writing instruments and documentation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Those of you who have a habit of documenting your journeys, training sessions and pastimes, what do you bring with you into the field? Mainly interested in the written word here, otherwise I would have asked in the camera section.

How do you go about documenting your time out? Journal in the field or summing up at arrival home? How much do you consider archival properties of your method?

Kind of weird discussing writing on a primitive outdoors forum, but since there is a dedicated gizmos forum section, this might not be completely out of line.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Well, for me, I tend to document views and timestamp them (as a photographer) ie...date of trip, where I am (on hill xyz facing sse or exact bearing if necessary) description of what I am seeing and whether it would provide a more interesting picture if taken at a different time etc. I always carry a Moleskine notebook and a Staedtler mobile office (grand title, but basically a ball pen, propelling pencil with eraser, fibre tip and highlighter that fit into a neat plastic case).

Occasionally I might be inclined to take along my little watercolour palet with good intentions...but usually end up with the cameras doing all the donkey work...old habits ;)

Cheers

Sack

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I carry and small notepad and pencil but to be honest I don't use it as much as I should, I've also slipped into taking photos of stuff instead these days.

I do write a lot of stuff down on courses though, it's good to be able to read back over stuff that you've covered.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Does this mean that you're going to post of some of your trips then?

When I take notes in meetings, I struggle to read my handwriting anyway, so I just take hundreds of pics when I'm out and use them as memory joggers.

Let me know how your canoe trip went.

Cheers, Michael.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Does this mean that you're going to post of some of your trips then?

When I take notes in meetings, I struggle to read my handwriting anyway, so I just take hundreds of pics when I'm out and use them as memory joggers.

Let me know how your canoe trip went.

Cheers, Michael.

The canoe trip was wet. And cold. :D Thoroughly enjoyed myself though. Struggled to learn the J stroke. Can't say I'm any good, but at least I don't change paddling side every stroke now.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I used to do hydrological monitoring in a local wildlife trust wetland nature reserve, and rapidly discovered that a dictaphone was a lot easier than a pencil and paper when you are struggling through boggy ground. Now is use it whenever I need to record accurate information. Otherwise the camera is my main recorder.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
big_swede, just as an aside, I was recently making space in the attic (an ongoing battle) and came across an old holdall from my uni/MOD days. In it were old notebooks from the coursework but, more interestingly, a few diaries (we're going back 30 years here ;))...very interesting to see how some of my thoughts/perceptions have changed over the years. I wish I had continued to keep a diary. Made a note to make more notes:)

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Molskine notebooks and either pencil (will write when wet) or good old quill, nib and india ink which lasts for near enough ever and I enjoy calligraphy in the evenings. Molskine books are good heavy paper and will take ink and also watercolour - I use water colour pencils and keep a cut down paintbrush and (sorry) spit, you can also press flowers/leaves in them. All stored in a Dangermouse pencil case the kids gave me sealed with jungle tape. I have in the tin: my favorite wooden wand quill, small bottles of ink, blotting paper, blutack (to hold the small bottles down to a bit of wood or some-such), a selection of nibs (left handers cos I'm cack-handed), eraser, sealing wax (yes really!, you can get permanent imprints of bark, shells, even flowers/leaves in sealing wax. Some kitchen towel, to stop things rattling and mop up.
I've even made quills from flight feathers from road-kill or fox salvage! Reeds make half-way decent writing implements but you struggle to get a fine nib from them; so more for poster-work really.

BTW Large Sack, I too have all my old notebooks going back to 1978 and they cover all tours and ops. Some interesting scrawled comments among the P-checks and V-checks.... I still use notebooks and have them all filed away (not as sad as I thought then eh?)......

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
LOL ....

The Bull, The Swan, The Queens Arms, Cross Keys, Jolly Waterman, Miller of Mansfield, Beetle & Wedge, Copper Inn, Leatherne Bottel...mean anything to you :D

Well put it this way, I live behind the Miller (but don't drink there) my son works in the Catherine Wheel (one you missed!), I get all my nifty bits and pieces from the chandler behind the Beetle & Wedge and we just moved here from behind the Bull....
So no not really!
I take it you're familiar with the watering holes of the whole of the South (and quite possibly North) of this fair land?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Well put it this way, I live behind the Miller (but don't drink there) my son works in the Catherine Wheel (one you missed!), I get all my nifty bits and pieces from the chandler behind the Beetle & Wedge and we just moved here from behind the Bull....
So no not really!
I take it you're familiar with the watering holes of the whole of the South (and quite possibly North) of this fair land?

Tried to send you a pm...however...If the 62 in your handle refers to your birth year, we are the same age, although if you are 62 years old then what follows might still be true anyway...unless of course you are actually the ghost of Danny La Rue :D . I grew up in Woodcote/Checkendon...and if you have lived there since you were a kid...we have no doubt propped up the same bars quite possibly at the same time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE