed a VERY important date on 21st October, next year will be the 200th anniversary of the greatest Naval victory in history, not to mention the death of one Britains greatest hero's. Lest we forget... a toast to his 'immortal memory'.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Maybe you should put an entry in the calender so that we are all aware when there should be a celebration/remembrance of an event.
This country has a long and noble military history, and adding to it every day with our lads and lassies currently in various foreign arenas.

Lest we forget.

Respect to all our military personnel, past, presenent and future.

Cheers

JFW

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
On that note JFW the 5th of Nov is the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Inkeramnn also part of the Crimean War. Though not as famous as the Charge of the Light Brigade it was a very important battle.

The Charge of the Light Brigade was also the only British military defeat whose participants were still awarded a medal.

Bill

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
JFW said:
This country has a long and noble military history
I have my doubts. Did people want to be part of the empire?
JFW said:
adding to it every day with our lads and lassies currently in various foreign arenas.

Lest we forget.

Respect to all our military personnel, past, presenent and future.

Cheers

JFW
That I agree with, peopel say the gorernment hid the a lot from the public and lied to them. In all the run up to the war in Iraq the closest anyone got to describing what I've seen was "children murderd infront of their parents" George W Bush (the photos were meant to be part of ab boook about what was happening. It wasn't allowed to be published in colour and many of the pictures weren't allowed at all)

I still remeber the Song by Mike harding about christmas 1914
It starts "Christmas eve in 1914 and all along the western front, guns were lying still and quiet." It's a very moving song

leon-1

The British armed forces have a long and glorious tradition of fighting that which would seem to be lost causes, all you need to do is look at Gibraltar, which was laid siege to at least 12 times in 76 years. Here are a couple of bits to do with it.

The Siege of Gibraltar 1704.

On the 31st of October 1704 Captain Fisher of the Marines with 17 of his men successfully defended the Round Tower against 500 French and Spanish volunteer grenadiers.

That was one of the first and quite short, it only lasted 6 months or so. Incidentally the marines back then were not the same as they are today:wink:

The Great Siege Of Gibraltar 1779-1783.

The Great Siege of Gibraltar was an unsuccessful combined French and Spanish siege of the British-held fortress of Gibraltar from 1779 to 1783 during the American War of Independence. The French and Spanish fleets entered the Bay of Gibraltar in June 1779, while attacks were also made by the land approach with extensive siege works. Admiral Sir George Rodney managed to drive off the combined fleets long enough to permit supply ships to reach the harbour in January 1780, and another major re-supply took place in 1781; from time to time small ships managed to run the blockade, but starvation came very close at various times, although a British sortie in November 1781 partially destroyed the siege works threatening the north. Throughout the siege, there were regular artillery exchanges. The final Spanish attack took place in September 1782 with an army of 40,000, aided by the combined French and Spanish fleets. The attack was accompanied by an intense artillery bombardment, to which the defenders replied with red-hot shot, damaging many of the warships and floating batteries. Great losses were inflicted on the attacking force and the siege was finally raised on the 6th of February 1783.

In the Great Siege Of Gibraltar the majority of the forces were made up from the Suffolk Regiment, a Regiment that survives to this day, but under a different name (The Royal Anglian Regiment). :wave:

leon-1

BT, there were a lot of units that were sent out, some actually went back and forth between varying hot spots on the British military agenda, a lot of those units are now covered under one Division (The Queens Division), they train in one location and learn a lot of regimental history and a certain amount that covers the division as well, the regimental day for my old battalion was Quebec day, since they were under command of General Wolfe for a very famous volley :wink:.

We had to learn regimental history so that we could go up through the grading system for private soldiers (the better the grade the better the money), this also meant that we learnt about units that were involved in the same actions as our forebears were. At my familly home I still have loads of stuff to do with the history of units within the division, but one of the reasons that I know about Gibraltar was I was born there so I made a point of learning something about it. :eek:):

leon-1 said:
So are you of Scottish extraction, if so they have a fine military tradition as well and they're legacy will continue to grow as they get involved in more turmoil across the planet :)

One thing that gave me pride, during the liberation of Iraq, was that Tony Blair sent in the 42nd Highland "Blackwatch" regiment.

If britain wants to win a war, the send in THEM in to fight!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE