Attention WS woodlore owners, please read...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
IMPORTANT NEWS IF YOU OWN A WS MAPLE WOODLORE...

As many of you know, especially those who have been following the Wilkinson Sword woodlore knife threads both on BritishBlades and here on Bushcraft UK, the maple handled knife has met with a fair bit of criticism. The main point really being that the handle slabs were not sealed properly. On the knife I bought, I rinsed it under the tap and almost immediately it let in moisture and the handle slabs *lifted* away from the tang. Given the nature of the knife, this is a very serious shortcomming.

As the knife was intended as a subject for review and realising the review was going to highlight some significant problems, I contacted Woodlore and invited their response. Rachel replied promtly with a note of concern and an offer of either a replacement blade or a refund. Good stuff. Rachel also told me she was aware of the comments both here and on BritishBlades.

While I was pondering what to do about my knife (I was contemplating putting a new handle on myself), Rachel sent me a further email. I have her permission to repost it here, so I'll let it speak for itself...

Dear Martyn

Further to your email dated 03.01.04 I have taken this issue up with Wilkinson Sword and this has been the response I have received.

------------ message from Wilkinson Sword -------------
Following our conversation regarding a potential problem with the grips on the maple Woodlore knives, I had some testing carried out on some grip scales from that first batch that we still have here. I’m afraid that there does seem to be some inconsistency in the treatment process used on that first batch which would potentially lead to the type of problems you mention. Unfortunately, I cannot determine how many of the maple knives already shipped were affected, therefore my suggestion is that we replace all knives from this first batch free of charge. I would appreciate it if we could get the original knives back after the replacements have been shipped, so that we can carry out some further analysis.
------------/ message from Wilkinson Sword -------------

Wilkinson Sword will be sending out replacement knives to all our clients with in the next two – three weeks and are not asking for the original ones to be returned until your replacements have been received so that no customer is without a knife for any period of time.

We are delighted that Wilkinson Sword believes in the same customer service as Woodlore. Your replacement knife will be with you very shortly.

Kindest regards

Rachel.

Well, what can I say, except well done Rachel and Woodlore, and well done Wilkinson Sword. This is exactly the kind of superb customer service that can restore a mans faith in British commerce. This is exactly the best possible outcome. Wilkinson Sword have ventured into a new area with the woodlore knife, being something of a departure from what they normally do, but have responded promptly and with the best possible faith to early criticisms. A problem was highlighted, they conducted their own testing, substansiated the issue and acted promptly to rectify the situation. Well done Wilkinson Sword and again, well done woodlore.

When asking Rachel for clarity and permission to make this public, this was the response...

This is our normal way of dealing with a complaint if it is brought to our attention directly. We would be very happy for you to post this on your forum. Each client that purchased a Wilkinson Sword knife, Maple Handle through Woodlore prior to 28.11.03 will receive a replacement knife, we would ask for the faulty knife’s to be returned to us as soon as a replacement has been received. This will ensure that no customer is without a knife for any period of time.

Glad to be of service.

Kindest regards

Rachel

:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

This does NOT apply to the micarta knives, as there is absolutely nothing functionally wrong with that knife - it does what it says on the tin. The issue is confined to the improper sealing of the maple handled versions, which could mean a warping of the handle and a failure of the handle to tang seal.

Regards,
Martyn.

Colin KC

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 21, 2003
The Bottom of England
Top skills Boss & a big :ekt: to both Woodlore & Wilkinson Sword, makes me wish I'd bought a cack maple handled knife too, but I only got the far superior lower priced Micarta jobbie :nana: :wink:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All credit to Wilkinson Sword and Woodlore.

Looking forward to receiving my Micarta handled knife soon. One of the attractions is the WS mark: 'the name on the world's finest blades' - I'm glad to see they are prepared to spend money to protect their reputation.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I have to admit that it was me that emailed them about the issues raised on these forums about the knife ... I wanted the problems fixed before I get one :p

Martyn said:
Rachel also told me she was aware of the comments both here and on BritishBlades.

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Those are the types of people you like doing business with. A lot of companies and organizations could learn something about customer service from WS and Woodlore. :biggthump

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
And everyone talked me out of going for a wooden handled WS Woodlore knife because they keep falling apart and warping.

how typical is that!!!

Maybe I'll smuggle my credit card out while Eloise isn't looking. :naughty:

Damn good result by the way, I don't think it's just british companies that could learn from this customer service example but 90% of all companies could!

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE