Yesterday!!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

BIG-TARGET said:
One thing that gave me pride, during the liberation of Iraq, was that Tony Blair sent in the 42nd Highland "Blackwatch" regiment.

If britain wants to win a war, the send in THEM in to fight!!!!

Well the Black Watch are going in again (they're good lads, I have worked with them and the Argyll's), both battalions of my old unit have been in and one has been told they will be going back :).

leon-1 said:
Well the Black Watch are going in again (they're good lads, I have worked with them and the Argyll's), both battalions of my old unit have been in and one has been told they will be going back :).

I got a kick when the Blackwatch CO gave the regiment the green light to remove their helmets and wear their Tams into the townsthey were liberating.

BTW, weren't the Argyll regiment part of the Hong Kong garrison , with the 5th Ghurka rifles????

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Interesting thread. Here Irelands part played in many of htese conflicts fought by Britain had/have large been ignored even to the point were important wars such as Napoleonics were one or two pages at best in our history books. This was for obvious reasons not for this forum.

But since the recent Iraq war the part played there by Irish men and weman this sorry attitude as changed for the better. I think having some sort of reminder would be a good idea.

As a note one of the survives of the charge was give the then local big house Kenure House in my home town Rush. It was a huge building and estate but he didn't keep it for long I believe. When indepence came it was demolished by the new local council except for the huge pillers in the front of the building. A fact now lameted by all as it would have been a huge tourist draw as are many of the smaller estates now run by the council in the local area. Planning is still a problem for them even now.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE