Tilley Hats, Mesh vs Grommets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a nylon medium brim with grommets, (LT5B) in pale "stone" that has been with me for a number of adventures, Sweden, New Zealand, Western USA and the jungle of Brunei. Sadly I did a rather silly thing when dowsing it with Fabsil this passed summer, using a brush which I was slow to realise had been used for brown fence preserver. It now looks a lot dirtier than it ever did after travels.

This was sad, but the hat was still okay, so I wore it to the Moot. There it was seen by my dear mother, who quite took exception to its grubby appearance.:slap: I thought I had placated her and all was well, till Christmas rolled round and she presented me with a Tilley gift card and an instruction to buy myself a clean hat! :lmao:

Having once made the mistake of using parental gift funds for something other than intended...I know I better buy another Tilley hat!

Question is, buy another LT5B, that I have been pretty happy with, or try the mesh topped LTM5 Airflo? Has anyone used both grommets and mesh? Is there any difference in how fast midges reach your head? Is the mesh really noticeably cooler? Leaks faster in rain?

I have looked at all other options and don't really fancy other materials. Undecided about wider brims.

I found the cotton Tilley I had got cold after being rained on for a good while, it also shrank and I eventually sold it on at the Moot. I also have an Akubra for when I want to look more polished:cool3:.

IMG_0411 by Last Scratch, on Flickr NZ

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I’d avoid the mesh. It’sprobably A bit cooler (although I can’t say that from experience) but I agree as you surmised, it’ll probably also admit more rain and UV rays. Both being the very things we wear such a hat to protect us from.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have the sand coloured one with a wide rim and a thin strip of mesh fabric going around the top.
Had it now for several years. Have not noticed much that rain goes through.

I had a thin rim Tilley before, but my face got burned too easy so I threw it away. Not fit for purpose.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Our local go outdoors has a good selection of Tilleys.
not sure it will make a huge difference although logic says the more surface area that is open (mesh vs grommets) will ventilate better and let more rain and midges through.
is it enough of a difference to worry about?
go with the one you like the look of

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know it's a personal view, but 'clothing' is I suppose, but I think the mesh one looks naff :) - something my father-in-law would have worn on the beach!

I take it that Tilley's life-long warranty doesn't cover coating it in creosote? :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I haven't even asked about the warranty. :D I view what I did in the same way as if I had dropped it in a fire while trying to dry it. No one should be liable for user induced bungles other than the bungler themselves.:doh:Maybe I should have used more fence treatment and made it look intentional, and even!

I have heard others say the mesh looks "grandad". Since the old gurbby hat is going to get worn in the bush and the clean one when I am trying to look presentable, maybe father-in-law-mesh is enough to steer me away from that "style".

Mark, good point. I don't know whether the local shop still has Tilley's but they might. Worth looking.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Tilley do make one with the whole top part in mesh.
IMHO it looks like those mesh hats Waitrose gave to the male partners... I think some butchers have them too?

Not sure about the Sun protection of those.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I bought one with the mesh this past summer, rather like it, it's tough, works well, looks fine, just as waterproof and I don't think you're going to expose yourself to any more insects or ultraviolet etc.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I like the way the grommets pick up a bit of verdigris after a while ... that said I hardly ever wear mine, just keeping it for the future day that I might reform

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE