YAFS - Yet another first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Here you go:

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
wow, good work

I was struggling with try to do so dry wood, don't think you could call it seasoned, it was a bit of 2 x 2 pine, and on a meet i was told to sack it off, too hard to carve

tried it with a bit of green wood and SO much easier

have made a few since, the green wood really helps

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As to the green versus seasoned wood argument - green is easier but might split as it dries (if you are very unlucky!) and as long as your blades are sharp seasoned is not impossible to carve...I have made spoons from seasoned oak (Victorian furniture recycled so I mean SEASONED) and Boxwood before now. Slow to work but worth the effort IMHO.
Nice spoon you have and it should mellow in colour as you use it.
John

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i didn't know it was that hard to do it once it was dry. i carved out the spoon ok but left the bowl. when i started the bowl it was rock solid, and given my inexperience with the spoon knife there was more chance to me carving my a digit than the bowl

ganstey

Settler
It wasn't too bad, and I did only cut myself twice - although one of those was when I managed to stab the end of my thumb with the point of the spoon knife:aargh4: I did end up with a very impressive blister from the back of the spoon knife (I must take a file to it sometime).

Graham

ganstey

Settler
Cheers Dougster, I was really chuffed with how it turned out. I had a design in my head, but in the end I just followed what the wood and the grain seemed to want to be. Nature is a much better designer than I am:D

Next time I think I'll try and make one that's a bit daintier. It was fine for my gob, but my friend has a dainty mouth. I think she uses it as a serving spoon ;)

Graham

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
very nice, still lining up to do my first one, a wee stirrer for my brew kit doesn't count.

I had an attempt using holly but that turned out to be probably the hardest wood in my woodpile so it's currently 'seasoning' somewhere in the back corner of my garage, where I threw it :rolleyes:

Beech looks nice, may have a look for some of that, again nice work!

Cheers,

Alan

Nov 9, 2007
That is a great spoon, excellent! ....I never got round to finishing mine! It's been about 2 months since the course so hopefully it will still be as easy to carve as before. I see you went for the thicker neck part of the spoon, wise choice...I saw a few people snapping theirs before completion due to wittling down too thin, such a shame! I have a few chunks of sycamore put a side for carving....Christmas shall be a bit cheaper this year!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice job. I did one in seasoned sweet chestnut which wasn't too bad. As for the cuts, make a leather thimble. Basically, cut out a piece of leather or cardboard about the length of your thumb from the end of the nail to the first knuckle and maybe a few millimetres wider than your thumb. It'll be oval in shape. Then, get a scalpel or sharp blade and cut around the edge, about 2 or 3 millimetres in. Cut half way around the edge of the pad, so that you have a large C shaped cut. Lift the C on the edge up and you can slip your thumb in, with the oval piece on the pad of your thumb. It'll stop you slicing little bits of skin out of your thumb.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
nice one fella really good spoon I've only tried Beech once it is a hard wood. The more you make the better they get, you will find yourself trying different shapes and sizes, and before you know it you will have a kitchen full, my wife goes mad at me because we have more spoons than anything else, hence I've moved on to leather work now, pretty soon I will have more knife sheaths and possibles pouches than spoons, and ear ache from the wife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE