Yellowstone...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Ok ok ok... I know the chances of it erupting in our lifetime are minimal button can anyone else tell me the effects on the uk it may have and what damage it would do to our wildlife?
Im aware that we as humans would not be able to breath the natural air without developing a mortal effect... Ie. lung ruptures, bone growth etc.
but what other things would happen to the uk?
pkind regards
leaf177

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No sunlight getting through, all plant growth dies, perhaps a mini ice age because of it. Depends on the eruption really. If its a super eruption then those things tend to send things to extinction. Not us, the powers that be are prepared for such events, some would get through it.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
there was a program on sky the other day called ten ways to end the world it was excellent super valcano eruption was number 8 after nano weapons and nukes etc much more likely we will ruin the world and not nature:p

thanks Dean

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Planes would probably be grounded for a few weeks ;)

A long winter with severe food producing problems, but with a bit of prethinking places like poly tunnels could be useful so long as they could be kept warm and well lit.

Wouldn't necessarily be an end game or E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event) for humanity.

Such an event could easily happen within our life time, so long as we are young to start with, it probably won't be in my parents life time as they are over their three score and ten already.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Some of that report confirms what I remember from the documentaries. Other bits are at odds. TBH I have no idea which (if either) is accurate. But to be equally honest, if it only destroys that large a portion of North America, it will disrupt most of the world's food chain. And only 6 years worth of nuclear winter (the scenario from your posted link) is more than enough to be an extinction level event.

It also seems unlikely that the first effects would take 3 to 4 days for a super volcano eruption when the much smaller (by comparison) eruption of Krakatoa in the 19th century cause tsunamis half way round the world and the eruption was actually heard over 3000 miles away.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
TBH I have no idea which (if either) is accurate.

Scientists can make all the predictions & computer models they like but when the baby pops, no one can know what it's real effects would be either to the States or the world. One consolation is that past eruptions have dimunued in intensty each time & that no extinction events took place because of them.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If the super caldera blows then you be dead, we all be dead, winter weather 24/7, no crops, no monsoons, you be dead meat.

Happy new year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE