WS closing down, What now for the WS/Woodlore!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I imagine that there will be many custom knifemakers that will step in and knock out something pretty similar if it's economic to do so.

Some of the more adaptable knife users might even get used to them ;)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
ilovemybed said:
I believe that there's a statute saying all military arms must be sourced from within the UK. Someone more military will be able to add more detail? I have heard stories that this is the biggest reason we keep RO Radway Green going rather than outsourcing.
Dunno if that stretches to swords though.

There is a place in Birmingham that makes reg badges etc and swords, I am not even sure that WS where supplying the army at all.

swamp donkey said:
Now I am not a knife person I prefer scissors :eek: . But it seems to me that the growth of high quality knife makers and indeed sword makers is what has done for WS . If you look on this site and sites like it. you see great makers all the time . If you then look in the re enactment field there are a whole bunch of high quality knife and sword makers and even armour makers. So I dont see how WS can compete the market is not that big.
Any way the woodlore is just a knife,one of many. But as I said a pair of tough cut scissors has served me well for the last 20 years. and only cost £2.99 :rolleyes:
Please dont burn me as a heritic :eek:

The re-enactment stuff is different but there are a few people out there making the real deal, Leeds Armories for a start. The problem is that most people import from spain, italy or china i.e. middle to cheap rubbish. Do you sharpen the Tuff cuts because I have heard that they go blunt after 5 or so uses and get binned.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I thought I'd let you know that so far there is still no new company taking over production. Their (very rapid) response was

"Hi Andrew

Thank you for your e-mail.

As you can imagine it is very hard to find a manufacturer that is of the
high standard that we require and as yet we have not found anyone.

Kindest regards

Diana
The Woodlore Team"

PS Hennie Hanyes no longer have the FS knives listed but the Dartmoor remains

Andy said:
I thought I'd let you know that so far there is still no new company taking over production. Their (very rapid) response was

"Hi Andrew

Thank you for your e-mail.

As you can imagine it is very hard to find a manufacturer that is of the
high standard that we require and as yet we have not found anyone.

Kindest regards

Diana
The Woodlore Team"

PS Hennie Hanyes no longer have the FS knives listed but the Dartmoor remains
Strange how their reply to me seemed to imply totally the opposite :confused:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Motorbike Man said:
Strange how their reply to me seemed to imply totally the opposite :confused:

Did you ask them specifically about the WS ones? I know they said they were expecting more AW ones in October....

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
do u think that woodlore may now be re-thinkin continuing the manufacture of these knives (post. wilkinson closure) because of the number and quality of other bladesmiths offering woodlore-type designs?

maybe they cant handle the competition (ie. no longer economically viable)?

i hope they do find somewhere to produce them tho....somewhere in good old blighty!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
scruff said:
do u think that woodlore may now be re-thinkin continuing the manufacture of these knives (post. wilkinson closure) because of the number and quality of other bladesmiths offering woodlore-type designs?

i very much doubt it! there is only a very small number of custom makers doing Woodlore copy cats and they cannot churn them out anywhere near the speed of a production knife company like WS I also do not think these few maker are any kind of threat to woodlore as so many people have no idea of the British knife scene.. i like many others here, before finding BCUK and subsequently BB knew only of the woodlore knife as a knife made just for bushcraft!

i also do not think that WS are closing due to their market being eroded by custom makers, this would be a nice idea but I cant believe it is the case, quality knives are just not recognised in the UK and as such there is little demand! Im told that WS do/did not currently hold the contracts for supplying swords/knives to the military and there appeal to collectors must be significantly reduced because of this, I would have thought this small division of the Wilkinson Sword company has been kept open for a long time more out of tradition than anything else, I cant imagine its been a big money spinner, in this day and age in the UK!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Demand for bushcraft knives, and especially Woodlores seems strong. Woodlore knives, whether from WS or Alan Wood command high prices on ebay. I remember watching in disbelief as a used WS micarta Woodlore sold for more than the new price plus postage from the Woodlore website.

I've not seen any WS Woodlores sold since the news of their closure came in. I suspect the prices may increase markedly. Wilkinson is still a famous name with a lot of history. Wilkinson made Fairbairn Sykes knives from WW2 are extremely valuable, although those recently made for collectors rather less so.

I'm somewhat surprised that Woodlore can't find a maker but I suppose given the WS maple handle fiasco, they are being ultra-careful.

At the end of the day the Wilkinson Woodlores are very fine knives. Yes, people are paying for the name, and there are many cheaper custom knives with more technical steels, and made to your own specs. I have a WS Woodlore Micarta and compared it to many other knives at the last meet. Some of the other knives would be better for canoeng (more rust resistant) or as neck knives (lighter). But for all-round use, there was only one other knife I liked as much as the WS.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Graham's foot-long reindeer-slaughtering Leuku.......no, only kidding (though it is great kit nonetheless....)_

Alan Wood Woodlore. Honestly.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
The re-enactment stuff is different but there are a few people out there making the real deal, Leeds Armories for a start. The problem is that most people import from spain, italy or china i.e. middle to cheap rubbish. Do you sharpen the Tuff cuts because I have heard that they go blunt after 5 or so uses and get binned.[/QUOTE]

Minotaur Sorry that I did not reply sooner , I seem to have misse it :rolleyes:
I dont think re enactment is different there is much overlap . The living history side has pushed the standard up no end lots of excellent makers. The market is also a bigger .
I am sure that you are aware but the two big re enactors market are on the same weekend 28/30 October in the Warwick area . Well worth a visit to buy leather wool fire, steels etc etc etc.. For those of you who have never been and live in the area they are well worth the trip .If I am not working at one I will be making a 400 mile round trip to visit :D One even has full contact sword figthing :eek: to get you in the mood for buying :)

See them here

http://www.reenactorsmarket.co.uk

http://www.livinghistoryfayres.com

As for Tuff cuts there are two types one has normal scissor type blades a can be re sharpened and the others have one of the blades is serated and cannot.
My wife used the same pair on Casualty for over 10 years and they still cut ok.
Once I got over the habit of cutting 1/2 pences or dimes in half :p I got a lot longer duration . :eek: The pair I am using at the moment are at least 5 years old and I use them for something every day. but at £2-£4 each not much to worry about cost wise :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
"quality knives are just not recognised in the UK and as such there is little demand!"

- mores the pitty. i'm sure alot of south yorkshiremen in particular would agree with that, not to mention all those unlucky WS workers.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm sure a knife would sell well if it was stamped:

'Designed by Ray Mears - Made in Sheffield'.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
aye lad!

i'd be buyin one thats for sure....thats if u could prize that hard earned brass outta my tight fisted yorkshire hands!!! :D :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Wilkinson Sword knives no longer listed on Woodlore's website.

I suppose this makes more sense than just listing them as 'no longer available'.

I wonder how many were made?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE